Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A NEW LIFEBOAT MODEL... STEAM LIFEBOAT QUEEN  (Read 42883 times)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
Re: A NEW LIFEBOAT MODEL... STEAM LIFEBOAT QUEEN
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2017, 06:46:00 am »

It is unbelievable to have you back my friend, Jim did a great job for you passing things on. Welcome back in spades, now behave like a good boy ( I am holding my breath LOL) It is obvious that you were sorely missed especially your building skills & all the advice. Mick B.
Mick B.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2017, 09:56:54 am »

Welcome back Neil.    :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2017, 12:25:33 pm »

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and good wishes.............think I have banished the gremlins and darkness from my soul and hope to concentrate on building and not arguing, lol

Especial thanks to you guys that have posted and have both kept me in touch, been good friends in my dark hours and also encouraged me to carry on building although slowly.

Depression is a horrible thing, especially when brought on by other illnesses, and fight each other for pole position, and is an ILNESS often either overlooked or shunned by those who don't suffer from it.

If you know someone with depression, please don't cross to the other side of the street to avoid them, whether man or woman.........give them a hug.......a hug is worth a thousand words.......and most of all, don't lose them as a friend, because you never know, they might be able to help you through the same one day.

Take care and keep modelling.

PS,........off out now to start waxing up the plugs ready for moulding.......oh and watch the F1 GP..........Promise I won't give the game away and tell who won it, lol.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2017, 01:03:18 pm »

Great to have you back Neil and using very wise words too....

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2017, 02:13:44 pm »

good to see you on here at last mate.

does that mean I won't be having to keep putting things up for you.........OH JOY!!!

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2017, 05:06:33 pm »

THE three smaller plugs have now had blocks glued to the undersides so that they can be clamped into the workmate whilst laying up the grp.

Next was to attach the flange. This was screwed to the deck level flange. In such a position it left small gaps between the flange and the keel, stem and stern post, and it was this that had to be rectified, but not before fixing firmly in place.

To do so, I first placed some blobs of white tack adhesive "mastic" onto the side that will eventually be laid up as the first side. This was to limit movement from the centre line of the keel of the flange.

Then blobs of white tack were placed on the "back side of the flange to hold in place, before filling the gaps between the blobs of whitetack with moulding plastecine.

Back to the object side of the flange and hull I filled in the tiny gaps between flange and hull using small rolls of plastecine using a small chisel to press home into the gaps so close them up and give a near perfect seal between hull and flange to mould up to.

I waxed the hull and flange up and once that has"dried" I will apply the blue PVA release agent, which in my mind is imperative for an easy splitting of the mould from the plug when ready, and also from mould to moulding.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2017, 05:08:10 pm »

The blue, PVA release agent has been painted on this evening.......the final barrier between the plug and the mould which will help enormously in separating the two halves.

the gel coat, pigmented white is going on this evening and I shall lay up the first half of the mould tomorrow,

the only thing that concerns me about moulding this relatively easy plug is the duct to the water intake. as it has been split down the centre by the flange, I'll have to be careful not to get an air bubbles into the corners of each half.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 06:35:11 pm »

A belated welcome back Neil,we have erm missed you!!
Now just remember to be a good boy,annd like me our lord and master will let you stay!
Going to follow your latest build with great interest,as usual.
See you at Blackpool matey,we are coming up on a coach this time and I think with a 13 hour coach journey I may have a numb bumb lol!
Mick F

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2017, 06:53:31 pm »

and the gelcoat is now on the boat.

I use the gauge and the scales for amount of catalyst to resin religiously after one day adding too much catalyst on a winters day, and the job was ruined when the mix smoked hot, but didn't quite catch fire.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2017, 06:56:24 pm »

thanks mick..........look forward to seeing you.

did you get my message on facebook about Blackpool and the LBES. :-))

Neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2017, 07:04:13 pm »

Always handy to have the correct equipment, ........those scales and measuring bottle are now well over 25 years old and still giving good service, lol.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2017, 02:31:07 pm »

bit p'....d off with the results of the mould, and I shall explain why, and leave it at that but for a few photos.

I said at the start that this as with my other builds would be a "warts and all" build and if I make a mistake I would own up to it in order to help others not to make the same one.

Well I made one big style.

When I laid up the first half of the hull I cheapened myself by using some gelcoat that had been in a sealed tin for some time......in fact probably since I moulded the hull of the ferry nearly 4 years ago, on reflection......shelf life of such stuff once opened is a maximum 6 months under controlled conditions, and no way are the temperatures in my workshop controlled........but I hoped and prayed that there wouldn't be a reaction to using this on the first half.........

