Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wtc build  (Read 3609 times)

webbo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Wtc build
« on: August 03, 2015, 12:35:01 pm »

Hi Guys
Finally gotten round to start on my L A class submarine , I have the WTC and now need 2x esc I have seen  mtronics viper sub 10 but they are very expensive , do I really need these . Can any one put me onto a shop where I can get hold of all the parts I will need to complete the WTC , cannot source small items like servo linkage boots, push rod waterproofing . I have 2x parallax servos but am concerned about routing of linkages and last but not least (for now ) what type of battery do I need , I have 2xtornado 7.5v 3800mAh and 2x 12v vp 5000 racing batteries , will any of these be ok .
Regards Jeff Webster (Webbo)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Wtc build
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 01:37:58 pm »

No you don't need the vipers. I always rate microgyros esc's, very rugged, and cheaper than Mtroniks for equivalent spec, however Mike doesn't seem to be supplying stuff at the moment and his website is down.

I'm sure he'll be back at some point, however if you're in a hurry, i would suggest an ESC with 15-20A is sufficient, even 10A if it's a good 10A.

The sub version controllers have a better spec of BEC, to handle the higher amount of servos generally found in subs. If you look at their standard range and run a separate BEC, you'll save yourself a few notes. If you're running at less than 7.2 volts, then you could look at these controllers.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__32025__HobbyKing_X_Car_45A_Brushed_Car_ESC.html

For rubber bellows ebay is good, and cheap. e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Push-Rod-Rubber-Seal-Bellow-Waterproof-Normal-Size-12-Pieces-37mm-For-RC-Boat-/390748225033?hash=item5afa68be09

Battery wise, either of those will do. bear in mind when selecting a motor, you want a shaft speed of about 3000RPM or under for a scale prop. Most motors will almost certainly need reduction.

You won't need super power 20-30 watts should be sufficient for good submerged performance. A speed 400 size motor will be adequate, you can go bigger though if you choose.

webbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 03:08:33 pm »

Thanks subculture, you have given me invaluable help here managed to get bellows off e.bay already. Motor is already fitted in the WTC by Jim Horobin plus water pump, had to send off to china for solenoid valve to fit onto ballast line couldn't find one local . Will ask Jim about specs of motor.
Cheers Pal

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 07:23:17 pm »

I find a servo controlled pinch valve works very well, and the parts are all user serviceable. You don't need a big servo either, I found a little 9 gram servo was quite sufficient, the key is to use thinner silicone tubing which pinches up easily.

webbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 05:02:30 pm »

Well I've got on really well with wtc all parts i ordered arrived and i got it all assembled quite fast . Had a leak in aft compartment, took a while to find it but it was through bellows for servo rods , i filled these with grease which stopped the leak but up till now only had wtc a few inches under water .2nd leak was in centre ballast tank while under pressure ,  this was air escaping ,  tightening the nuts up a bit more solved this.So now i am back on ship for a month so no more submarines for a while but i would like to ask for ideas on auto levellers and fail safes , where to get them etc and is there any thing i should know about lead-acid battery's, mine would have to sit fwd of wtc do i need to protect terminals from water, maybe with some gel !!!!. Sorry pictures not very clear and a bit of a mess inside , tidy up when i get home , ship shape and bristol fashion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.