Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tiller arms - Help!  (Read 4812 times)

shadysadie

• Full Mayhemer
Tiller arms - Help!
« on: July 07, 2015, 01:23:36 pm »

I'm having great trouble trying to source suitable tiller arms for the 3 rudders on my 1/24 scale Vosper Type 2 MTB. Until fairly recently, the main model hardware suppliers all stocked a good range but now the 3 or 4 armed items do not seem to exist. Can any of you good people tell me where to find them or suggest a good alternative method of linking the 3 rudder posts (3.2mm) with whatever is readily available?
Thanks, David.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tiller arms - help please
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 02:04:57 pm »

Hi I am using Meccano parts on 4mm shafts for a Tow Boat.

If just for light use then servo tops can be adjusted and clamped on to screwed shafts of the rudder stock.  Maybe M4 or 4 BA size.
regards Roy

inertia

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 04:36:28 pm »

Raboesch make an excellent unit with a collet which comes with 3mm, 4mm or 5mm bore. http://www.modelboatbits.com/TRIPLE-ARM-TILLER
SHG Marine also manufacture similar items. I have had a very nice (but expensive) Robbe one from CMB but I suspect that has gone the way of Robbe; it's not on their website any longer.
DM

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 04:56:01 pm »

These push rod connectors also from Model Boat Bits no bending bits of wire to right length. I have sent you a pm

Stan.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 05:38:36 pm »

Hi ya there Shadysadie

here is a link from 63 foot RAF Rescue Launch build, which has triple rudders - the rudder linkages and tiller arms are all made from a 3 pin plug using the brass electrical connectors from inside of it - some brass strip cut and drilled and it cost me about 0 to make, apart from the nylon linkages :-)

Also you will need a 25 watt soldering iron or a small blow torch with some soft solder and flux.

aye
John

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9758.msg90496.html#msg90496

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 06:30:22 pm »

I have just replaced mine on the same model and I got them from Cornwall Model Boats.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 06:37:42 pm »

Hi David nice to talk to you this evening. Using those tiller arms and push rod connectors you will have no problems in setting up your rudders . Model Boat Bits service is very good I look forward to seeing pictures of your build hope all goes well.

Stan Reffin
Kirklees Model Boat Club.
Before. {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{now :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

shadysadie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 06:49:22 pm »

Thanks to all of you for the advice - I knew that I could rely on this forum!

I've ordered tiller arms and push rod connectors from Modelboatbits and after a quick enlightening phone chat with Stan, all is now sorted!

Thanks again, David.

inertia

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 07:12:28 pm »

David??   :o O, heck - I've upset me mam again!

You are more than welcome, m'duck, and I don't really mind the long form of my name from someone who doesn't know what a proper Dave I really am. Just don't try it with Stavros! He bites - especially if you mention his locker............... <*<

DM

shadysadie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 07:23:05 pm »

Que?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 09:38:57 pm »

Que?
What is probably the most typical Welsh surname? (Top clue - it ain't Smiff, alas)

- but on topic, thinking how to fix a servo horn to a flat arm, I recently had cause to get a set of assorted small screws to sort out some spectacles that had been assembled with the wrong 'uns.  Just under £5 from the far east, hundreds of 'em, varying lengths and matching nuts.  And a neat combined jewellers screwdriver and nut spinner.  Not tried them, but they look about the right size.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
  • Owner of The RCMB Forum
    • RCMB Forum
Re: Tiller arms - Help!
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 12:33:09 am »

Simple DIY tiller arms .. why buy when u can build one...

One method i know is to use a 3 pin brass plug prong, use the hole with the screw in it to secure to the rudder post ( that hole is around 3mm i believe so u may need to drill it out to the right size if larger.) then just drill a few holes down its length for the linkage attachment point,  you can tap out the holes if needs be to fit ball joints.

Or the other method i use is to bend a strip of 6mm brass around a nut and screw.. to form a U shape, then drill near the edge of the bend the right size hole to fit the rudder shaft. then using a hacksaw cut a slot into the hole you just drilled and widen it slightly with a file then drill a section of holes down the length again, to do it up tight, just slot a nut and bolt through the form/folded edge and tighten up around the shaft which sits in the hole with the slot. simple, old school, much stronger grip on shafts and no crap grub screws you will no doubt thread later.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tiller arms - Help!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 09:39:54 pm »

And, the brass bits in small chocolate blocks (electrical connectors) have 1/8" (3.2mm) holes in them, so you can clamp them to the rudder shafts, having soldered your preferred arms to them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.