Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A NEW LIFEBOAT MODEL... STEAM LIFEBOAT QUEEN  (Read 42859 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A NEW LIFEBOAT MODEL... STEAM LIFEBOAT QUEEN
« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2017, 09:21:15 pm »

and now been glued up using very strong gaffa tape and 15 minute 2 part epoxy.......shall leave that overnight to set, and then filled on the outside, but with some grp matting and resin on the inside..

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2017, 10:07:41 am »

before taking off the tape and pressure from the bilge keels, this morning I cut some strips of fine surface tissue and laid them over the steel pegs and holes on the inside of the hull, and sealed in with some polyester resin. I put 4 layers of tissue over the steel pegs/holes to give good purchase and holding power. hopefully the bile keels will now be rock solid and secure.

I also, whilst I had some resin mixed, put multiple strips of surface tissue over the top end of the water scoop tunnel on the inside to build up a little thickness to eventually take the inlet tubes for the pumps, because as yet the diameter of these hasn't been chosen.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2017, 12:43:57 pm »

and for the rest of the morning I have filled in the gaps left between hull and bilge keels plus the top/bottom edges of the belting, and readied the fore end box for gluing on this afternoon using  something or other.....not decided yet........making it up as I go along........"he who dares" as Del boy would say. {-) {-) %% %%

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2017, 07:24:45 pm »

my next job is to make the bulkheads for the two end boxes...made from 3.5mm ply a thickener around the top and sides on the inside of the bulkhead to give better adherence to the top.

they have either been added with a spacer to fit to the line of the deck or aft.

then a support for the rear rudder servo was constructed, servo added ready for when the top end box goes on permanently, and front access hatch cut out using drills first and then my Worx sonic sander to trim up. [now that was a bargain at 65 quid and a top notch universal tool to have.........cheaper brands available. O0 O0

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2017, 03:25:02 pm »

all steaming along happily in order to get the end boxes on I had to fit the second half of the rear bulkhead, cutting the upper part of the servo access  port, and then gluing the bulkhead in place using epoxy.

next was to fabricate the linkage from the servo to the rudder. I was dreading this as I thought I'd have to go through the rigmarole of doing what I did with the pulling sailing boats and use cord for linkage.........but no......the main steering rod on the real ship was an external rod to the tiller bar on the rudder.........so the actual steering rod will fit under the end box and just protrude through the box immediately under the dummy steering rod. the rod was extended using two servo linkage rods and a length of brass tubing, and all silver soldered together.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2017, 06:20:36 pm »

I cannot believe that it has only been two weeks since I took the mouldings I am working on out of the moulds. it has been a quicker build so far than any kit I have ever built.

today, and probably the last bit of work on it tonight I fitted the front end box.........using polyester car body filler, smearing it on the inside leading edges of the box and placing it onto the flanges running around the inside of the hull to locate it. I glued the lower wooden part of the bulkhead to the deck cross beam using waterproof glue. this I'll leave to set until tomorrow and under weight from batteries. then I'll fill the gaps between the top and deck.

whilst this was setting I inserted a plastic guide into the aft end box for the servo arm linkage, and set with cyano to begin with.
that's it for today.......going to have tea and a beer.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2017, 06:29:22 pm »

Following this build with great interest,looking forward to meeting you at blackpool,I am going to dig my plans out and have a look at the drawings for my model the Queen

Baloo

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2017, 08:38:34 pm »

hello, Baloo
I can't answer that for neil, but he had problems with his computer this late afternoon and couldn't post, could only send me an email asking me if I'd post for him via his daughters laptop so, I just posted what he wrote down for me.......might be a day or so before he gets it fixed, so I'll tell him you mentioned it.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2017, 10:35:40 pm »

what a cock up.........I had pressed a button yesterday on my keyboard.........hadn't a clue what I did, and it just froze everything.........couldn't even log out, so had to call my brother in to have a look................last night......seconds later I was up and running again...

anyway I have fitted both end boxes permanently and filled all gaps with filler. in fact apart from a dose of 15minute setting epoxy to fixe the top leading edge of the stern box to the bulkhead, all other edges of both boxes were located and fixed with a generous dollop of polyester filler.............it has no strength as a gluing compound unless it is left to set around and in between both joints and then it can be very effective.

once this has set firmly, tomorrow will be used to fit the deck in sections and then hopefully on Monday I can give the whole boat a good sanding and clean up ready for showing a "work in progress" at the Blackpool show next weekend.

