Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A NEW LIFEBOAT MODEL... STEAM LIFEBOAT QUEEN  (Read 43242 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
A NEW LIFEBOAT MODEL... STEAM LIFEBOAT QUEEN
« on: May 10, 2015, 06:20:34 pm »

Many many years ago ( I think I was about 10 years old), my grandfather gave me a set of true blue prints for an old lifeboat that he, as a master pattern maker, had worked on, as a very young apprentice only for me to store them away for many more years until my  skills had been honed to close what they are now.
It was about 25 years ago that I took a look at them and realised what they were.......blue prints of the Duke of Northumberland, the first Hydraulic powered steam lifeboat built in 1886.
this to all intents and purposes was Water Jet Drive, long before the modern jet drive systems of such boats as the Dutch Valentijn and the RNLI Shannon class boats use.

It incorporated a twin cylinder horizontal compound steam engine running a centrifugal  pump which sucked in water through a scoop in the keel of the hull, to be blown out of forward and reverse facing outlets on the sides of the hull.

I made a  plug and mould of the boat at 1:12 scale  including a hull, which ( having been made of steel/iron? was plated, and these plate lines were taken from the original blue prints, and were visible on the mouldings.

Sadly two "happenings" were to occur. The original moulds and mouldings which had been in storage at a "friends" house were thrown away as the friend thought I didn't want it because it had been months if not a year or more since I had touched it because of other commitments ( i.e. the arrival of my first daughter), and whilst n a holiday from the school I taught at, the plans "went missing", never to be seen again.

And that was the end of the story until a fortnight ago, when I saw a plug for sale on ebay of her sister boat, the 56' Hydraulic lifeboat QUEEN.

I notified Baloo on here and told him about it as he has a smaller scale model of the boat.

He told me he was watching it and was going to bid on her.

I told him that I wouldn't interfere, but if he did buy it, and fancied me making moulds and mouldings I would, and so we came to an arrangement........and the boat plug ended up in my back lounge, lol.

Who ever made this plug, and it's not so old being made from bread and butter MDF has made the most beautiful job on it that I have ever seen. There is slight damage to the hull which will be a doddle to repair and she has been marked fastidiously with shell plate and  station/support beam lines, making it a real easy process once the lengths of plates has been determined and a little filling and sanding to plate.

And so  this will be my next project after the ferry.........complete with hydraulic drive, which I have also been thinking about, and in the next post will be revealing how I wish to go about that......but for now some photos of the hull showing all the markings for plating and a view of her port quarter of those beautiful and exquisite lines of her.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A NEW LIFEBOAT MODEL... STEAM LIFEBOAT QUEEN
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 06:52:55 pm »

just typed in a lengthy post and the  thing was rejected because it was too large when I put the photo on..............so a quick question from those in the know about 3D printing.....

would this pump casing be feasible to make from a printer say using a 3mm thick wall, and would it be strong enough to take pressures akin to a water jet washer

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 10:16:40 am »

Welcome back matey! I also saw this plug on ebay and wondered at the time which boat it could be. How did you know it was the Queen?
Charlie

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 10:29:20 am »

Neil do you have the drawings if not I have a copy of both the Duke & Queen from original blue prints regards Bill..

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 10:42:48 am »

Neil,
as to your question re 3D printing.
Yes that could be done, even on a small "home" style 3D printer.
At 3mm thick and in ABS, would be more than enough to take the pressure.
I'd do the acetone soak though, it makes the part so much stronger.
If you wanted someone like SHAPEWAYS to do it for you, then you could use reinforced nylon or similar if you wanted.
So many materials out there to choose from.
All the bits could be done that way
cheers
 :-))
ps - welcome back
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 03:51:01 pm »

Welcome back matey! I also saw this plug on ebay and wondered at the time which boat it could be. How did you know it was the Queen?
Charlie

Recognised the water scoop in the keel of the hull Charlie......just like the one I had built of the duke some 20 odd years ago.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 03:53:24 pm »

Neil do you have the drawings if not I have a copy of both the Duke & Queen from original blue prints regards Bill..

yes please Bill.........would love them, especially when I miss those precious ones I once had. cheers.
I shall reimburse any expenses. neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 03:56:07 pm »

Neil,
as to your question re 3D printing.
Yes that could be done, even on a small "home" style 3D printer.
At 3mm thick and in ABS, would be more than enough to take the pressure.
I'd do the acetone soak though, it makes the part so much stronger.
If you wanted someone like SHAPEWAYS to do it for you, then you could use reinforced nylon or similar if you wanted.
So many materials out there to choose from.
All the bits could be done that way
cheers
 :-))
ps - welcome back

cheers matey........I know nothing about this black art at the mo, but once I have got the moulds made at the back end of the year I will be able to fabricate a wooden pattern of the exact size I want for the boat, and take it from there.........but can do nothing till I get a hull moulded.

