The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Working Vessels

1:72 scale model Danish train ferry, the Freia

(1/12) > >>

Edmund:
 A little late for a build log as I've already started but I suppose there is quite a way still to go!  I've always been interested in good looking but unusual ships, so a train ferry makes a good choice.  This model is a small roll-on-roll off rail ferry with a nice open rear deck to model and a bow door that opens.  I've rigged it up with a sail winch to open and close the visor as the real thing.  I believe the original ship, the Freia, which was built in Denmark, was one of the first ferries to be built with a bow door, very unusual in 1936.  By the way the original ship existed until very recently though much altered as a ship known as the Ischia Express in Turkey.  It may still exist as far as I know.

The hull is plank on frame on 3mm ply bulkheads.  The planks are 1/8th inch balsa which is fantastic to plank with - very forgiving as it sands smoothly into shape, holes filled with car filler sanded and glassed.  Upper hull is 1/32nd ply.  Two 540 motors powered by 6v battery will be the power plant which is all neatly fitted beneath the main vehicle deck.  It should be possible, if one should wish to drive a 00 Hornby train through the ship!  The train already on the deck is an old continental Marklin sleeper carriage for authenticity.

I realise behind in the photos is another of my creations, the Icelandic motor vessel Gullfoss of the Eimskip shipping line, another Danish built ship from 1947.  I have happy memories of sailing to Reykjavik on her regularly as a child.  I drew up plans for her from old photos that I found.  She regularly sails our local pond these days, a very solid heavy and reliable model able to sail in any weather!

I've included photos of the plans I've drawn up for the Freia - you can get an idea of what I'm aiming to achieve!

hama:
That's indeed an interesting subject, really looking forward to watch your progress. She looks beautiful as does the "Gullfoss". If you haven't shown her before please do!
All the best!
Hama

carlmt:
I echo Hama's sentiments........this is a wonderful model  :-))

Look forward to seeing more details of this one as she progresses  O0

Edmund:
As requested a few photos of the MV Gullfoss - it should be entitled 1:72 Danish passenger/cargo ship - this one is bread and butter construction - very cheap materials - carved floorboards with plywood decks and plastic card superstructure.  Plans and lines were drawn from photos but it's a good likeness I believe. She likes a good Atlantic storm as you can see from the last photo, just like the original.  The QE2 in the background is nothing to do with me - she just happened to be at anchor as we sailed past!

Since these photos were taken I've added passengers to the decks and a few cars sitting on the hatch covers and she looks much better.

hama:
Thanks! She really is a beautiful vessel and on the last photo even the sea looks real!
Hama

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version