The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Yachts and Sail

J Class Yacht 'Georgiana'

(1/7) > >>

Ramon:
Quite sometime back I posted on here my wifes and mine new found experience of sailing with our Joysway Focus with the Norwich Club. Well since that time the passion for sailing has grown considerably, racing weekly through the season at NMBC's Eaton Park pond with a couple of Thetis one metres and pre owned Enigma and Cumulus marbleheads. We still have the Focus's but it's only my wife now who sails hers regularly.

Just after we began I saw the J Class hulls produced by Alan Horne and though having little sailing experience at the time decided to purchase one 'just in case the supply disappeared'. Well, it's taken a while due to other modelling commitments but I'm pleased to say that at last it's finished and ready for the water, the final touches done today. It did get it's bottom wet a fortnight ago but it was far too windy so it got a ten second splash just to see how it sat in the water. The couple of items that required improving were done this afternoon ready for Saturday when hopefully the weather will be more suitable.

Anyway here she is - I've called it Georgiana in tribute to the Lowestoft (my home town) beach yawl described in Malcolm Darch's book 'Modelling Maritime History'

She's rigged the same as our one metres using the removable winch system recommended by Alan (Horne). My original intention was to make this as near scale as practical but having seen just how much time decks spend underwater decided to keep it very much 'stand off'. The decks are planked with lime and mahogany on top of 1.5mm ply and finished with 'Canbrush' clear laquer, a product which, used on the refurbed marblehead, has proved to be extremely resilient to cracking and abrasion.

For anyone considering doing the same I can thoroughly recommend Alan's product. The finish of the hull was truly superb, the laser cut wood parts matching the inside profiles extremely well requiring very little work. The moulded ballast too, snapped into position deep in it's place. No, I honestly have no connection - just extremely satisfied with the product at a cost far less than the Thetis one metre. For me that represents extremely good value.

There are a few other pics of the build should anyone wish to see them but apart from those if the weather is kind, Saturday will see her on the water for a decent trial - I'll get some pics if possible and report back on her handling.

Regards - Ramon

Ramon:
With no response it's a bit hard to know if there's any interest in this but as promised here are a few pics of the yacht on her first outing.
She performed well throughout the day with a steadily increasing breeze and handled superbly. No luffing up nor falling off was experienced and quite a bit faster than anticipated. She does heel over quite a bit compared to the one metres but that's to be expected. My wife had first privilege and it was a good hour before I could get hold of the tranny  {:-{  but between us we sailed her for most of the day. Once home a good check over showed some very slight swelling here and there where the clear coat on the deck must have been a bit thin so before the next outing the fittings will have to come off and another couple of layers applied. Apart from that no mishaps - so we are well pleased :-) . Hopefully we'll be able to make the Nottingham event in July.

We had a day off from our usual racing and had the first of our 'open' days hence the barges and wherry.

Hope the pics convey the moment

Ramon

JayDee:
Hello Ramon,

You have made a very nice job of building the boat  :-)).
Alan's boats are very good, the finish on the hulls is exceptional.
Glad to see another J sailing !!.

John.

SailorGreg:
Lovely J there Ramon. If you have any pictures of the build I am sure there are plenty who would like to see them.  A J is on my (rather long) list of boats I would like to build.

Greg

mrpenguin:
Ramon:
Thanks for sharing the photos, she is a beautiful boat and looks great on the water  :-))

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version