Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: GRANIT - 1/50th scale AHTS  (Read 38571 times)

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
Re: GRANIT - 1/50th scale AHTS
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2016, 08:25:05 am »

Managing to keep rolling with this build, albeit slowly.

Update so far, bulwarks made and installed, anchor pockets and guide tubes fitted, hull rubbed down and glassed up with Z-Poxy, first quick rub down and a coat of primer to show any errors in hull (plenty). So back to rubbing down, filling, rubbing down. Once happy with that, shall install prop shafts and kort nozzles, rudders made and will be installed next.
So far coming out better than expected.
Thanks for looking
Stewart
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2016, 04:02:17 pm »

It's coming on nicely.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2016, 01:21:47 pm »

Interesting build, I'll be following this one.
She looks great!!
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2016, 01:26:01 pm »

Thanks Brian, Josse.

Dropped a bit of a clanger, mixed up some filler to cover up some minor blemishes shown up by the primer, but didn't add enough hardener, so now have to wait ages for it to go off before it will sand easily, it just clogs up straight away, oh well..............on nights for 4 so will hope it has cured by then!!!!!!!!!!

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2016, 05:51:13 pm »

That hull is really starting to look good. I'm really looking forward to seeing it with some top colours

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2016, 04:39:59 pm »

After lots of careful scraping with the edge of a Stanley knife blade I have managed to rid the hull of all the filler.......... >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
Now have sanded back down to a nice smooth finish.............. :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:
Have now fitted bump rails along the one side of the hull and now waiting for another delivery of half round profile to finish the other side. Got to fit cap rails to the bulwarks, tidy up the bulwark supports from stray globs of adhesive, mount the rudder bearings, fit the Korts and prop tubes build and fit the deck rails and then can give it some colour.

Some questions, the decks are green, what would pass as an accurate (ish) green for the decks? Is it OK to use Halfords rattle cans? Any prep work needed before spraying on the decks as they are plywood?

Thanks in advance.

Stewart

PS thanks for the kind words chaps, appreciated.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2016, 07:19:46 pm »

Hi Stewart when I'm spraying plywood if it's a large area I like to seal it with finishing epoxy resin. It does take some work as I've found that you need to apply two coats and it has to be sanded flat after each coat. The results are really nice though. If however I'm only painting small wooden parts I give them a couple of coats of eze-coat which works well and is water soluble for an easy clean up

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2016, 01:25:11 am »

I would like to call on the Mayhem collective to lend some advice please.

While I am at a bit of a go slow on the build I started looking into the electrics and radio stuff.

Electrics I am fine with, all stuff coming from Action Electronics when funds become available, it's the radio side of it that is baffling me and need help with.

So, twin motors for propulsion, rudder, bow thruster, fire monitors, navigation lights, deck lighting, interior lighting and maybe radar motors. Now how can I control all these with a cheapish unit - sub £100. Is it going to be a simple case of say left stick for forward/reverse (propulsion), left stick left/right (bow thruster) right stick for left/right (rudder) and say 5 or 6 simple switches to turn on and off the other ancillaries, if so, which cheap 2.4 unit will do the job for me.
Sorry to ask such a simple question, but the vast amount of equipment out there is mind boggling and so is the price!!!!!! Hence the need for a cheapish, simple unit that can do the job for me with out breaking the bank.

Thanks in advance.

Stewart

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2016, 05:19:41 am »

After a good few hours trawling t'interweb, I may have found what I am looking for, anybody had any dealings with these and are they, will they be compatible/usable with the Action Electronics P94 set up as shown in link below?

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/246827/ - Transmitter/receiver

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Billings%20Fairmount%20Alpine%20Dwg%201%20-%20Mick%20Burke.pdf
- Action Electronic set up

Cheers.

Stewart

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2016, 08:14:34 am »

I'm seriously thinking of one of those myself Stew, I didn't see any mention of its receiver, if that has 14 sockets it will do the job fine the switches are simple on/off signal generators for turning things on and off like your lights. One would even control your thrusters as long as you don't mind them being off-full power-off as you blip the switch - you'd have to make sure the esc for the thruster would handle that abuse rather than ramping the power though.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2016, 09:55:12 am »

Just what I'm looking for.     :-))

It includes a 14 channel R/X in the  'Ad'

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2016, 06:09:27 pm »

I would like to call on the Mayhem collective to lend some advice please.

While I am at a bit of a go slow on the build I started looking into the electrics and radio stuff.

Electrics I am fine with, all stuff coming from Action Electronics when funds become available, it's the radio side of it that is baffling me and need help with.

So, twin motors for propulsion, rudder, bow thruster, fire monitors, navigation lights, deck lighting, interior lighting and maybe radar motors. Now how can I control all these with a cheapish unit - sub £100. Is it going to be a simple case of say left stick for forward/reverse (propulsion), left stick left/right (bow thruster) right stick for left/right (rudder) and say 5 or 6 simple switches to turn on and off the other ancillaries, if so, which cheap 2.4 unit will do the job for me.
Sorry to ask such a simple question, but the vast amount of equipment out there is mind boggling and so is the price!!!!!! Hence the need for a cheapish, simple unit that can do the job for me with out breaking the bank.

Thanks in advance.

Stewart

Hi Stewart
That should work fine . Ch 1 to 4 would do your props ,rudder and bow thruster .  Th other channels 5 to 14 would work fine for lights or rader etc . You will need to get an electronic switch to plug in to the receiver to switch the circuits .