Sadly my prayers weren't answered, and when I finally finished the mould this morning and then trimmed it up, I split it and removed it from the plug to find that the old gel coat had crinkled and  left an uneven surface.

there was a choice, leave it and when waxing up to put extra wax into the crinkles so that when the moulding is taken off it the raised particles can be sanded off or leave the second half attached to the plug and lay up a ew half to that.

However the plug was now in a state and would need cleaning and probably wet and drying again before waxing again, and so I decided that as only a few sets of mouldings are going to be taken off by myself for friends, then they can sand down their own hulls to the perfection they want.

But the moral is.........DON'T CHEAPEN YOURSELF AND USE OLD AND SHODDY MATERIALS...........it causes more work and expense in the end.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2017, 09:23:18 pm »

Hello Neil,

Thank you for the update, pointing out the use of old materials in particular, which has prompted me to go through my stock of "stuff" that I've had stored away for a couple of years. This will now be taken to a disposal point and replaced with fresh items.
I feel that, without this update, I would have blundered into the same trap as yourself.

Much appreciated.

Hope the remainder of your build goes well for you.

Regards,

Ray.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2017, 05:28:34 pm »

have now cleaned off the blue release agent and found that the pitting in the gelcoat isn't as bad as I thought............t's mostly under the waterline................only joking, it's not as deep as I thought and mainly restricted to the bow area...........

with liberal coatings of wax on the mould, the raised bits on the moulding, although numerous, won't need as much sanding off as first thought, so spirits are lifted a little..........may be a beer can be lifted as well as the spirits.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2017, 08:29:13 pm »

the two halves of the hull mould have been waxed copiously and hopefully much of the rippling "craters" have been filled to a good extent with the wax. the halves were then painted with the blue PVA release agent before bolting together.

there will be no trouble finding space in the hull for controls, pump, batteries etc as it is cavernous, as you can see from the lifeboat crew man placed into the hull......at the same scale 1;12.

once the hull was bolted together a biggish gap could be seen between the two halves on the top of the induction scoop. and so this was filled with plastecine.

once this was done the white gelcoat was applied inside the mould.

laying up will be done tomorrow morning.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2017, 09:11:21 pm »

once the hull was bolted together a biggish gap could be seen between the two halves on the top of the induction scoop. and so this was filled with plastecine.

Always impressed by the way that you manage to find a solution to a problem - that's another handy "fix" to add to my notebook. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2017, 10:00:05 pm »

and the first hull moulding has been laid up this morning, 3 layers o 300gram chopped strand matting, and then the bulwark level trimmed off to the top of the flange.

the moment to worry about is when I split the mould tonight after it has hardened and started to cure......see whether the mistakes of the gash gelcoat on the first half comes back to haunt me and rips the mould apart........

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2017, 10:02:54 pm »

yippppeeeeee........the copious amounts of wax pushed into the crinkles on the mould have worked as the new moulding today popped out like a baby's dummy with just wax residue left on the moulding, and no damage what so ever, which I feared most, to the mould.it will just need cleaning up and then more waxing and a release agent and off again........might get another hull out by Thursday with any luck.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2017, 10:07:51 pm »

Had faith in you! But that is going to be a big boat!
I think Baloo needs something nearly as big as my Clyde lol
Mick F

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2017, 10:48:52 pm »

this IS his, mick...........he bought the original plugs off ebay with the agreement that I would make him a set of mouldings from the plugs........so here's the hull.

the end boxes and cabin are to follow.............and I hopefully will be bringing a set to the LBES  stand at the Blackpool show.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2017, 11:01:35 pm »

I'll leave the build questions to others  O0...but it appears the workshop television is on in many images  :o

So keeping on a nautical theme, who and what is this young Damsel with dark raven hair  :kiss: doing walking along the beach?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2017, 11:47:17 pm »

you'll have to ask neil that one Derek, but I have no idea.

perhaps he's catching up on his missed Australian soaps {-) {-) {-)

Jim.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2017, 03:25:44 am »

But I thought I was asking the question to or of Neil :-) ....after all it is his thread...or do you just comment on spec?....as you certainly appear to know pretty well what the other are doing 

I know from conversations may years ago, he.....[Neil that is ] spent a few years in our glorious Capital City of Canberra teaching our youngsters.......but then as one who has never travelled the world  >>:-( you wouldn't understand or know the colour of a Yallaumbua bird would you  :-X
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2017, 10:03:55 am »

what the heck is a Yallaumbua bird, Derek..........

I've heard of a gallah, but never one of those,

Jim.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2017, 01:30:27 pm »

Why not ask Neil.....after all it was he who was the teacher & spent a few years in our glorious Capital City of Canberra  :-X
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 23 queries.