Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: update from intro section  (Read 2592 times)

wild1

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
update from intro section
« on: November 24, 2017, 02:29:25 pm »

Hi and Good Afternoon,

Referring to my introduction in the newbie section, I still have not taken the step to build my severn class 1/12 scale lifeboat. I am still living in hope that some one will want to sell a completed model.

However as time goes on I may have to take the plunge as it where, I am not getting any younger hahaha. Can anyone advise me on the difficulty level of putting the speedline kits together please? Has anyone ever put any other engine inside other than electric motors? I am looking at the 1/12 scale severn class.

Does everything come in the kit or are there still parts to buy extra to the kit. I would need to buy everything one go because buying anything here in Malaysia for model building is totally non existent. that would include paints and glues as well.

This is why a completed model might be less stress but these are difficult to find.

regards,

Stephen

Cornishman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: update from intro section
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 05:02:28 pm »

Electric motors are all you can use in a lifeboat such as this.
 I would suggest that a Speedline 1/12 scale lifeboat is hardly a beginners model.

There are always bits and pieces you will need in addition to that which comes in a kit. For example, transmitter, receiver, servos, speed controllers, bow thruster, batteries, paint, etc,etc,etc.

wild1

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 10:36:12 pm »

Thanks for the reply,
I am no beginner to building models it is just that i have never built a boat before.
I was thinking that if it was pure assembly then I can do this, slowly. If there is a lot of manufacturing to do then I will be stuck because I don't have a lathe or milling machine.
Also model making tools are not freely available where I live so a check list of tools required would be great from someone who has already built the model. Time and patience I have but as I said earlier I would need to purchase as much as I can up front because getting stuff here is a pain and all has to be shipped in from overseas.
If it is an assembly project then I think I can do it, if special skills are required then I cannot i guess.
If I can buy a boat complete then better still it will save lots of  hassles at this end.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply I appreciate your comments.

Stephen

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 10:50:19 pm »

Electric motors are all you can use in a lifeboat such as this.
 I would suggest that a Speedline 1/12 scale lifeboat is hardly a beginners model.
There are always bits and pieces you will need in addition to that which comes in a kit. For example, transmitter, receiver, servos, speed controllers, bow thruster, batteries, paint, etc,etc,etc.

I beg to differ on that high lighted section of your post.......some years ago on this website one gentleman put a chainsaw ICE engine into his 1;12 scale Arun, and it went very well indeed. Martin will vouch for its handling and performance as the guy took it to Wicksteed one year..

forget the guy's name but although a few on here including myself thought he was totally nuts when he started the build project, we were amazed by its superb handling and performance.........and the Arun is similar in size to the Severn model at the same scale......it had a home built gearbox that ran the twin props from one engine coupled to it.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 01:11:23 am »

If you are very concerned about taking on a non beginners model, then you could leave it in the box for now, and buy a kit more suited to your level. This will be a good skill building exercise, give you confidence and a sense of achievement, and a finished model to sail. I did read somewhere that many new modelers take on projects that are too hard, lose hope and give up modelling, which is a shame.
You might find that Hobbyking (online, based in Hong Kong) will have some of the power systems you would want to use.
As for lathe work etc. If I was where you are, I would try to find a little backstreet workshop that will be willing to do a one-off item. This will be cheaper, and possibly easier than buying tools you may only use once.

Living in China it used to be almost impossible to find the tools I wanted (unless I wanted to buy a shipping container full). But now with Taobao, I can find almost anything, the biggest problem I have is working around the Chinese language (Google translate helps). I hear that Alibaba (Taobao, etc) is establishing in Malaysia. That would be a good source, in the meantime, you could use Taobao in Chinese and see who will ship to Malaysia.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Cornishman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 09:11:20 am »

Have a look on the Model slipway site. There is a lot of information which will give you an idea of model boat building.
Website is  www.modelslipway.com  or Speedline models site.

CJ1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 07:30:42 pm »

...."Does everything come in the kit or are there still parts to buy extra to the kit. I would need to buy everything one go because buying anything here in Malaysia for model building is totally non existent. that would include paints and glues as well."...

Hi Stephen,
I have built the Speedline 1/12 Tamar.
They are beautifully manufactured semi-complete kits. It and the Severn are not complete kits at all. They need a lot of extra homemade, scratch built parts and a good selection of tools (although not necessarily a lathe. I used a friends lathe for the few parts I needed). You will also need to buy all the glues, fillers and the paints to complete the model, as well as motors, servos, wiring, batteries, controllers etc.
You really do need quite a bit of model making experience to do the kit justice. However, you will then have a fantastic model.
Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.