Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fantasy Huntress Build  (Read 18217 times)

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fantasy Huntress Build
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2016, 11:09:07 am »

I'm still not happy with the weight distribution , so I'm going back to 9.6v NiHms , single stick this time & that's needed some new battery cradles . . . .
remove the old twin mount's . . .

ground out the araldite back to the hull.

The new mounts . . .

Fitting round the stern tube will keep it secure .

Glued back in with Araldite . . .

And coated with it as well to waterproof them.

Repainted . . . .

The paint's still tacky after 5 days .

With the extra volt (9.6v instead of 8.4v) it'll give a thousand or so more revs , plus the bigger prop  and the weight loss of 500grms should improve things no end , all I need is the weather . . . .
Bill

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 02:51:44 pm »

Nice modification Bill you will soon be giving J.J. a run for his money {-)

Mark.
Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 03:48:30 pm »

You've got a PM Mark.
Bill

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 11:51:31 pm »

Bill......that is a nice clean modification :-))

We see the cooling water pickup point and the motor water jacket inlet & outlet ports, however is the final water discharge that black mark [in an earlier image] on the stdb side of the hull about midships?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 12:03:03 am »

That's correct Derek , the discharge is the stbd outlet . . . the pickup pipe's depth position is critical in the prop wash to get a healthy thru flow of water , I've just got the one pickup feeding thru the motor then the ESC & out of the discharge .
Bill

drseg

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2016, 09:05:12 am »

phew read it all, excellent build, did the battery relocate cure the attempts to submarine under deceleration?

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2016, 11:55:53 pm »

phew read it all, excellent build, did the battery relocate cure the attempts to submarine under deceleration?

It helped , but if I try to come off the power quickly it dives into it's own wake ,just got to live with it . . .the extra volt (9.6v from 8.4v) & the weight reduction really makes it fly now , with Brushless motors the voltages are all important as the power band is given in Kv (revs per volt)
Bill

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2016, 09:55:26 pm »

Well , after 12 months regular running (3 days a week) surviving numerous ramming's / getting dropped  :embarrassed:  cold fingers (bent the rudder)  and the odd rescue of other boats ( TUG'S  {-)  ), the boat's  kept on going . . .

get good battery life from the single stick , around 40 minute's high speed / 30 minutes slow . . . very little water getting into the hull even in rough waters , by sheer fluke I have a good boat . . . .
Bill  %%

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2016, 12:13:13 pm »

With the success of the Swordsman conversion to LIPO's , and not having burnt the house down or see the boat explode , I've been experimenting with a LIPO setup in the huntress (meddling  %%  ) not wanting to commit to it completely I've attached a battery carrier to the top of the rear NiHm frame . . . .

The servo end is locked down by two brass pins thru the servo bulkhead, only a push fit so easily removed, these also serve as strap mounts for the battery.
This allows the LIPO to be across the boat , weighing 250g less than the NiHm stick & further back in the boat plus the removal of the lead ballast from the rear (125g) makes things noticeably lighter . . .

Stupidly fast now , I've propped down to 35standard from 35x.
The ESC has a 3.4 cut off setting for LIPO batteries so I set that up , gives you limp home mode when it activates . . . a real seagull worrier now  <*< Bill

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2016, 08:52:09 am »

:embarrassed:  OOPs put the wrong last pic up , it should've been . . . .

Bill  %%

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2016, 09:18:04 am »

Bill...is it just an illusion.....or are the wire sizes progressively smaller....wire loom from the battery looks heavier than the jumper extension, then the wire from the motor looks lighter than the jumper extension  :o.......... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2016, 10:08:14 am »

Yeah , the battery's leads are 10g I use 14g in all my wiring & from the E S C ? god knows  :P
Bill

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 11:12:23 am »

The speed now is alarmingly quick , wont turn properly under power , drop the power as it turns & it's OK the increased rev's from the extra 2 volts is making the prop cavitate until it gets up on the plane , ideal seagull worrier tho', they'll need jet packs to take off quicker . . . :-))
Bill

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2017, 10:29:46 am »

Hi imsinking

Checking out your boat to get some idea of battery position.
The plans I received with my boat are not what you would call plans as it's on two sheets of A4.
But I have ways to get them to full size!!!
Great looking boat !!!!

