Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: initialising brushless setup  (Read 4133 times)

Glyn Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Creativity is contagious, pass it on.
initialising brushless setup
« on: July 27, 2015, 03:06:28 pm »

Hi,
I have just completed a build with a brushless setup and some one told me that I need to initialise the radio control system ( he stressed that he was not refering to binding)  but to initialising the radio with the motors.   He said that I do this using the radio controls.

My question is, is he right and if so what did he mean?   I cannot question him futher as he is a stranger I met at the pond.   This is my first brushless setup and I am still learning.

Regards Glyn

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
Re: initialising brushless setup
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 04:17:53 pm »

Most likely he was referring to "programing the ESC". Modern brushless ESCs have various settings that can be tweaked to match your requirements.

The ESC also has to learn (or be taught) the trottle signal range from your TX. If you fail to do this you may not be able to go full throttle or on the other hand will end up at full throttle though you've only pushed the stick halfway forward.

What ESC did you get ?

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 04:26:13 pm »

:embarrassed: I think what he is referring to is programming the ESC using the tx,if you what to to change programme you can download instructions from the internet or you may be happy with factory settings,if I was you I would try it out as is and change at a later date if you want too,it is a learning curve so take it slowly,Ray. :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Glyn Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 05:39:18 pm »

Hi Calimero,     http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__67040__HobbyKing_50A_Boat_ESC_4A_UBEC.html

The above is the ESC.   I also ordered a program card after being advised to.   Its sounds as if this card also does the job you mentioned.  I have not as yet received it hobbyking take an age to post.

Regards and thanks Glyn

Glyn Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 05:42:12 pm »

Hi sparkey

thanks for input, I will take it easy as I don't have a clue about brushless.

Regards Glyn

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 11:22:38 pm »

Glynn I'm no expert but here goes.......  I recently bought an ESC and it arrived with no instructions, after a bit of research I managed to program it. It sounds complicated but if I can do it anyone can.

This is yours.....

1. Running Mode: A Forward with brake B Forward and reverse with brake C Forward and reverse
2 Acceleration: A 6% B 9% C 12%
3 Low Voltage Protection: None / 2.6V / 2.8V / 3.0V / 3.2V / 3.4V
4 Start Mode (Punch): Level 1 / Level 2 / Level 3 / Level 4 / Level 5 / Level 6 / Level 7 / Level 8 / Level 9
5 Reverse Force: 25% / 50% / 75% / 100
6 Timing: 0° / 5° / 10° / 15° / 20° / 25° / 30° / Automatic

What this means.....
1 choose 'c' simply push fwd for fwd, centre for stop and pull back for reverse.

2 A slow boat B medium and C racer

3 The ESC shuts down (to save your lipo battery at the chosen voltage

4 Punch..... The amount of power you want to send to the prop if you open the throttle quickly. Software designed for cars to reduce the amount of wheel spin if the car is on sand for example. Read this same as number 2

5 hopefully obvious

6 sorry no idea ask a clever person......

How to choose. Mmmmmm well firstly you will need to SET neutral full fwd and full reverse. PROBABLY like this (but not definitely)

1 turn on the transmitter
2 set the throttle in the centre position
3 press SET on the ESC and hold it
4 turn on the ESC and wait for a signal (beep, flash or both)
5 release the set button on the ESC
6 push throttle full open and press SET on the ESC (hopefully another conformation beep or flash)
7 pull throttle full back press SET on the ESC and listen for the conformation beep.

That should be your throttle limits set up. Now for the 1 to 6 as above....

With the transmitter on and stick in neutral (somewhere your not going to nudge it) turn off the ESC press set and hold then turn it back on, keep it pressed until you hear a single beep or see a single flash.
This means you are in mode 1 IE running mode. Hopefully by pressing set once you choose 'a' twice is 'b' and three times is 'c' the one you choose is indicated to you by flashes or beeps. IE 3 flashes or beeps is fwd and reverse.

