Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My other hobies and stuff  (Read 6722 times)

Just Add Water

My other hobies and stuff
« on: May 09, 2015, 06:11:32 pm »

I am very interested in Bonsai trees I have 8 now, and also I love playing my Acoustic Guitar, playing the Didgeridoo  that most people hate :-( but I enjoy it, if it is played right it can be very therapeutic. and relaxing.
This guy is awesome. Watch it all to the end.

https://youtu.be/JEgXAu30yuY

https://youtu.be/XHSRv4Hsxn0

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: My other hobies and stuff
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 11:40:50 pm »

I have a go at Bonsai, but have settled on larger pots for ease of maintenance, this results in larger leaves of course but they are tough, so more small trees in pots rather than true Bonsai. My favourites are Beeches and Acers, I create my own from all manner of sources. I'll take some photos some time.

Just Add Water

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 06:17:01 pm »

I have a go at Bonsai, but have settled on larger pots for ease of maintenance, this results in larger leaves of course but they are tough, so more small trees in pots rather than true Bonsai. My favourites are Beeches and Acers, I create my own from all manner of sources. I'll take some photos some time.

I have 7 bonsai trees and most are over 30 years old but one is nearly 60 years old and I find them easy to grow they just need water every day.

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 08:46:48 pm »

A couple of phone pics

I only have time for basic training and watering. Here's an example of the sort of thing I have trained myself, collected from managed woodland at an estimated 5 years old, in training as it were for about 15-18 years, can't remember. It's about 28" tall, which means moving it for photos is tricky, so pick it out from the Pyracantha behind and other stuff around. The garden is a long time WIP and the space for these to be set out properly for viewing has not been reached yet  :-)

This is another Beech formed from part of a dug up hedge that surrounded the local garden centre, my Wife worked there and rescued it from a JCB'd pile of them. This is known to be about 30 years old, but to be honest I'm not that fussed about actual age, more the creation of the perception of age. All of my trees are still a long way away from root reduction for creating the finer structures, but then that's Bonsai, the only way to a finished tree is time, or buying one. Again, too large to move for a quick photo at about 32".

Semi Bonsai  :-)

Just Add Water

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 07:11:49 pm »

Well they both look great where they are, you can root cut them both as they are established, the best time is March just as the new leaves start, I use Acadama soil to re-pot them.
It is important to root prune every 2 years, but I must admit I haven't done mine for 3 years and they still flourish.
Nice pics BTW.
Bernie.

kaybrandt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 09:39:28 am »

I love bonsai trees, but I've never managed to keep ANY plants alive, apart from those in my aquarium... I either forget them or overwater.. but I really love to look at how other people maintain their beautiful small-scale trees.

I also love the sound of the didgeridoo, its very hypnotizing.

- karina
Selfdone isn't always welldone - but it was fun!

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 10:44:17 am »

There's a lot of theories out there for what's best for Bonsai, but after some years of trying various things I settled on a simple formula that seems to work for my standoff approach to the art, where I like to have the odd period where I shape trees etc, but mostly just treat them as any other potted plant.  My wife is an expert gardener and she also uses this method. Any regular compost is fine, ericaceous for acers and others than need acid soils, and regular for anything else, avoid sandy types like John Innes no 2 or ones with loads of bark in them. Mix that with 1/3 coarse grit, and 1/8 garden loam (regular soil, but not chalky types). Ensure the pot has good drainage with gauze over the drain holes, and a layer of corse grit in the bottom of the pot. This formula can be watered till it's sodden, but will drain readily pulling desirable air down into the soil. The loam helps to keep moisture, but in essence its very difficult to over water. So, as long as you water regularly you don't have to worry about watering too much, it takes the sensitivity away from that side of the care.

kaybrandt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 10:52:31 am »

thank you for that detailed description, Jerry,  :-))

- karina

Just Add Water

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 05:17:10 pm »

Jerry, that is about how I look after my trees, one other thing, don't do to much wire bending I did when I started and ended up with some weird looking trees.

Keep them natural.

Just Add Water

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 05:18:44 pm »

I love bonsai trees, but I've never managed to keep ANY plants alive, apart from those in my aquarium... I either forget them or overwater.. but I really love to look at how other people maintain their beautiful small-scale trees.

I also love the sound of the didgeridoo, its very hypnotizing.

- karina

Playing a didji is very easy when you get the circular breathing relaxed.

kaybrandt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 05:34:17 pm »

what kind of wood is it Didgeridoos are made of?

- karina

Just Add Water

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 03:51:53 pm »

what kind of wood is it Didgeridoos are made of?

- karina

Hi Karina,

The one I have is from the base of a  eucalyptus tree, and was naturally hollowed out by termites.
I bought it in Queensland and it was painted by a local  Aborigine I have a picture of him.
Here are both my didgies the top one is genuine from Australia the one at the bottom is a bamboo but sounds awful the one with a snake or serpent in red.
The artist is at the bottom.

Regards,
Bernie.

kaybrandt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 04:42:07 pm »

Bernie, wow, they're pieces of art.

I recently moved to a new home and the plan is to have a music section somewhere, also with instruments displayed on the wall, such as a bagpipe, bodrahn but i'd also love a small scale Didgeridoo, i think they're great.

- karina

Just Add Water

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 09:38:07 am »

Bernie, wow, they're pieces of art.

I recently moved to a new home and the plan is to have a music section somewhere, also with instruments displayed on the wall, such as a bagpipe, bodrahn but i'd also love a small scale Didgeridoo, i think they're great.

- karina

I also have some other works of art my Orchids here are some of them.

Just Add Water

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 09:40:46 am »

And some more.
By the way what is a bodrahn ?

kaybrandt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 10:27:36 am »

oh what beautiful orchids you have. my mum loves orchids too and have so many different.

a bodrahn is an Irish drum which is to be played in a very special way with only one stick, where you use both ends.

- karina

Just Add Water

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 11:42:06 am »

oh what beautiful orchids you have. my mum loves orchids too and have so many different.

a bodrahn is an Irish drum which is to be played in a very special way with only one stick, where you use both ends.

- karina

O yes I know it, and seen it played in some Pubs here.

Bernie.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 04:14:13 pm »

I believe this is a bodrahn? Give it a minute or two to get through the intro...and look to the left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GctPGblNUuY
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Just Add Water

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 07:23:02 pm »

I believe this is a bodrahn? Give it a minute or two to get through the intro...and look to the left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GctPGblNUuY

Fantastic music and well worth the applause.
I love the Irish music.

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 10:11:35 pm »

According to some fairly recent research, humans are 'pre-wired' with an appreciation of drumming. Sorry, can't remember when/where I read this.

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.