Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Shannon Build  (Read 39884 times)

Flundle (Speedline Models)

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Shannon Build
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2016, 10:38:21 pm »

I'm writing this on a pad so one finger typing, its going to be short then as a result.
I thought I would just bring you up to date with progress on the two Shannons and a little insight into some aspects of the kit.
Firstly, its going to be a relatively simple kit to build with very little in the way of etched metals and laser cut plastics. Its also going to be the most detailed kit we have ever done!
What I see is a generation of model builders getting older by the day. Model boaters who can tackle a big scratch built project are getting rare indeed and it is obvious by the increasing popularity of ready to run boats that the model boat market place is changing and so us kit manufacturers must react appropriately. New kits must be innovative in design and build into very good models without requiring the kind of skills which simply are not being taught these days.
The new Shannon kits, both the 1/12 and 1/16 versions will enable the modeller with very little in the way of traditional model boating skills to produce a first class model.
Both versions are similar, building in exactly the same way.

As far as I know this is the first kit of its type to have the wheelhouse and deck produced as a single GRP moulding. You can't (as they used to say) see the join at all!
Another first is that the jet drives are specifically designed for the kit. Much more testing to do yet to be sure they work properly and have a good service life. If they don't work then KMB ones will be used in the 1/12 and another make in the 1/16 (? still).
Both kits will be supplied complete with the jet drives and brushless out-runners will be proving the umph.
 Extensive use is being made of highly detailed resin castings throughout.
I hope you like some of the ideas? Keep me posted.
Both kits will cost pretty much the same except for the potential difference due to the costs of the commercial jet drives.
Also, if these drives work as we think they will they will be available separately.
Bed time now and I'm loosing the sense of tout ch in my finger.
Oh!
How do you get to the inner workings if the wheelhouse is moulded with the deck then?
The whole deck complete with fendering lifts off to gain access to the interior, chocolate box style. Yes there is a sealing system to keep the top on and the water out.
Whilst a full interior for the wheelhouse is included, the main bulkheads between the different sections of the boat are included so you can go on to build a full interior or maybe we will and offer it as an ad-on later on sometime.

alan44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2016, 11:21:34 pm »

Hi Flundle.
It takes a leap of faith to move away from traditional methods of model boat building. I am not sure if any of us are 'taught' our craft its learnt from boy to man.  For me the challenge of building a model is solving the many problems a kit can offer. On the other hand it opens the door to newer less experienced modellers to 'have a go'
I built your 1/12 tamar and enjoyed every part of it, it was a big financial and time investment. In terms of hours spent it was fantastic!  Would I want to build a kit that was completed in a short time because all the work was already done? I don't know.
Many of us I am sure are eager to see the out come of your hard work.

In anticipation  :-)
Alan

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2016, 10:00:58 am »

The design sounds intriguing. And custom made Jets as well - awesome! Can't wait to see some photos.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2016, 10:05:09 am »

I think you have read the future market correctly Adrian, certainly the ratios of the 80 members in our club are changing exactly as you describe.

Ten years ago most built from scratch, or kits and sailed just those models. Now the great majority are happy to buy RTR, ARTR, or buy second hand models.  Some even get others to build bespoke models for them. 

Certainly many model builders avoid the existing Speedline range of models because of their build complexity.

We are having to adapt, or drop some of our competitions, because the rules require that the owner built the model entered into the competition and it is getting harder to know that.

For myself, I look forward to placing an order for a 1:16th as soon as it becomes available.

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2016, 01:24:25 pm »

Hi Adrian,

Any idea on prices for the kits yet?

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2016, 03:21:12 pm »

Just out of curiosity can you clarify how you are going to gain access inside the hull {:-{

If I understand what you wrote the superstrure and deck are mounded as one so to get inside
You lift the whole deck out... Is that correct??

As I said just curios not nit picking  :-))

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2016, 06:23:53 pm »

The Shannon has a very large section fender running almost all round the deck. My normal course of action would be to have the correct section moulded by COH Baines but the fendering on the shannon is not a constant section.
It starts at one section at the bow then changes over a few feet to a larger section so a rubber extrusion is impossible.

Moulding the fendering on to the hull is quite feasible but part of the fendering would have to be moulded on to the deck or added in some way.
If you have been on board a Shannon, you cannot help but be impressed with the fit and finish of everything and the inner edge of the fendering looks as neatly moulded into the deck as the wheelhouse does.

Also, the floor of the wheelhouse is all below deck level so if you want a scale interior, an upstand in the traditional way would make that tricky.

Also I didn't want a joint between the bottom of the hull and the deck, on the real thing the wheelhouse is moulded with the deck, So we are moulding the wheelhouse and the deck and the fendering as a single moulding.
It fits over the hull like a chocolate box lid and you cannot see any joints anywhere. A simple seal keeps the water out and holds the lot together nicely.
This way of course demands that the hull has some built in supports to maintain it's shape so we are including all the bulkheads the real thing has (and we will be laser cutting the hatchways  so that should you wish to, you can build a full interior, jet space, engine room, tank space, survivor space and fore store.
We are considering making all this later so a sectioned one can be displayed but you could do one yourself if you wish. 
(One of the reasons for designing our own jet drives was because of the scale space available being too small).
There is a lot of thinking goes into a kit. To make the best, its a real challenge and always takes longer than you think.
I hope to have some photos of the back end of the wheelhouse to show you tomorrow just to give you an idea of the quality you can expect from this kit.
Tea time!