John

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2017, 02:41:55 am »

Hi all, just thought I had better update on progress with my build of Granit. It has been tough as I have no idea as to what I am doing. I did really struggle with the front bulwark and a nightmare with the actual hull as I had not sealed it internally before winter set in and it got damp and started to distort some of the planking!!!!!! I layered up some epoxy on the inside and let it dry and it seems to have pulled it back to shape, near enough, I can still feel some ripples in the hull but its not too bad.
Anyway as you can see I have managed to put some colour on her and she looks good, even though I say it myself.
I have used red oxide rattle can, the finish is rough to the touch, I intend to give it a couple of coats of a satin sealant when I have finished spraying her. Would it be advisable to give it a very light sanding and rub down with tack cloth before sealing it?
Thanks in advance and now good weather is here I should be able to progress a bit more.

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2017, 08:52:32 pm »

Thats a really nice looking hull!
Hama

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2017, 09:29:29 am »

Hi Stu that hull looks really nice  :-))   If the paints a bit rough I would give it a light rub with a fine scotch bright pad then tack cloth it before spraying the satin.  The pads are far easier to use than paper and far more forgiving too - good luck mate

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2017, 10:56:21 am »

Ah, that's what I had read but forgot totally to do......cheers Mark.
Still a bit to do before I get that bit done, the paint don't half show imperfections up!!!!!!!!

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2017, 03:00:41 pm »

Yep it sure does and sometimes can be a bit disheartening when you have put so much work into something.  Take your time Stu fill the imperfections if you have the time, and its all worth it in the end bud  :-))   Looking forward to the rest of the build

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2017, 03:04:54 pm »

Hi folks, bit of an update on the build.
I have got the hull painted and sealed, all electrics/electronics fitted, motors and props all connected and rudders. All looking good, even had her bum wet in bath tub with no leaks.......but as she stands she needs 20lb of ballast to get her down to the water line.......all in all good but slow progress.
Unfortunately I have come across a problem with the electronics. Wired up everything with correct rated wiring, termination all fitted with crimped bootlace ferrules or soldered ends, i did make one error due to being distracted, i had the wrong polarity on the P93, this blew both fuses on the P102 board, no problem i thought, corrected mistake, replaced fuses, switched on and all good. P94 went through its start up so ready to test. I have it set for 100% mix. Tx is FlySky FS-I6S with the 10 channel rx, all hooked up as instructions but could i get it to work correctly......no, it would do weird things? Push stick forward, motors start then one would go into reverse, then jump back to forward. Runs ok if you pull stick back? Push rudder stick over, bogh motors run correctly, push rudder stick other way the motors go opposite direction but one will jump into opposite direction then back again. Very little control on throttle its virtually full throttle all the time! No i thought with the earlier mistake i had damaged the P94, so ordered a new one, fitted that and it is the same! Gave Component shop a call and said it sounds like the Tx is not compatible with the P94.
Has anybody had similar problems either with the P94 or the FlySky...........any recommendations for a Tx that is compatible with the P94.......7 or more channels, i am not made of money and can flog the FlySky on if is not up to the job, it is just so frustrating that something that should be so simple is not and costs an arm and a leg if it goes wrong!
Does anyone know what protocol the P94 reads, this may give a clue to compatability issues.

Thanks in advance.

Stewart

ps, sorry no pics, my pc has died and in middle trying to fix!

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2017, 04:08:47 pm »

Managed to sort a pic out.

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2017, 06:06:15 pm »

this blew both fuses on the P102 board

Sorry this should read.........."this blew both fuses on the P92 board".

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2017, 06:31:02 pm »

Hi Stew

Nice to see your building again mate.  Just a couple of thoughts from me.

1.  Have you set all of the little switches up correctly on the circuit boards?
2.  Are the heat sinks touching each other as this can be very bad apparently
3.  What happens if you disconnect one of the motors does the same thing still happen?
4.  Have you tried resetting the TX back to its basic settings and then tried that?
5.  Is the TX and receiver set on the correct channels?
6.  Is there any mixing set up on the TX if so turn it off

I'm sorry I can't be any more help mate

Mark

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2017, 07:14:07 pm »

Hi Mark, yes gone through all those including several factory resets but still not playing ball. This is so frustrating. Tried it with an old 2ch Futaba T2ER 40Mhz Tx and Rx and works a treat.......so it is either an incompatability problem or set up problem with the FlySky...........my money is on the incompatability issue. Will not know until i can get another transmitter that will work..........any preferences on a Tx/Rx?

Cheers

Stewart

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2017, 07:19:15 pm »

Yea it sounds like you are right about compatibility  {:-{   I use Spektrum but only because I got a very good deal on a DX10.  Otherwise I don't know what I would use.  Having said that I'm glad that I went that route as it does everything and more that you can imagine.  I hope you get it sorted  :-))

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2017, 07:55:31 pm »

It sounds like it could be the voltage on the signal output from the Rx. Older sets would give use 4.8V internally and give a 4.8V signal. New sets with microprocessors use 3.3V internal logic and can give a 3.3V signal output. This can cause problems for servos and add on boards which need a 4.8V signal and a 3.3V signal is not enough for reliable working.Use receivers which have 4.8V signals or look for signal amplifiers which fit in line between the Rx and servo/board.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2017, 08:33:38 pm »

Hi Jim, checking the specs it looks like a 4.8v to 6v system, low voltage alarm kicks in at 4.2v, so i don't think that's the cause but thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Stewart
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.