Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A NEW LIFEBOAT MODEL... STEAM LIFEBOAT QUEEN  (Read 42866 times)

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
Re: A NEW LIFEBOAT MODEL... STEAM LIFEBOAT QUEEN
« Reply #150 on: November 07, 2017, 11:17:50 pm »

Neil,
Yet again some superb work by yourself, along with the step-by-step construction commentary that helps us all learn along the way the  processes and techniques you have employed in the build itself [some totally new to many of us] - even allowing an insight when things go wrong.
Watching and enjoying very much.
Kim

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: November 07, 2017, 11:32:30 pm »

Neil,
Yet again some superb work by yourself, along with the step-by-step construction commentary that helps us all learn along the way the  processes and techniques you have employed in the build itself [some totally new to many of us] - even allowing an insight when things go wrong.
Watching and enjoying very much.
Kim

Thanks for those kind comments Kim,............and if I didn't mention  the cock ups that I make, I wouldn't have half as much to write about,  {-) ................but its all a learning cycle at the end of the day...........there's another big blunder coming up..............but I'm trying to work out best way to avoid the problem..............we shall see. %% %% %%

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2017, 09:11:17 pm »

The two side benches have been glued trimmed and sanded...................just need to be stained now and then ready for fitting eventually once other fittings have been put in place underneath the benches final positions.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: November 08, 2017, 10:02:55 pm »

Neil.....that is a rather large volume in the Well Deck :o...In the old image of the D of N.....we do not see any scupper drains from the Well, above water level that is [or unless they are below the rubbing strake?]

Do your plans indicate these?.....as a big green jolly could fill the Well very quickly...

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2017, 10:39:42 pm »

Neil.....that is a rather large volume in the Well Deck :o ...In the old image of the D of N.....we do not see any scupper drains from the Well, above water level that is [or unless they are below the rubbing strake?]

Do your plans indicate these?.....as a big green jolly could fill the Well very quickly...

Derek

hi Derek..........no.........there is no detailing on the plans of side scuppers.............BUT there are circular rings, un-named on the plans which I presume are self bailing tubes with none return valves [ usually a ball valve at that time I believe  ] which were noted on the plans of similar age to those which I made the two pulling/sailing lifeboats from [now in the masterclass section].........here's a photo of them .............but literally just rings on the plan. the actual valves were just tubes running from the deck through the hull at the bottom with the valve in............very primitive but worked well.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: I tried........oh how I tried!!!
« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2017, 03:40:52 pm »

This afternoon I went down to the Volkswagon garage to pay for a repair on my daughters' Polo, when this beauty pulled up.........the owner and I got chatting about it and le let me sit in the passenger set..............never been offered that by a Ferrari driver................what a beautiful looking car.........tried to swap it for two model lifeboats...............but he just didn't seem interested...........can't understand why not.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2017, 04:31:01 pm »

You should have realised Neil, the going rate for that model of Ferrari is THREE model lifeboats  {-)
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2017, 05:32:15 pm »

bob, for the advice..............I must try harder next time...........but I'd only give one lifeboat for a Ferrari..........that beasty was a Lamborghini Aventador rag top............... a far more beautiful car ........well, in my mind.............but I'm a bit odd like that, lol.

Anyway.........that was a nice brief diversion.........back to the build lol................but I can still dream.

The laths have been glued to the fore and aft bench seats now, and sanded evenly to the same thickness as the curved port and starboard benches., approximately 0.75mm thick. having marked where the centres of the laths on the benches fit at the mitres they fit pretty well.

And then all have been stained with deep mahogany wood stain. I'll let this dry before I paint with satin yacht varnish.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2017, 11:33:27 pm »

Neil...In the old image of the D of N.....
Derek

by the way Derek..........that picture if labelled Duke of N is wrong........its either the Queen or City of Glasgow...........single funnel and much less bulbous rear and in fact fore end boxes and the Duke ando had a semi circular tunnel to hide the steering linkages on the top of the aft box.........this boat doesn't have it.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2017, 01:29:57 am »

Neil......the image I used was from posting #80 in this thread.....apparently 1890 images from Grace's Guide to the  D of N  %) .... it certainly bears the reference to the D of N

The image is so square on, could there be a second funnel hiding behind the Port side funnel......how many guy wires are there on each funnel?

