Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I use an Outrunner motor for a portable generator to charge laptops  (Read 3272 times)

cloud9128

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

I have recently received bought an out runner motor and its ESC from in Europe but they couldn't ship the batteries so now I don't have its battery and RC. And I am unable to start the motor need help

Details for the motor and controller are provided below.
http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?page=61&product=2814&serie=20&line=GOLD
https://www.electricwingman.com/jeti/eco-25.aspx

Can I use lead acid batteries temporarily while I test my equipment using outrunner?

We are working on a portable generator that will charge all your smart devices as well as laptops. We wish to replace the regular motor with an out runner. Below is the youtube link for one of my dry test run on old motor but it wont sustain the load of 1600 grams. hence outrunner.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssKqWvErEjA

Best regards,
Punit Patel
 91 94**********

It is not advisable to out telephone numbers on a live Forum.

ken

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer

Yes, subject to spec., you can use any battery type for your circuit.

However, devices for providing 5v USB output direct from any 7v to 24v power supply are plentiful and much more efficient.

Starting at about £1.04,  you can cut out most of the circuit you are designing..

Search Google for " step down converter to 5v USB "

eg   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/140832358304?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

I run a Raspberry Pi off whatever battery is to hand without any problems.

cloud9128

• Shipmate

Hi Ken,

Apologies thank you for hiding the no. old habits die hard.

Kinmel - Thank you for the information.
This is the first time I am using an outrunner motor. I have the battery but when I connect +ve and -ve terminals and use the start switch it wont start. I believe I am missing a part may be a potentiometer but I am not certain how to connect it. The Yeti ESC it has a switch and an additional clip with 3 connector orange, red and brown wires. how do I connect it or what do I connect it with to regulate the speed of the motor. I need the motor at 1500 rpm because the alternator that I have built is designed to generate 100w at 1500 rpm.  About the 5v circuit I am using a car charger where the input is between 12-24v and output is 5v. I just need something 1. to start the motor & 2. stabilize the rpm for outrunner.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer

The esc has 2 sets of cables. The first set are a pair and connect to the battery ( through a fuse ) and check polarity.

The second set is 3 wires, connect each of these wires to any to any of the 3 wires coming from the motor.  There is no correct combination.  If the motor runs backwards, simply swap any 2 of the 3 wires over.

That motor needs a 3s (11.1v), or 4s battery (14.4v ) to run. It provides 840 revs per volt without load. 

The esc does not support lead acid batteries and only supports 7.2v to 12v. so your choices are a 3s LIPO, or 10 NiMH cells in series.

cloud9128

• Shipmate

Now this is where I was confused I thought I could run it using a lead acid batteries. Perfect I will order a 3s Lipo cell todays itself.

Thank you for the help. have a great weekend

inertia

The Yeti ESC it has a switch and an additional clip with 3 connector orange, red and brown wires. how do I connect it or what do I connect it with to regulate the speed of the motor.

You will need either a radio-control receiver or a servo tester. The second item will connect to the 3-wire lead from the ESC (Brown/Red/Orange - Brown is negative) and you can use it in Manual mode to adjust the motor speed by turning the rotary knob on the top. The ESC has a battery eliminator so you should not need to plug a separate battery into the Input side of the servo tester.
Here's a typical servo tester http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8296__Turnigy_Servo_Tester.html
and here's a diagram of what I'm talking about.
DM

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.

That motor needs a 3s (11.1v), or 4s battery (14.4v ) to run. It provides 840 revs per volt without load. 

The esc does not support lead acid batteries and only supports 7.2v to 12v. so your choices are a 3s LIPO, or 10 NiMH cells in series.

Yes, you can use a lead acid battery of sufficient voltage to power your ESC and motor. The combo won't care what supplies the correct voltages as long as it has enough. I believe the 'support' bit comes from the possibility there are low voltage protectors for the different types of chemical make ups in batteries, lead acid not being one of them.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer

Other than demonstrating that it is possible, there really is no reason to have any motors involved.  If a higher voltage than that of the drive battery is required, there are step-up circuits available.  If a 5 volt supply is needed, which is fairly standard for anything USB, the ESCs BEC does that job perfectly, in fact, a stand alone uBEC would probably be better as it will be able to supply more current without wasting as much energy. For other voltages, a wide range of voltage regulator ICs are available which give adjustable voltage.  Motor and generator inefficiencies will waste half the available power.  This is the main reason why rotary converters fell out of use many years ago.
The ESC in the link claims to be able to use 6-10 NiMH cells, 10 NiMH is nearly enough equivalent to a 12 volt Lead Acid battery.  Used in mode 1 it will not know the difference - 12 volts is 12 volts wherever it comes from.  It will need a control input before it can give an output.  This can be supplied by using a servo tester, but the tester must be very carefully calibrated since it is easy to give a signal that is outside the range that the ESC programming expects, and results would be uncertain.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

cloud9128

• Shipmate

thank you for the information I have placed order for the servo and will receive it on Monday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.