Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wifi control....  (Read 5173 times)

henly1234

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Wifi control....
« on: July 28, 2015, 09:40:37 am »

... anyone gone down these lines, I've just bought myself a drone, and the electronics on that are pretty small, it is controlled via a Android tablet including camera feedback so someone must be manufacturing these gismo's.
Life is like a child's shirt, Short and full of S**t,
(in remembrance of an old skipper of mine)

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
Re: Wifi control....
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 10:26:05 am »

I got a 4 channel Wifi RX from HobbyKing. Control app has to be loaded manually on the phone or tablet.

Have only fiddled with it a little bit. I'm not sure I would use it on a model boat (beyond a few yards). And I like sticks better than a touch screen.

henly1234

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 10:29:52 am »

I got a 4 channel Wifi RX from HobbyKing. Control app has to be loaded manually on the phone or tablet.

Have only fiddled with it a little bit. I'm not sure I would use it on a model boat (beyond a few yards). And I like sticks better than a touch screen.

I agree about the sticks but its the camera aspect I'm interested in, and the drone is operable line of sight up to a Km unmodified

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 10:41:45 am »

1km line of sight with Wifi ? Did you test it to such range ?

What are you looking for: controls or FPV ?

henly1234

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 10:54:10 am »

1km line of sight with Wifi ? Did you test it to such range ?

What are you looking for: controls or FPV ?
yes its well documented (see youtube drones), whats FPV? if that's Video then yes, I would like to view a onboard camera via a android device as I control the boat via sticks, or similar.

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 01:24:04 pm »

yes its well documented (see youtube drones), whats FPV? if that's Video then yes, I would like to view a onboard camera via a android device as I control the boat via sticks, or similar.

FPV drones don't use WiFi. Most cheaper setups are analogic 5.8Ghz transmitters, up to 600mW (though it is actually forbidden to have such output in Europe). There are also some digital transmitters that are HD-capable but they're much more expensive.

Anyway you'll find what you're looking for on the HK web site (or others) in the "FPV / Aerial Video / Telemetry" page.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 01:35:19 pm »

If its this one - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21430__Hobbyking_IOS_Android_4CH_WiFi_Receiver.html - it does say "Range: 60~70 meters (car/truck/boat) / 100~120 meters (aircraft)", so 1Km would be unlikely.
FPV - First Person Video
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

henly1234

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 01:38:19 pm »

see https://shop.epictv.com/en/drones/ardrone-20-quadcopter-elite-edition-sand?sku=PRRTAR2SAND&gclid=CNexiuTp_cYCFQWWtAodP0QN2A

I'm sorry I don't know much about FPV (I've just googled it), what I'm taking about is a control system that will work with a android app, not that I will be using the control bit just the bit that allows me to see through the bridge window on my tablet, when my boat is under way.

What is HK? Ive just googled that and got everything from Hong Kong to Heckler & Koch, but nothing like I want.

Ah ok just seen your reply.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 01:43:58 pm »

From your link - "The device has built-in Wi-Fi to facilitate connection to your smartphone or mobile device, which provides a wireless range of up to 165' depending on conditions."  Rather less than 1 Km, but then WiFi as a system was designed to be short range.  It would be unusable for its intended purpose if it wasn't.

HK = HobbyKing

henly1234

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 01:53:23 pm »

OK, I only know what the people who sold it to me said and what I researched on the net, try this one for instance, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIo2MgdeacI, I've been flying it for some time now and it flies considerably more than 165', anyway, that being said, this thread is to ask for advice on model boat wifi control not as a vehicle for wifi range discussions, thank you.

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 02:21:29 pm »

If you read the description under the video you'll see that both the Drone and the tabled have been heavily modded or upgraded to improve range.

Most typical drone/FPV setups use a regular 2.4Ghz RX/TX for controls and have two extra HF devices:
- a TX (drone) / RX (ground station or goggles) pair in 5.8Ghz for video downlink
- a TX (drone) / RX (computer) pair in 900Mhz or 433Mhz for telemetry (which can also be used to control the drone from control software)

In the most extreme cases  (extra long range), the standard 2.4Ghz TX module in the transmitter is not used but instead they go for high power modules with directional antennas (sometimes even tracking the actual position of the drone).

What exactly do you want to achieve ?
- video feedback on a screen or googles ?
and/or
- control from a Tablet or other touch screen ?

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 05:27:02 pm »

I have used two different WIFI based r/c devices:

1) the hobbyking 4 channel wifi receiver.
crap.  it doesn't have a 70m range.   more like 50m.   it has no capabilities for FPV.  it is "telecommand" only.  I was constantly driving the boat out of wifi range.  gave up on it after two outings.