cheers, neil.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 05:11:21 pm »

Drawings and a technical article about this boat appeared in "The Engineer"  in 1890,  you can download a PDF file copy from the link below

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=06221903006981358267

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 07:04:15 pm »

Bill,are you going to "Mobile marine Show" on saturday  16th may ( this saturday)

Baloo   martin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 08:58:51 pm »

great to speak with you this evening Bill,.................a real pleasure.

and thanks for the offer of the plans...........will look forward to looking at them and getting the build in motion..........all systems go for the autumn winter build.

thanks very much.

now guys, can I as my next question........where is  the late Les Jone's beautiful model of Duke of Northumberland.............would love to look at the hydraulic system the fitted into her hull to give me ideas of how to go forward...........if anyone knows could they please let me know.

cheers, neil.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 09:06:08 pm »

It was recently at Holyhead Maritime Museum, which was their original lifeboat station and is probably still there.

Holyhead Maritime Museum
 Newry Beach
 Beach Road        Holyhead        Anglesey        LL65 1YD        Wales - UK          Email:        GerryThomas48@gmail.com      
  Phone:        01407 769745

Holyhead lifeboat station will definitely know where it is right now.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 09:22:51 pm »

thanks for the info......great news............will contact them. cheers.

Duncan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 09:14:46 pm »

Drawings and a technical article about this boat appeared in "The Engineer"  in 1890,  you can download a PDF file copy from the link below

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=06221903006981358267

PDF scans of the periodical  The Engineer from 1856 to 1960 are available at http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Main_Page
There is other engineering information on the site and they have started scanning the periodical Engineering from 1866 as well.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 08:15:15 am »

thanks for the link.........I have those on A4 sheets that I was given a short while ago, as I lost them when my plans were "taken".

but have now got plans coming from Morley Bill, who traced them some years ago..............my saviour. cheers. neil.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2017, 03:28:11 pm »

Just been chatting to Neil  via the old tellingbone and he has told me that now that his model for his daughter has been completed, his model for the steam lifeboat is now on the bench and ready to be built.

if any one wishes to view the build it can be seen on the two forums below, complete with his step by step fabrication of the mould and moulding process to manufacture moulds for the lifeboat and her two sisters.

http://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t1539-steam-hydraulic-lifeboat#13997

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2915440-Hydraulic-steam-lifeboat#post37832463

hope you enjoy the build. I am looking forward to seeing one of his lifeboat creations come to fruition.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2017, 09:39:48 pm »

That's great news Jim - I'll pop across and follow in the background - thank you for the heads up :-))

Regards,

Ray.

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 09:15:26 am »

I am so looking forward to the build on this,not your normal lifeboat build, no disrespect to you lifeboat modellers out there.

Baloo

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Stavros

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 12:45:26 pm »

Get the  build up on here m8

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 08:52:49 pm »

took the trip down to Southport today for my GRP supplies...about 45 miles...........nearly had apoplexy when I pulled up outside Glasplies only to find a new company called TRICEL........and thought i'd had a wasted 3 hour return journey.............

not to be put off I entered the inner sanctum and found that it was the good old Glasplies that I had known fo years, but with a new owner and name....

so anyone wanting to buy from them over the counter or by order/delivery they still go under both names for a while.

anyway, I bought my stuff.........

20klo's of resin, 2.5 klo's white gell coat, blue release agent, release wax, catylist and chopped strand and surface tissue............got my silicon gloves, got my measure jugs.................am ready for blast off, once I have waxed up the plugs and put the flange on the hull plug............just need some disposable brushes from the pound shop, as cheaper than acetone for cleaning them...and more environmentally and lung friendly

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 09:02:27 pm »

Fantastic to see you back on here Neil - been following on the other forum, as a guest - love to follow your efforts, in particular your GRP exploits, warts and all. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 09:13:25 pm »

thanks Ray..........I succumbed to requests to post my build on here again.....so best behave myself..............and there'll be plenty of warts I can assure you, lol.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 09:16:33 pm »

I'VE already found one.............just bought the wrong size silicon gloves I use when laying up.........but I reckon I can get my arthritic fingers into medium rather than my usual large...........if not, it's back to the pink marigolds %% :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2017, 12:51:59 am »

Ahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh   :o

Welcome back my friend.....whilst ye mate Jim was keeping us up to date on a few things, he didn't really have much knowledge on OZ  %)

We look forward your new detailed build here on MBM

...and so to welcome you back.....I'll drink a toast to you with OETTINGER German Pils in 1/2 litre cans  {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.