Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: TAMAR Speedline 1/12  (Read 42282 times)

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
Re: TAMAR Speedline 1/12
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2017, 09:28:10 pm »

OVL,
Not sure where I got them from [people quite often give me sets of lifeboat plans at Shows] but here are a couple of shots from two 'part' sheets I have of the Tamar, but they appear to be at 1/12th scale, enlarged from the markings on the plans that they are at 1/25th scale. I am not going to be building a Tamar, so hence no complete set. However, seeing as the RNLI do not appear to be supplying plans at the moment I have photographed these two areas to help you get on your way with your model. I have also added two photos from my collection, they might also help position those nice shaped water cooled exhausts [and covers].
Cheers,
Kim [C.C.]

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2017, 08:20:37 am »

Hi

Two photo's of as you can see of the Shoreham boat, if I can help out with more photo's just ask.

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2017, 06:42:35 pm »

Hi Ovl,
I've just measured off my RNLI plans which are at 1/25.  The inside edge of the flange around the exhaust is 4.8mm (@1/25) and the top of the flange is 2.35 (ish)mm (@ 1/25) under the Y boat storage recess.  Hopefully together with the photos from others will point you the right way.
Phil

ovl

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2017, 07:34:39 pm »

Thanks Kim, Fred and Phil,
More than enough info here, now I can advance  O0 :-))
Have a great day !!!

Olav

ovl

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2018, 10:19:41 pm »

Hi all, after a long silence (sorry bu did not have any time)
I'M STARTING ON MY Y BOAT FROM SPEEDLINE

quality is not very good I have to say
PIECES MISSING, TOOLBOX ,FRONT BAG,FLOOR

here's how the tubes (don't) fit together

after a lot of sanding, yelling cursing and some glu and lots of putty, voila:

Athen started to add details
`

the transom wasn't fitting, so sanding and putty!!!

Here I 'm going to build the oars, the sticks came with the kit, the flat parts are made from scratch.

I hope to finish it all and give it a basecolor by a day or 2

Have a great day !!!

Olav

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2018, 11:01:33 pm »

Hi all, after a long silence (sorry bu did not have any time)
I'M STARTING ON MY Y BOAT FROM SPEEDLINE

quality is not very good I have to say
PIECES MISSING, TOOLBOX ,FRONT BAG,FLOOR

here's how the tubes (don't) fit together

after a lot of sanding, yelling cursing and some glu and lots of putty, voila:

Athen started to add details
`

the transom wasn't fitting, so sanding and putty!!!

Here I 'm going to build the oars, the sticks came with the kit, the flat parts are made from scratch.

I hope to finish it all and give it a basecolor by a day or 2

that's what building is all about...........bit of cajoling, bit of strengthening, bit of filling and rubbing down.....vac formed tubes, as are grp tubes in two halves are notorious for fitting together......just look at the wreck of a 21 I've been working on..........loads of inner supports, and still needed filler...........the joining of two pieces of thin vac formed abs edge to edge is virtually impossible without filler.........just the nature and complexity of the models we crave for these days, putting the manufacturers under so much pressure to come up with the goods in small cottage workshops.

they do their best for you and me and everyone else. O0

ovl

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2018, 10:12:58 pm »

I agree, the joy of building, still think that a bit of plans and pictures would help when you buy a kit... O0
Have a great day !!!

Olav

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2018, 11:45:26 pm »

I agree, the joy of building, still think that a bit of plans and pictures would help when you buy a kit... O0

I cannot understand for the life of me why the RNLI  have stopped selling plans to their lifeboats from their shop...............just ridiculous decision.

ovl

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2018, 11:58:47 pm »

:-))  I agree, we love their boats and the money we pay for the plans is a contribution (small, butt still)

Anyway I'll try to make my boat as nice as possible with help from members here and membres form other forums 8)
Have a great day !!!

Olav

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2018, 12:28:48 am »

:-))  I agree, we love their boats and the money we pay for the plans is a contribution (small, butt still)

Anyway I'll try to make my boat as nice as possible with help from members here and membres form other forums 8)

I don't think its a small contribution, ovl...........the amount of people who are complaining about the refusal to sell plans at the moment is probably costing them hundreds of pounds a year, and this has been going on for nearly 3 years without any thought of re introducing the service...........and to be honest, lifeboat modellers with all their little shows raise thousands per year for the charity.

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2018, 06:42:01 am »

I cannot understand for the life of me why the RNLI  have stopped selling plans to their lifeboats from their shop...............just ridiculous decision.