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2017, 09:46:06 am »

Thank you Jim

Baloo

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2017, 04:56:29 pm »

looking better with all its deck on,,,,,,,,,,,but the side pieces have not been fitted yet as I am working on the nozzle outlets which I'll post later.

and whilst glue was setting I had chance to give the aft port quarter of the end box a good sanding......looks a little better cleaned up.......but more to follow.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
A NEW LIFEBOAT MODEL... STEAM LIFEBOAT QUEEN
« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2017, 03:03:34 pm »

how to turn a syringe into a water jet nozzle..

first choose a syringe the same diameter as the nozzle, and cut in two.

take each half and place on a sanding linisher and sand a tapered flat onto the "base".

cut a base so that you have an overlapping flange for attaching to hull side. glue the syringe to the plasticard base using plumbers pipe glue.

take some milliput , [I use Milliput white, the hardest of the compounds, but sands and carves beautifully] and mix the two parts together.

apply to the syringe/flange and mould into a reasonable shape as per plans, both outside the tube and inside giving some thickness to the "wall" as it is going to be moulded and castings taken from it.use water to get a smoother finish, although it will need sanding afterwards.

leave overnight to set, preferably on a warm radiator. it will go rock hard.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2017, 03:14:55 pm »

next was to sand down to give boat nozzles a nice smooth surface and to regain the flange on the base so that it can be drilled to insert small picture frame pins to act as both holding points to the hull and simulate rivets on the model. the inside tunnel was also sanded. i'm going to cast these and all other fittings in none shatter polyurethane resin.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2017, 03:27:31 pm »

and the final stage of this transposition from syringe to nozzle is to cast it.

Using old faithful Lego to make a casting box, I built one up to surround the two nozzles and layered the base with moulding plastecine , placed the fittings on the compound.

I filled the open ends of the nozzles with a dollop of plastecine to aid splitting the mould later, and then mixed my RTV [room temperature vulcanising rubber with catalyst and a drop of water [to aid humidity rather than finding someone's vacant airing cupboard. A tip I was given by the technical department of Alex Tiranti some years ago]..........and pour into the mould case to cover.

Leave to set and cure.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2017, 07:49:57 pm »

I think there is some fear and trepidation from modellers regarding moulding their own fittings, and after I have posted similar threads I get a pm or an email asking whether it is as easy as I make it out to be............the only problem that anyone will have is wastage of resin, as the polyurethane resin that I use these days needs to be spot on weight wise AND so I use a small digital scale to get the weight exact per part, and the shelf life of the resin...........it can be dear, and I use CFS for my supplies and I make sure that I have all my fittings ready and ready moulded in rubber before I buy a two pack of resin, and then little is wasted before it goes off.

the actual making and cutting of the moulds is very easy so long as decent masters are made.........they don't have to be perfect, as they can be cleaned up once out as a moulding, ......

I do also have a centrifugal casting machine and melting pot for casting in white metal and in such circumstances just use a harder grade RTV rubber to take the heat of the metal.

so on to the mould today. the first half cured and so time for the second half.

over the years I used  a release agent supplied by Tiranti's of Reading where I would buy my rubber, and it was in aerosol spray cans, but then all of a sudden they could not supply because they said their couriers and Royal Mail would not carry spray cans...........I spoke to the tech dept, and the guy said why was I wasting my money on spray cans anyway, as common good old Vaseline was a far better release agent than any they could supply when moulding the two halves together. And once you have pulled the masters from the mould halves, you never need to re apply a release agent again anyway........it is only used to stop the second half of the rubber mould sticking to the first half when making the original moulds.

so here it is, the finished mould for the two nozzles.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2017, 12:11:41 am »

