Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leopard 18A brushless ESC problem  (Read 2367 times)

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Leopard 18A brushless ESC problem
« on: July 04, 2015, 06:40:57 pm »

I seek enlightenment w.r.t. this ESC
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/18a-ground-brushless-motor-speed-controller-esc.html

I had one arrive this morning intended for some experiments in a small boat.  I also got the programming card thingy.  The first thing I did after connecting a motor was to connect the programming card and change a few setup items. That all went well. Then I connected it to a receiver.  When I switched on, the motor started up (throttle not at neutral) and the motor responded to the stick position including neutral in the middle and reverse worked OK - So far so good. 
The instructions include the usual procedure to calibrate the stick positions.  In this case it says "Turn on Tx, hold the SET key on the ESC & then switch on ESC, when the red LED begins to flash release the key immediately."

Problem: The microscopic SET key appears to be a rocker. & there are no LED's.
It's also not clear whether to switch the ESC on with the ESC switch or by plugging the battery in.

Regardless of which way I do it the result is the same - a constant beep, beep, beep, beep..... at about 2 beeps/second.  That beep frequency ties up with nothing in the instructions.

If anybody is interested the instructions can be downloaded here:-
http://www.hobbypartz.com/hobbywing-ezrun-18a-18t-brushless-combo.html

(different make, same instructions.  Look for 'manual' about halfway down the page)

Incidentally mine is Version 2.0 as are the instructions.

Other than a SET switch which does nothing useful, it appears to work OK (at least with the motor unloaded) - the stick calibration is OK as far as I can tell.  It's a good job I bought the programming card - I couldn't program it with the set switch if I needed to.

So - the question is, has anybody used one of these ESCs? Did yours had LEDs? If so where abouts?  Of course I will e-mail component shop on Monday to see what info they have - if any.

TIA for any help.

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Leopard 18A brushless ESC problem
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 07:27:58 am »

Ooops!  I spoke too soon.  {:-{ I found the LEDs.  There is no indication of their whereabouts in the instructions.  The case appears to be opaque black plastic.  At 3a.m. this morning (too hot to sleep) I started playing again and turned the light off in case the LEDs were very dim.  I caught a very dim glow off the wall. Turned the ESC over and there they were - brightly lit glowing through the bottom of the case.  - the only flat surface that you would use to mount if you used the sticky pad that came with it. >:-o   So in all probability there is no problem and I shall do some more experimenting today.

Moderators - feel free to delete the entire topic.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Leopard 18A brushless ESC problem
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 09:40:26 am »

Moderators - feel free to delete the entire topic.
For goodness' sake, no, don't.  Knowing that the LED is hidden away and that the instructions neglect to supply clues as to their whereabouts is valuable information.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.