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2016, 07:12:58 pm »

Thanks for the info makes sense now  :-))

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2016, 11:43:48 pm »

backing up what kinmel says reguarding members,   i am a member of his  boat club and i am looking forward to seeing the 1:12th  shannon kit as i will be purchasing it  to go along side my extensive 1:12th lifeboat fleet,  keep up the good work,  does this mean you sell me a trent cheaper LOL  {-)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2016, 11:12:37 am »

Funny you should say that.
Yes!
A new 1/12 Trent is on its way and that will make use of our new production techniques. I expect the price to drop considerably too.
Adrian

lleksam

• Shipmate
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2016, 12:54:53 pm »

stop teasing me Pictures and a price for Shannon please <*< <*<

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2016, 06:35:34 pm »

Funny you should say that.
Yes!
A new 1/12 Trent is on its way and that will make use of our new production techniques. I expect the price to drop considerably too.
Adrian

thanks adrian

by the sound of things both might be lot easy to build,   will have to buy both  {-)

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2016, 12:29:08 am »

Its been a while but with health problems and a broken camera [don't like being dropped] her are a couple of pictures of my Shannon not finished but well on its way. Some plateing to get done and a lot of the very small items which will get done in time.

John

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2016, 04:47:28 am »

John,
Very nice model , power to you. I'm currently on holiday when I get back I will down load a video of my test running of my Shannon, running on lipo's. I think I've sorted the issue I was having, although reversing is still an issue to be solved.
Regards David

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2016, 09:08:34 am »

WOW!!!

That is just out of this world, and truly a beautiful model.

A work of art.

Thank you for showing us all what a beautiful boat the Shannon class lifeboat is.

Fleetwood get her new boat later in June.

look forward to seeing her.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2016, 12:34:45 pm »

Very nice indeed John.
It makes me realise how much I have still to do!
You know the old 80/20 rule? 80% of the work lies in 20% of the parts.
Anyway, brilliant stuff.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2016, 07:56:12 pm »

Looking very good, interesting build.
Suffering  from  Shannon Class over kill and enjoyed every moment of it. Good to see modelling still alive and keeping up with the times, but still using old time techniques as well.
keep up the good work.

Colin
grumpy old XXX

Juergen

• Shipmate
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2016, 06:11:58 am »

Awesome! Keep on going! - And don't let your camera get broken again.  ok2

Kind regards,
Jürgen

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2018, 02:31:29 pm »

A credit to John (MK1) and his amazing build of the Ilfracombe Shannon 13-09, I am just starting to appreciate some of his skill in the building this awesome model.

For years as a kid I went to Ilfracombe with my parents on our annual holiday. We used to walk past a shop every day to get to the beach that had a large cream coloured sailing yacht in the window just wanting to be bought - unfortunately my pocket money didn't stretch that far but I am certain this was the start of my love of boats, I can still picture the shop window so clearly nearly 50 years later as though I had walked past it yesterday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTirhXCnIkc

C-3PO

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2018, 04:32:50 pm »

A credit to John (MK1) and his amazing build of the Ilfracombe Shannon 13-09, I am just starting to appreciate some of his skill in the building this awesome model.

For years as a kid I went to Ilfracombe with my parents on our annual holiday. We used to walk past a shop every day to get to the beach that had a large cream coloured sailing yacht in the window just wanting to be bought - unfortunately my pocket money didn't stretch that far but I am certain this was the start of my love of boats, I can still picture the shop window so clearly nearly 50 years later as though I had walked past it yesterday...

C-3PO

I have admired johns builds from afar, and it is lovely to see a Shannon lifeboat that is sailing at scale speed, and not like a hoon of an offshore power boat doing a scale 60 knots, lol......…

lovely boat. hope you enjoy it and be a good custodian to it.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2018, 04:54:16 pm »

C-3PO
I can only add what a beautiful model she is, and Im sure she looks as good out of the water as in it. So glad she has gone to a good owner who Im sure will be proud to own her and show her.
Thanks John for your build
Mick f

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2018, 01:36:22 pm »

it is lovely to see a Shannon lifeboat that is sailing at scale speed, and not like a hoon of an offshore power boat doing a scale 60 knots, lol......…

That isn’t even close to scale speed though. Shannons plane, they get the bow dry. It seems most owners have had less than desirable results with the scale jetdrives on these though, it just seems to be one of these things.

It’s a lovely model, really well done. Congrats on a great build and something to be proud of  :-))

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2018, 02:25:22 pm »

That isn’t even close to scale speed though. Shannons plane, they get the bow dry. It seems most owners have had less than desirable results with the scale jetdrives on these though, it just seems to be one of these things.

It’s a lovely model, really well done. Congrats on a great build and something to be proud of  :-))
Hi McGherkin,
A couple of us are now monitoring the actual speed across the ground and the RPM of the impellers and making progress.

It's fair to say that my 13-09 is considerably slower on brushed than a couple of the guys on brushless.

Andy (T33cno) who sadly is no longer posting on here ran his boat last weekend and had an impressive performance from it (very lifelike)

MK1 who created this model suggested that he thought it would benefit from brushless motors - I ordered the motor mount brackets from KMB for the jets 2 days ago and will shortly order the motors to take it brushless.

So behind the scenes  there is quite a lot of activity!

C-3PO

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2018, 03:01:56 pm »

Andy - T33cno's Shannon build

Here are a couple of Andy's video's

Video 1 - RNLI Shannon first open water run with a starboard motor issue but still a success that can be built on. Film credit to Michael Richardson of Kirklees MBC & Balne moor MBC.

https://youtu.be/Xvm1AZKQhLU

Video 2 - Motors now "both" working with 50 amp Turnigy marine ESC's BUT taking water under the deck so only short run.

https://youtu.be/T9J7eLUmWFA

C-3PO

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2018, 05:08:56 pm »

Even though i am not building a Shannon, i have been following the progress of all the Shannon Builders over on the Facebook 'Shannon Builders' Group. They are all to be commended for the efforts they are making, and for the sharing of info, in a friendly positive way  :-))

Charlie
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.