It’s not just plans, the whole online shop has been taken off-line for more than a year.

(I’m after Tamar plans as well)

Lance

ovl

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2018, 05:38:39 pm »

Hello all,

just back from a test on the water !!
problems with rudders, I don't know if my servo is strong enough, was not able to steer correctly!
So I' could not go full throttle, but it was nice to see her on the water.

Can somebody tell me what servo to buy? (how much KG's it must be able to pull?)

Have a great day !!!

Olav

CJ1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2018, 12:34:52 pm »

I've got a single Hitec HS-645MG servo in my 1/12 Tamar... I've not experienced any problems with it.
Chris

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2018, 05:57:43 pm »

I've got a single Hitec HS-645MG servo in my 1/12 Tamar... I've not experienced any problems with it.
Chris

is that a "mini" servo, chris..........if so, you might want to go for the normal sized servo with metal gearing as opposed to plastic gears......its a big lump to steer on a mini job.

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2018, 06:09:36 pm »

The HS645MG is a high torque standard size serve with metal gears... it just looks small in the Tamar, there’s a lot of room in there.

Lance

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2018, 06:24:07 pm »

The HS645MG is a high torque standard size serve with metal gears... it just looks small in the Tamar, there’s a lot of room in there.

Lance

:-))

CJ1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2018, 06:26:10 pm »

is that a "mini" servo, chris..........if so, you might want to go for the normal sized servo with metal gearing as opposed to plastic gears......its a big lump to steer on a mini job.
No, it’s a full size servo Neil  :-)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2018, 07:07:16 pm »

No, it’s a full size servo Neil  :-)

just looked very small, but as lance said, she's a big spacious boat, making it just look small......cant suggest anything to help then Chris, as I only ever fitted one servo to a similar sized fast plaining boat and she steered well.........honestly don't know then.

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2018, 09:21:35 pm »

Couple two identical servos

CJ1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2018, 01:11:10 pm »

One thing I noticed on your earlier photo of your servo/rudder set up, the linkages look like fairly thin brass wire just bent into the servo and tiller arms. If you had tubes or rods with proprietary adjustable linkages either end, there would be less play and less chance of the wire bending under load, and that would definitely give a more positive response. It's not expensive and for sure worth it for a large, heavy boat like this.
The photo is of my 1/12 Speedline Tamar, and as I say, still no problems after 5 years running.
Chris

ovl

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2018, 07:56:40 pm »

Hi all,

just came back from another test on the water. rudders did fine, just almost lost left prop again! come lose every time, got to check that.
I will need more weight in the boat, still to high on the water.

her's a link with a video:

https://youtu.be/zLpdEFIGIGo
Have a great day !!!

Olav

Holger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2018, 08:52:55 am »

Hello Olav ..

I am also about to start building my Tamar soon .. looking for suggestions and tips I have come to your side .. the water inlets you have installed are really awesome .. !! WOW ..
I would very much like to grow them and use them with the water which flows in there to cool the two regulators ..

That's why I want to ask you if your two friends from France can also do two of the water inlets for me .. ?? I would be infinitely grateful to you and your two friends ..

Holger

Flundle (Speedline Models)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2018, 01:40:40 pm »

Looking at the installation I would think the throw on the servos is too small giving you very little turn on the rudder. Make the throws as big as yo can and retest. Qdjust as necessary at the lakeside.
The servo you are using is fine for the job (dont forget that the rudders are servo assisted by their shape).
The above comment regarding the stiffness of the push rod is very valid. Sliding the push rod through some close fitting carbon tube should help a lot.
Good to see someone building a Tamar on line.
I change the mould for the wheelhouse some time ago to improve the fit of the bridge assy to the GRP wheelhouse. One thing I did as a result was to remove the front face of the bridge moulding and replaced it with a 2mm thick laser-cut part.
A recent customer tells me that its missing and it does look like yours truly has not made one. Tony, (the GRP man) is making me a section of the wheelhouse across the bridge are so I will make the missing part and it will be in future kits. Its easy to make should should you be missing one but ill send you one if want.
Adrian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2018, 01:58:41 pm »

It was good to see the Tamar on the water but It needs more power than you can get from these 800's. They will get very hot too.
My advice is to change them for emax BL4030's and run them on four lipos cells each.
Not only will it go much better, right up on the plane, but it will run for longer too.
The current motor mounts look great and they will mount the 4030's very well.
Adrian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2018, 05:36:04 pm »

Ovl. I am here to help now. Just ask and I will do my best.
Adrian
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.