I am sure the RN were the greatest organization in the World....to have Plans drawn, approved for construction & some Desk Admiral changes his mind & the ship as built bears little resemblance in detail to the original plan...so the same may have happened with smaller vessels.....

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: November 10, 2017, 09:00:39 am »

aye...................sorry to doubt you derek............spot on as usual mate............it would seem that the tunnel on the aft end box must have been added at a later stage.

you can see from this model and another picture of the real thing that the "tunnel" is present............but I think i'll leave it off as your picture shows, as thought it a little unsightly.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: November 10, 2017, 09:21:08 am »

Neil....are these 2 points...the fwd suction and aft discharge of the ''self bailing" venturi system you mention?...if this is the case, would these 2 to be for the engine room?  ...or would the engine room space bilge be lower than this?

Or could the scuppers from the Well Deck be ported or plumbed fwd to the wider beam? [to catch a greater water flow for the inlet/suction]
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2017, 09:55:49 am »

Neil....are these 2 points...the fwd suction and aft discharge of the ''self bailing" venturi system you mention?...if this is the case, would these 2 to be for the engine room?  ...or would the engine room space bilge be lower than this?

Or could the scuppers from the Well Deck be ported or plumbed here? [to catch a greater water flow for the inlet/suction]

hi derek.....those, and the same on the other side are the outlets for the fore and aft propulsion [photos 1 and 2].......the induction of water is centrally sited on the duke as can be seen in photo on the very first post I made on this thread in 2015.....last photo................the inlets/outlets for the queen and city of g were different..........the queen WAS the same as the duke to begin with but for some reason kept clogging on trials and for some time after and it and the last of the jet boats was changed to a different configutation that I cannot work out and why I changed from building the Glasgow to the Duke.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
The art of improvisation
« Reply #163 on: November 10, 2017, 03:15:49 pm »

A useful tip for those with a laithe.

I have come to the point where I need to make the bases for the funnels......I have the brass should I need it to turn a base which will end as a plug to sit the funnels in for the Duke of Northumberland which is 25mm diameter, but the funnel for the Queen is over 30mm diameter and I haven't any brass of over 35-38mm to turn one for this funnel, and I know a man who needs one to fit that diameter funnel. so rather than buy a chunk of brass long enough to steady in a 3 jaw chuck on my laithe I decided to go down the route that I have done before.

As you can see I throw little away in my workshop, thinking "one day"......and the used silicon gun tubes once empty is no different.Today was just one of "those days"...

I cut the tube down to a length needed, and san one end into a wodge of plastecine, set on some greased baking paper.Then placing the tube into a margarine tub to prevent any leaking onto the bench I mixed some polyester resin.....same as what I use for laying up moulds and poured it into the tube, and left to set.

Later I'll be able to turn the bases that I need from the solid cylinder of resin.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2017, 07:05:54 pm »

well, that went well.............I think not............a case of far too much catalyst to resin......which has resulted in the whole thing crazing and cracking.

back to the drawing board, and start again.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2017, 10:47:48 pm »

this time I used some finishing epoxy resin that I bought some time ago to do a small job and had almost all the twin bottles left.........that seems to have done the trick, and is just curing at the moment.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2017, 12:52:25 pm »

You may have more success as epoxy produces less heat when curing. The cracking in the polyester resin was due to it overheating. In thin layers like glassing a hull the resin stays cooler as it can lose heat more easily. In larger volumes the heat is trapped and can't escape, in extreme cases the resin can catch fire. You may have had more success if you had put your mold in a container if cold water.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #167 on: November 11, 2017, 01:13:40 pm »

No report yet from Neil, but epoxy is just as prone to a vigorous exothermic reaction as polyester.  Indeed, if mixing a large quantity of epoxy the recommendation is to pour the mix into a shallow tray to delay the heat build up.  Neil, I hope you haven't found out the hard way that epoxy can bite back!   <:(