If you find reverse doesn't work the first time you pull the stick back just centre the stick and pull back again. It just means you chose fwd brake reverse instead of fwd reverse.

After a few attempts you will start to realise the program pattern. Just remember you have six modes and they are in the order as above......... Hope it's like this if not it will just be a matter of counting flashes or beeps to see which mode it's in. 

One more thing..... If your radio is Futaba I believe you have to reverse the throttle channel on the radio. If it is and you don't know how just ask......... Good luck.... U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

gra2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 08:47:25 am »

Hi Glyn,

Try before you make any changes.

Some Hobby king esc come setup with forward and reverse some do not.

Graham

Glyn Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 01:46:07 pm »

Thanks for replys unsinkable2 and gra2,   a lot to consider so will take things slowly.

Is it ok to run motors out of water for short periods as I have a wet room without bathtub.

Regards Glyn

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 02:13:27 pm »

:-)) As you have no load on motor and ESC that will be OK,if you are using outrunner and car ESC they will provide there own air cooling,water cooled ESC will run for ages with no cooling as long as there is no load on the motor,Ray. :-))   

Glyn Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 02:19:03 pm »

Thanks Sparkey,

ESC is watercooled and motors are outrunners.

Regards Glyn

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 03:24:02 pm »

Also, the "beeps" actually comes from the brushless motor so you need it connected for programing the ESC!

If the motor runs backwards, swap any two of the 3 motor cables.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Glyn Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 05:27:01 pm »

Thanks Martin,   Regards Glyn

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 06:13:27 pm »

Glyn

I have the 30 amp version of that Speed Controller. If you are using LiPos, you don't need to do any setup. If you are using NiMh, you may want to adjust the cut-off voltage, but it will work even if you don't.
The programmer card is much easier to use than listening to beeps  :-))

Barrie

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 06:36:13 pm »

:-)) As Barrie says you don't have to do anything for it to work,I use NiMh batteries only because I have a lot of spare ones and have no problems,anyway I would get the boat in the water and see how it performs before you start fiddling with set up, you never know you might  be happy with the way it goes,I have a large collection of plastic props which I use to try a new boat/motor at the lake,when I find the one gets the best performance combined  with decent run I get a expensive brass one of the same type and size,in this game there is a lot of trial and error to get it right unless you can find someone with the same boat,motor and ESC and that is very unlikely,and all this is part of the fun of boat modelling and if you belong to a club there is always a member to help you out,Ray. :-))     

Glyn Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 08:12:29 pm »

Hi Barriew and Sparkey,

Thanks for that input,  I have been running motors and servo and everything seems to run OK except that reverse takes a while to engage when switching from forward motion to reverse so I will have to address that when I get the program card.  I will be able to try it out on the pond once the charger gets to me.

Why is hobbyking so slow in delivery? I know that some stuff has to come from Hong Kong, but 45 days???
Regards and thanks Glyn

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 08:35:03 pm »

:-)) Yes hobbyking don't hurry themselves,waited 5 months for a 285kv motor a couple of years ago, there was a backlog on order so I thought it would take a week or two for stock to come in but 5 months!I would have cancelled it but I needed that very motor and made mounts for that particular motor so just waited and waited and it came at last, and by then I lost interest in project and it is still on the shelf in the workshop,must finish it one day,that is what happens when try to do too many models,you think a man of my age would have learnt his lesson by now,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))     

Glyn Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 08:47:18 pm »

Most modellers seem to be in the autumn of thier days,  used to modell when a boy, then girls came along,  now in second boyhood and modelling like crazy. %%

Regards Glyn

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 06:41:33 am »

Why is hobbyking so slow in delivery? I know that some stuff has to come from Hongcon, but 45 days???
Regards and thanks Glyn

Glyn
 I try to buy from the European Warehouse. Postage is often cheaper than the UK Warehouse, and delivery quicker than from HK :-))

Barrie

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 01:21:14 pm »

buy from the European Warehouse. Postage is often cheaper than the UK Warehouse, and delivery quicker than from HK :-))

Also no VAT or Import duty issues!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.