Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yacht design for newbie please.  (Read 4963 times)

johnforty

• Shipmate
Yacht design for newbie please.
« on: June 05, 2015, 12:12:22 pm »

I have yet to build a model yacht so would like advice please. I need a smooth hull so to not get stuck in weed, so, something vaguely similar to the J class shape and doesn't have to be J class. Something around 2 to 3 ft but J class at 4 ft is too big. I have looked at Vic Smeed designs but keel/hull shape is not often obvious. I have built launches and loads of r/c aeroplanes so building skills not a problem. I'm o.k. with a ready built (just to get me on the water) or a f/g hull and/or kit or plans. Rig can be sloop or cutter, simple anyway - just need that smooth weed friendly hull type! Thanks, J40

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Yacht design for newbie please.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 04:52:28 pm »

Take a look here, several sizes to choose from - all the same basic design

http://www.racingsparrow.co.nz/

HTH
Don't Assume Check

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 04:59:51 pm »

The racing sparrows all have fin keels  with bulbs
which are very good at picking up weed and plastic
bags.
Otherwise, they are great yachts.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 05:01:02 am »

The Soling 1m and Soling half meter would fit the bill. http://www.victor-model.com/ both available as kits.
The only problem is that they are from the US and you would pick up shiping and customs costs.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

johnforty

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 08:45:26 am »

Thanks for the replies. The victor model link returns with server error so will try again next week, maybe they shut/offline for the weekend. Sailing characteristics sound ideal, however, the keel shape, although raked back, is not enough like the J class I mentioned in the original post. J class has blended-in rudder and smooth blended shape I need for parting of the weed. Have looked at Racingsparrow but as netleyned quite rightly says they don't have the keel shape I am looking for. Thanks, J40

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 09:22:07 am »

Something like the Robbe Comptesse or Kyosho Fairwind?  Both have a fairly shallow fin and, for dodging weed, no prognathous bulb sticking out in front to act as a weed gathering hook.  Chris Brown did a cruising yacht about 2 ft long, but I dont know if it is still available.
Any yacht of this type does have the problem of getting enough weight down there to do the job.  The smaller the boat, the worse the problem becomes, so bigger works better.  Until it won't go in the car.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

johnforty

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 10:18:48 am »

Looked up the Comtesse and Fairwind and both look ok-ish but not quite right - it is the J class, or very similar, shape I'm after. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:J_Class_sail_plan.svg for shape but anything similar. Meanwhile I'll try and find Chris Brown pan/s. Thanks, J40

johnforty

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 10:24:15 am »

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 07:47:46 pm »

Marbleheads perform amazingly, largely due to their being lightweight designs with a huge great long fin to act as a long lever to give righting moment.  The half scale version, commonly known as an RG65, of which the Dragon Force is an almost ready to go version, also performs very well in a wide range of conditions.  This largely due to the light weight and huge long fin.  Both these are designed to a waterline length rule which means that they get maximum hull speed by having the longest possible waterline coinciding with the overall length.  Having overhangs cuts into this.The 4 foot J has a waterline length of about 3 foot 3, carries what is effectively an IOM B rig, and packs nearly 10 pounds of ballast, mostly because of the short lever of the shallow fin.  Scaling down is not likely to result in a very satisfactory sailer because of the scale wind effect - the smaller the notional scale of the boat, the stronger the wind it experiences, and with a small one, what is a gentle breeze for a large model becomes a raging storm very soon.  Near the water surface on a lake, a small yachts sails might not even reach up to the moving air in light winds, so the smaller the yacht, the smaller the window of opportunity for a satisfactory sail.

johnforty

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 08:24:20 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I now have a bit more of understanding particularly the waterline/length factor and scale effects similar to my experience withr/c scale aeroplanes. However, unfortunately at my local site I'm stuck for most of the year with weed so I wouldn't be able to make use of a Marblehead/RG65 - it probably wouldn't go more than a few yards. Lovely looking thing though. So, I'm stuck with needing a hull that will push weed out of the way and not get stuck. I've sailed a friend's yacht similar to the one one in a previous link and it works really well. He bought it 2nd hand and doesn't know what it is. I just need something to work on a Sunday morning before the pub opens! I've ordered a plan Bluebottle MM293 from MyHobbyStore to see what it's like and might scale it up a bit.

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 09:22:57 pm »

The 8 metre class might meet your requirements, several clubs sail them including Dabblers, but I am not sure of availability of plans.
http://dabblers.wikispaces.com/8+Metre+Page+1

The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

johnforty

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 05:44:45 am »

Knoby, yes that's the correct shaped hull and rig, well spotted. At 1mtr though it's a tad too big as I was looking for 2 to 3 ft max. so 32"/800mm would be spot on. I'll search for plans, thanks again, J40

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 11:07:04 am »

http://www.jch-online.org/photos/Vigilant.jpg
Might be the sort of thing?  If the fin was stretched down an extra 50%, at 1M LOA (give or take a bit) should perform OK carrying something about the size of an IOM C rig.  I found it doing a search for Uffa Fox yacht drawings on the grounds that he knew about such things.

johnforty

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 10:15:08 am »

Thanks to all. I have now bought the 8 mtr yacht in the link from knoby, so, extra thanks to him. And it was only a 25min drive away. At 1mtr in length it's a tad bigger than I thought I wanted but actually it's just about right and fits in better with advice from malcolmf. Well done all, thanks, J40   

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 04:50:59 pm »

Any Contact address for the 8 metre supplier?

Ned

johnforty

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 06:07:09 pm »

I got mine from 'for sale' section of a local model boat club via the link from knoby. Local to me is South coast so Humber most probably too far. FWIW when I was searching I didn't find a supplier/manufacturer. If it's any use take a look at http://dabblers.wikispaces.com/8+Metre+Page+1  J40 

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 06:27:47 pm »

Hi John, thanks for the reply.
I looked at the dabblers website but there is no info.
I'm looking for a deep keeled yacht , not one with
a fin and bulb max 39 ins Loa
that will go to the lake ready rigged in the car.
Getting too old to rig my marblehead at the lake

Ned

johnforty

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 06:48:06 pm »

I got the 8 because it will skim over/through the weeds. I suspect the racing class may have died down a bit. Good hunting for an 8. For some reason I think it sometimes known as an '8 rater'. J40
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.