Greg

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2017, 04:46:49 pm »

ah, yes gents.......never a truer word lol...........Neil, I hope you haven't found out the hard way that epoxy can bite back!    ..........but all my fault......rushing the second one, being arrogant, because the first one came out so well.

first one went so well, but i'd noticed that there were some flaws in the cast resin so picked the worst part to try on..........working very slowly, it went well........and so picked the piece with what looked like the least of the flaw..............and wow, crunch, kaput.......

so I have cast some more resin this afternoon to get the second smaller base for the thinner funnel of the other boat design.........it has now been hardening for nearly 3 hours with a much smaller amount of catalyst.........but at least hopefully it will be without flaws...these cast blanks are polyester resin, not epoxy.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #169 on: November 13, 2017, 04:07:16 pm »

Hi Neil,
Saw another Steam Lifeboat at Warwick, and immediately thought of your project. Hope these may be of some use. I didn't see any info about the boat or the builder, on the stand.
Charlie

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: November 13, 2017, 06:25:18 pm »

thanks Charlie, much appreciated.......there are little things on that boat that give good detailing info. cheers. :-))

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2017, 04:48:40 pm »

made some moulds from rubber last night and  poured the rubber in today........they are odds and sods such as small rope brackets, the supports for the navigation light boards, scuttle ports, well deck drainers and the funnel bases
just waiting for those to cure.

But then staring at the drawings, I realised that if I didn't make a rudder pintel foot, I'd have no rudder, and one embarrassment of my voith powered ferry going round in circles without steerage was enough for anyone, so made a "foot" from 10mm 5 ply, cut an indentation out of the grp keelson and stern post. Drilled the wooden foot, offered it up to the hull and drilled the hull, and then glued and pinned the foot to the hull with 15minute epoxy, and left to set.

I can make the rudder now from laminated layers of 1.6mm ply running at right angles  to each other layer, so that it won't warp and twist. more to come tomorrow.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2017, 12:20:52 pm »

Following on from the rudder skeg, has to follow the rudder itself..........and what a whopper it is. No doubt made large to give better steerage as I don't suppose there was much engine steerage from the water jets themselves.

because it is so large, I decided to make it from birch faced ply for the inner section and mahogany faced water proof ply for the exterior. I also made it from four layers, the outside layers having the grain running vertically and made from 1.8mm ply. one inner layer of 2.0mm thickness had the grain running horizontal, and the final inner layer of 1.5mm ply with the grain running at 45degrees.

I did this in order for stability of the timber, because running the grains alternately, the rudder, as big as it is will not then have a tendency to twist or warp, even if it spends a great deal of time getting wet.........which I doubt will happen anyway. Sadly with my bad back and arthritis they seldom get their bums wet anymore.

you might notice from the first photo that on the rear edge of the rudder, the outer skin overlaps by around 10mm along its length. the other outer skin does also. this is to facilitate the square section brass tube that will be inserted into the trough, which then will be filed at sections to take the brackets that the solid brass bar that will run up through the square section, and through the holed in the brackets which will then be glued into the stern post..............making the whole rudder as one assembly..............if it confuses you, then it has certainly been a brain teaser to me, but all will be revealed once the rudder is glued together. 

I used aliphatic waterproof glue and plenty of clamps to give even pressure all over whilst gluing up. I'll release it in a few hours once cured.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2017, 04:30:42 pm »

Hi Neil,

If you look to Graces Guide and The Engineer of 05/09/1890, you'll find the full report on The Duke of Northumberland where they describe the use of the 'turbine' alone and with the rudder and also the use of the rudder when under lug sail.
Good pic and drawings as well.

Tony

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: November 16, 2017, 04:43:52 pm »

thank tony......I think I have a copy on file but the printing is so small I've only ever read snippets.

however I am sure that they could on the actual boat, manipulate the jets so that, like propellers  could be operated singularly and allow her to spin on her axes.........just have to fin some simple cut off valves that are loose enough for decent servos to be able to operate.

I've tried  plumbers isolation valves but they are far too tight to turn via servo,
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.