2) Parrot AR Drone (original model)  much better range, but still not adequate.  probably 150m.  has video connection to the drone.  very limited functionality compared to "real" quadcopters.

The final issue both suffer from is the screen brightness of the controller device.  a standard run of the mill android tablet will not have a bright enough screen to see anything in bright daylight.   I used a 7" nexus tablet, which has a screen twice as bright as the average.   for any FPV device that uses a tablet or phone for the remote camera view, this will be an issue.

in all cases of the WIFI setup, it is the tablet/phone that is the limiting factor.  they are low power devices.  they are not designed the way the 2.4ghz transmitters, or the 1.3/2.4/5.8ghz video equipment is designed.    openlrs and comparable devices are reaching 20km ranges.   best start would be to look at devices in hobbyking's fpv section

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__543__172__FPV_Aerial_Video_Telemetry-FPV_Accessories.html

and figure out what you need to add to an existing boat to get FPV on that boat.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 09:02:06 pm »

this thread is to ask for advice on model boat wifi control not as a vehicle for wifi range discussions
Very true, but control only happens within the distance range of the control medium, be it WiFi, radio or a length of string.  Range, or lack of it, is very central to any discussion on the use of WiFi as a control medium.  The long ranges quoted are through clear air to a flying object with clear line of sight using (probably illegally) modified WiFi gear, rather than standard over the counter gear in a boat.  So the advice, considering the range wanted, is "Don't".

henly1234

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 11:06:19 pm »

Am I speaking a foreign language here, I plainly said I want the wifi for video, as through a camera mounted on the bridge, and received on an android device, I'm not looking for controlling it as I said I prefer using sticks,  just asking if anyone else had done it, not looking for advice on wifi controllable distance legal or otherwise.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 11:51:48 pm »

Sorry, I can't help with using the phone apps with camera or FPV..

Perhaps this bird can help...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olej9lNnZRg
.(well actually they seem to prefer a standard fpv set up....) :((

Feel free to split the thread if the OP's FPV question verses wifi control version are getting muddled.

I can't even get the Hobby king wifi control app, or if I did, get it, I couldn't load it on to my phone.

"Android",...   {:-{ I just got a message that said there was no program to run the app.

Not sure what I have been doing wrong, but I wanted to use the wifi to run this little boat.

henly1234

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 06:20:06 am »

Sorry, I can't help with using the phone apps with camera or FPV..

Perhaps this bird can help...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olej9lNnZRg
.(well actually they seem to prefer a standard fpv set up....) :((

Feel free to split the thread if the OP's FPV question verses wifi control version are getting muddled.

I can't even get the Hobby king wifi control app, or if I did, get it, I couldn't load it on to my phone.

"Android",...   {:-{ I just got a message that said there was no program to run the app.

Not sure what I have been doing wrong, but I wanted to use the wifi to run this little boat.

Hehe made my day, and my Jack Russells loved it, had to stop the vid part way because they were making such a racket, (why is it that JR's hate birds so much especially parakeets), I'll have a look later, looks interesting.

henly1234

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 06:33:23 am »

Maybe I'm getting a bit too enthusiastic with my RC technology, normally I sell my boats after the build and initial launch but this one is waaayy over the top with the money I've spent on electronics, its like an addiction once I start I cant stop until the boat is full, I don't even know yet if this one will be buoyant enough to float its got that much c**p in it  :-) :-) :-) , I've just fitted an mp3 player, and the guy I bought it from suggested that seeing as I've got a lot of spare capacity on it I should fit a trembler switch so if the boat crashed then it could play a crashing noise  :-) and I'm seriously considering it, how sad is that.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 01:37:53 pm »

if you want to try just wifi video....     get a gopro or gopro equivalent that has wifi capability, including preview.  then installl the gopro app on your android device...  connect the android device to the gopro, install the gopro on the boat.   and suffer all the range issues that we discussed earlier.  ie, the video will cut out about 100-150 feet from shore.   A friend has a Blade 350 qx3, with a gopro 3+ wifi, and that is how well his setup works...  except that it took us several days to get his gopro firmware upgraded in order to reset the wifi configuration he messed up....

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 01:58:22 pm »

Am I speaking a foreign language here, I plainly said I want the wifi for video, as through a camera mounted on the bridge, and received on an android device, I'm not looking for controlling it as I said I prefer using sticks

Quote from: henly1234
... that being said, this thread is to ask for advice on model boat wifi control  ...

Yeah, right.  %)

Umi_Ryuzuki I downloaded the Android app from the manufacturer's website (URL given with the device, site in China). Seems it's also available on the HK site. You have to copy the software package (.apk) to your device, and manually install it. Security checks/signature verification has to be disable ("Accept untruster apps" or something in the Android application or security settings)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.