:o :o :o

No wonder us poor kids can't afford to buy Lego blocks anymore :(( :(( :((

You big kids are gobbling em all up. <*< <*< <*<

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: October 17, 2017, 12:32:14 am »

what ya mean matey.........I've had most of that since I WAS a kid...........however a very kind member on here did send me a box full of longer sections 2-3 years ago as a gift, as I was making quite a few moulds all at once.and I am eternally grateful to him for his kindness..........would name him but fear he would be inundated with requests from other members.............but you know who you are kind sir.

they must be the best ever toy/building medium for kids and adults all, and anyone of 65 and under must have had a set at least once in their lives............I love it.........a brilliant concept never really surpassed. O0 :-))

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2017, 04:59:16 pm »

I can't do anymore to the hull now until I have been to the centrifugal pump man over near Blackburn, and have been busy all week tending to my daughter who has been suffering from acute tonsillitis, and has not been well at all. kept me busy, poor thing........so hopefully will make contact next week.
So, until then I have found a little time off this afternoon and cut myself some 4mm square strips of mahogany. These are the supports for the bench seats inside the Well deck at the stern.
I set up a gauge on the band saw and cut 40 lengths of strip in two different lengths for the cross and vertical struts.
I then used a jig that I had made to cut such struts for my Liverpool class boat nearly ten years ago so that I can cut half housing joints perfectly every time......only 80 joints to cut........160 cuts in total..........might be loosing the will to live at the end of it, lol.

These eventually will be glued together using aliphatic resin and then sanded smooth..........A bit of repetitive woodwork never hurt anyone, lol

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: November 02, 2017, 11:03:27 pm »

All bench supports have now been cut, glued together and sanded down into sets of 3...........bit of a blunder in that I only cut enough for 60% of the supports that I had envisaged, but as there are no actual plans contemporary to the actual boats, only supposition and basic line and GA plans[ the nearest I had were blue prints that were lost 25 years ago]then modellers licence has to be used, and instead of 5 sets of supports per bench I am going to suffice with 3 sets.

Unfortunately because of the lack of detailed plans,I make a bold statement here and say............all those models built of these steam lifeboats will always be with some modellers licence and none will ever be true scale, even that of the impressive Duke of Northumberland built by Les Jones. This is by no means a criticism, of his or anyone else's build.............just that true detailed plans are just not available, unless tucked away and hidden in some vaults somewhere for obscure reasons.

I also soaked the lathes for the bench tops and then clamped them up, before putting them across some deck beams with weights on to allow to dry, ready for cutting and fitting.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2017, 12:05:19 am »

have also made the " access doors" into the rear end box, by laminating two pieces of ply together..........the inner piece being an exact fit to the rectangular hole which allows access to the steering servo........and the outer piece being larger in all four ways to overlap te hole, and drawn onto it the panelling and simulated doors for access.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2017, 03:12:43 pm »

small detailing, but presuming that the rest of the superstructure and wind shields to the aft well deck are made from the same material as the hull, either steel or iron, they will have had to have been riveted together.

and so I have covered all jointing points with plasticard angle "iron"  to simulate the same on the real prototype.

"rivets" will be added later using glue sticks.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2017, 04:29:46 pm »

.........the capping rail to the well deck has now been added in 3 sections using 2.5mm obeche.......just needs sanding once the 5minute epoxy has cured .

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: November 04, 2017, 02:24:43 pm »

the gussets to the main engine casing from the well deck walls have been made and faired in, filled and sanded,..........and then the inner bench seats made.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2017, 02:26:30 pm »

benches made, temporarily fitted and Samson posts cut ready for shaping. I have brackets for these that I made for my pulling/sailing lifeboats.....

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: November 07, 2017, 07:48:19 pm »

Today, I sprayed the inside of the well deck, after giving liberal coats of sanding sealer and rubbing down with steel wool. I gave just one coat of white to the inside  to begin with.

Then I stained the tops of the benches with dark mahogany to see what the interior will look like..............I'm pleased so far with the result. O0

Finally I decided to fit the curved pieces of top laths to the curved benches that fit port and starboard. To do this I drilled each lath with an 0.5mm drill bit to take picture framing pins of the same diameter at intervals, spacing them evenly across the benches width.

once this was done I started to glue them onto the benches from the outside in............just the middle lath on each bench now to glue. Thicknesses vary at the moment but once set, the pins will be removed and each bench sanded on my belt linisher.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 23 queries.