Canabus

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2018, 11:44:43 am »

Hmm, blowing 20amp fuses  regularly , now it's winter on full power ,toying with changing the inrunner motor to an outrunner with less KV , runs fine at half throttle  , I think the inrunner at 1780KV is to strong outrunner may save more weight forward , I'll look into it . . . .
Bill

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 12:14:18 pm »

Hi imsinking
I am running a Hobbyking 3648-1450 1600Watt with a 100A ESC, 3s 5800mah Lipo and a 2 blade 40mm 1.4 pitch prop.
It's quick and I do back off for the turns.
I have the nose of the boat a little down at rest.
It picks up the bow on power easily.
I have not tried 4S that will add about 5000 rpm !!!

Canabus

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2018, 04:15:40 pm »

I'm tempted by a Leopard outrunner LC3536 - 8T - 960Kv , and 95grms weight , it's only half the weight of the inrunner that's on the boat now at 200gms , no ones got any at the moment , keeping an eye out . . .
Bill

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2018, 08:13:00 pm »

Bill
A great model. The deeper prop will help to avoid cavitation. But I would experiment  by making a rudder with a bit more leading edge at the bottom. A lot of forward thrust is possibly bypassing the rudder reducing it’s effectiveness. You can also add a layer of say 2mm ply to each side. This can then be profiled like a wing but with the thickest section in the centre (not like a aero profile). I would also experiment with less crew. Just the helmsman. Or move the two guys to the stern. It might reduce the nose dive tendencies. Hope it all works out.
David
David

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2018, 02:12:36 am »

Fed up with the constant fuse blowing I took the plunge & got a Tornado Thumper from Overlander . . .
It's a V3 3530/14 1100Kv weighing in at 70grams , this might help the nose heavy attitude too . . . .
it looks TINY . . . .

Fitted straight in & I fitted my usual fan on the coupling adaptor as there's no water cooling, first run yesterday (Friday) wow . . . no insane howling from the motor anymore & it's sitting up more forward, goes on the plane straight away at third throttle, speed is a bit less , was far to fast previously on 11.1 LIPO with the Leopard inrunner (lep 2845/5 1780Kv) but still a seagull worrier , well pleased  :-))
Bill

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2018, 08:30:34 pm »

When you compare the new brushless motor with the original brushed version you wonder why anyone uses brushed motors in performance boats. In my Sea Queen I added a computer to fan for cooling though I think you can get water cooled mounting plates.
Yet another step forward with the boat.
David
David

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2019, 11:03:15 am »

Well , at the end of this year, 2019 , the boats been reliable UNTIL I hit the lake wall at full speed HEAD ON  :embarrassed:  the neck strap got tangled round the throttle & rudder sticks , like an idiot I looked down to see what it was , the BANG focused my attention  >>:-(  still had power & brought it back to my side of the lake , hmm looks OK ,   :o  MAYHEM inside . . . the battery had come off it's mount smashed the oiler tube off the stern tube wrecked the cabin cross member latching bar and was starting to SWELL up , disconnected it immediately  and threw it on the concrete block , got out of the blast area by hiding behind the club lockup , after a few minutes I peered round the container . . . and everything was STILL THERE , so no nuclear fallout  , the battery was U/S a big dent in the side of it where it hit the oiler tube & really swelled up  . . . cut the wires off it and put it in a bucket of sea water and hid it  until next club day , wasn't taking it home , nothing about bomb squads being called to the lake on the news , so all was well . . . repairs took a couple of weeks the bows had cracked where it met the deck & everything else was re positioned , the stern tube was OK hadn't been moved , got off fairly lightly considering , just a new battery .
Bill

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2019, 08:57:22 pm »

Good that it didn't come off too badly and you have repaired it.

Given that you have used a Huntsman 31 hull what you have actually built is more akin to a Huntsman 31 Sport which has a large open cockpit and no aft cabin unlike the more common Huntsman 31. I'm currently scratch building a Huntsman 31 Sport.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2019, 12:16:14 pm »

Good that it didn't come off too badly and you have repaired it.

Given that you have used a Huntsman 31 hull what you have actually built is more akin to a Huntsman 31 Sport which has a large open cockpit and no aft cabin unlike the more common Huntsman 31. I'm currently scratch building a Huntsman 31 Sport.

Chris
Keep the forward weight as light as possible , with the steep rake on the bows it will sit low, i'm convinced I've made the cabin too heavy being the root cause of my problem .
Bill

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2019, 10:49:26 am »

Thanks Bill, I'll bear that in mind.

One of the problems with the models of course is that we have to fit the motor(s) much further forward than in the full sized boats which doesn't help when coming off the plane.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.