Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gopha Girl ( Springer Tug )  (Read 39737 times)

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Gopha Girl ( Springer Tug )
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2016, 04:05:13 pm »

Nice work Joe,
          Its given me food for thought! what dimensions is she and what running gear motor,prop size etc have you put in? She looks good on the water well done.
                Cheers,
                     Faz. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2016, 04:35:25 pm »

Hi Faz she's the standard Springer size, 18"x 8" I've used a 540 motor I had spare, and a 50 mm three blade prop, the formula for the hull is under plans in the Springer section.  :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2016, 04:52:36 pm »

@ radiojoe,  you could try reducing the voltage to the fan as this will reduce the output to the funnel.

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2016, 06:54:47 pm »

Hi Ken, to be fair the photo was taken at full throttle, a setting I rarely use when afloat, the smoke is proportional to the throttle, I think she would need a snorkel if I used full ahead unless she was pushing something heavy  %%

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2016, 09:43:51 pm »

nice model Joe and a good read

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2016, 10:39:20 pm »

G'day Joe,

Just picked up on your build the other day and you've done a  great job and it looks the part.

Some months ago while I was waiting for my Albert kit to turn up, I cut up some scrap timber and ply and started on a Dredge Tender. Just a couple of inches longer than a Springer, but I thought it looked sort of cute.
He's now at the almost complete stage, but just now making up a heap of wheelhouse details, because of the large window area it needs some clutter within and without. It's only a day cab, so there won't be benches and stuff like you have in yours

I was interested in the conversations on your build regarding rudders, and on Derrick I made a pattern and cast some in Urethane to the photos I had showing the wide horizontal fins on both sides of the rudder. It should be quite effective, but he hasn't been wet yet, so that is still an unknown.
Derrick is powered by a 12v car aerial motor, direct driving a 50mm 4 blade tug prop, so down on revs but up on thrust. Initially he'll be powered by 6v gel cell, then maybe 7.4V lipo, or if all else fails, 12v Gel. Hopefully the performance will be adequate.

Ian.

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2016, 10:52:10 pm »

Just realised after I had posted, that the image of the rudder wasn't the preferred one, so I add it here. Hopefully got it right this time!

Ian.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2016, 11:02:53 pm »

Hi Ian,  Thanks for your kind comments, that's an interesting build you've done let us know how she/he sails, I think they're great fun to build without the constraints of making it look like an actual vessel I fancy making another one at some point maybe when I've completed my present build. :-))

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2016, 06:47:43 am »

G'day Joe and others,

Finally got Derrick wet today for the first time, and no prior bath trials. What you see is what we got, with two x 2S ( 7.4v ) lipo's, one for power and one as a spare and no other ballast. He was a little heavy in the stern, but he performed perfectly with no nasty surprises. The scale rudder worked well and he turns very quickly. He's not underpowered which I was worried about , using the 12v motor and direct drive to the 50mm prop. He was built heavy and has far more timber inside than he really needed,
But that's how I tend to build stuff!
Just waiting for some 100mm figures to apply some surgery on for crew. Also still need to fit the door and a few other detail bits like the Furuno Radome which I'm having decals made for the name.
As I mentioned in a previous post, this model is not a springer, being 2 inches longer, and is scaled off a pretty ordinary drawing and images I found on the web of this particular vessel.
He will make a great rescue boat, as his performance is better than expected and with the large prop and unusual rudder, turns well in both directions.
And the pond was much cleaner today, as they hadn't been pumping for irrigation for a few days!

Ian

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2016, 07:30:35 am »

Looks good on the water Ian, slightly stern down is not a bad thing on these type of hulls they're inclined to nose dive a bit as speed, mine's 12 volt with a 50 mm prop, she was pushing a 6 foot sheet of ice around the lake on Thursday, and the retro fitted smoke generator worked very well, got it from a guy in your neck of the woods. :-))

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2016, 08:29:20 am »

No ice here, but a cooler day today at around 35C!  I almost ran down a long necked tortoise who stuck his head up for air at the wrong time!

I'd be worried if any of my diesel engines ( real trucks ) blew white smoke like your tug. A bit of black is quite healthy when working hard, but not white!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2016, 09:49:54 am »

Yes Ian know what you mean, if it was a full sized tug I'd be quite worried too.  %% %% %) {-) {-)

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2016, 11:25:48 am »

Looks good on the water Ian, slightly stern down is not a bad thing on these type of hulls they're inclined to nose dive a bit as speed, mine's 12 volt with a 50 mm prop, she was pushing a 6 foot sheet of ice around the lake on Thursday, and the retro fitted smoke generator worked very well, got it from a guy in your neck of the woods. :-))

Joe: I think you may be referring to the SG-1 smoke gen, same as I have - an excellent bit of gear. The Aussie guy seems to have disappeared from Ebay and I wish to buy another. I lost his contact details, so I wondered if you have any way I might contact him? Thanks IA Bob. 

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2016, 12:04:33 pm »

Hi Nemo, yes Kevin is still about, I just had my third one delivered last week 9 days from the other side of the world, I waited longer for stuff in the UK, he goes under the name Chopperflyboy,  :-))

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2016, 07:56:02 pm »

Thanks Joe, but where does 'Choppeflyboy' live on the internet?  :o Do you mean Ebay?

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2016, 08:24:54 pm »

Yes he sells on an e-bay shop, if you enter chopperflyboy in any search engine it should come up with what you want :-))

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2016, 10:06:03 am »

Found him. Many thanx Joe.  :-))

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2016, 08:56:20 am »

I've been trying to find suitable crew figures for the little Dredge Tender at around 1:16, but there's not much about, so I bought a set of 4 Bruce Lee Kung Fu figures of Fleabay at 100mm tall for under AU$10. Poses were totally useless as they come, but after some serious surgery to the most acceptable figure who was squatting like he was on the lav, I poured silicone rubber over his body segments and cast off a batch in polyurethane.

The plastic used on the original figures is a greasy semi soft PVC, which Superglue and car bog refuse to stick to, but it did hold together well enough to make a mould of his lower torso with surgically straightened legs, and these new cast components are now able to be filed and cut and glued with no problems.

I've done some arm changes as well, so the first figure will be the skipper. His very chinese coat, with some minor alteration will become a safety vest in orange with some reflective stripes, and his slip-on casual shoes will remain as they are, as they won't be seen when he's on duty.

The smaller figures are modified 1:24 Tamiya Pit Crew I chopped a lot of years ago for one of my tugs. Again in polyurethane, they are easy to work and alter poses, but the plastic used in the Tamiya figures is injected Styrene and works and glues well with solvent type glues.

Ian

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2016, 03:04:09 pm »

After a couple of outings I wasn't happy with the smoke performance, nothing wrong with the super smoker that works fine, what was happening was when sailing with the wind astern the wind was blowing the smoke back down the exhausts and into the boat and out of the forward vents, probably due to the angle at the top of the exhausts, it looked weird so I've decided not to have smoke in the Springer,
instead, after a recent evening sail at the club where we had around 15 boats on the water all lit to various degrees, and I realised I only had my Envoy Tug that had nav lights I thought I'd fit some to Gopha Girl and ordered some nano chip lights Red, Green and two bright white, from JS Miniatures a good source of all things lights, pre wired with resistors and various voltages, and the all important good service, www.smallscalelights.co.uk ,here's the result, the lens for the 360 light is the top of a biro pen and the flood on the front ram is a spare I had in the bottom of my odds and ends box the nanochips fit just about anywhere.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2016, 10:41:53 pm »

Lovely illuminations Joe.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.