Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Engel Gato SS212  (Read 57585 times)

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
Re: Engel Gato SS212
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2016, 05:58:00 pm »

Hi derekwarner_decoy,

yep the photo's were filtered with photoshop for the effect. Ian does a get job when doing our club photos, just wish the file sizes where a bit smaller (20meg per photo  {-) )

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2016, 08:27:23 am »

Very nice, JR...good to see you haven't lost your touch.
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2016, 08:29:52 pm »

Hi Abreese
        Yes i had a problem with the front hydroplanes on my gato, what i found it to be on mine was the drive belt when it went in one direction was rolling off the guides on the idle wheel so what i did was put 2 small pieces of poly carb sheet both sides of the idle wheel stuck to the gray plastic support where the gears are, after i had done that never had another problem it runs smoother and faster folding the hydroplanes up and down.

Fine on buying another sub i have had enough at the moment after building this Engel Gato, i don't know weather i will build another one after this. I have got so many things i won't to do but may be when i have had a break from building the Gato i might feel different.

All the best John

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2016, 08:36:39 pm »

HI Richard
      It did turn out quite well it was worth spending the extra time on it, was hoping to take it to bornville show but at the moment Pauline is not very well so don't know if i will be able to go.
                                  All the best John

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2016, 09:05:11 pm »

Oh heck mate...hope she soon feels better, give her my best wishes.
Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

abreese

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2016, 09:52:31 pm »

thanks john.
rebuilt it today it runs better,but till puts load on the drive,will give your idea a whirl,dont like the pong of a hot motor!.
cheers ab

abreese

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2016, 07:53:20 pm »

hi john.
got the gato wet (paddling pool) a couple of leaks to sort nothing major,but the bow plane still playing up,so out with the piston tank and the drive unit.
say out of 6 operations it would jam once.
have found the shaft which the worm is on that carries the plate for the micro switches the rear switch the end of travel of the shaft the shaft goes to far and hits the plastic end plate and will not set of on the return stroke,stripped it all down and re-adjusted the collar with the grub screw in,there is a flat on the bar or shaft this looks like its done the trick,just tried 20 ops and no jams a bit of fine tuning a bit annoying when the beggars in the boat. builders beware.
alan b

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2016, 10:38:31 pm »

HI Alan
       I must admit that i did play around with the micro switches for the end stops on the folding hydroplanes, other thing i should say is had problems with the micro switches on the back tank as well.      so watch out for that one it is the micro switch which travels down the thread this one had me thinking it was the control board that was at fault but of course it was not. Other thing that i found with the folding hydroplanes was that when you first switched the sub on the front hydroplanes would try to jam what i did was i made a solid state switch which was timed to stay off for about 4 seconds when the sub was first switched on, this solid state switched cuts the power to the main drive motor to the hydroplanes while the logic sorts it self out never had a problem since. Other thing i did was put universal cuplink on the shaft for the folding hydroplanes in the free flood area, i made my own stuffing boxes with seals and bearings did not like the idea of the seals on the Engel kit.

Have took my Gato out a few times now and it does work very well never had any leaks and pleased to say all the electronics work well should have done more of a build log than i did but i had to many electronic projects on the go, my bench at the moment is full of bits as i am working on a digital power pack
                          All the best John

abreese

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2016, 07:47:18 am »

:-)) fitted a coupling myself,will give it another set of tests today then replace it in boat,these micro-switches are a mass produced item so a few little rogues may get through?.
 but I think in my case it was travel adjustment.
thanks for reply alan b

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2016, 08:10:14 pm »

HI All
      Took the Engel Gato to the Alveston pirates regatta at Derby on Sunday it was very wet but  never the less still had a good day. Ian Richardson took so very good photos of the model boats and the sub some pictures can be found of the sub in the middle of page one and at the end of page two link to it can be found below

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fianrichardson68%2Fsets%2F72157669187439242&h=oAQEZxH4N

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2016, 10:21:31 pm »

abreese

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2016, 11:53:04 am »

:embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: just got to the ballast and trim stage,had a little disaster'''''''' the battery 6v-12ah sla moved and the actuator rod clipped it and wrecked the taes unit.the main reason for my post can you recommend any other batt than the bulky sla.the sla takes up so much room in an already tight area.also fitted clear acrylic tops so I can see it damage itself!.
cheers the ever cheerful alan b

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2016, 12:00:40 pm »

Lithium batteries are the answer 5-7 times the energy density of lead acid, so much more compact. 2S liFE batteries will give you 6.6 volts. Lipo will give a higher voltage at 7.4 volts.

I expect the TAES board is repairable.

abreese

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2016, 03:07:54 pm »

thanks for reply,i use lipo in a couple of my surface boats,will try lithium from what you say,as you may tell this is my first sub complete build up till this gato I have run and refurbed two old darnells sort of analogue! run my darnells on pack batts a little short on get up and go,so will have crack at the lithium.
with hindsight its my fault the sla moved in the hull,this learning curve getting steeper.
many thanks.
nb gbp strong at moment if taes a basket case.
alan b

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2016, 04:52:43 pm »

GBP strong? You mean weak don't you?

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2016, 05:31:25 pm »

Hi Alan
     Sorry to hear about problems with your Gato if you would like me to have a look at the board i might be able to sort it out, i have all so got a brand new TMAX board for my Gato which i did not use you can all ways send me a PM

But i do not like the idea about using lipo's in model submarines reason being they use alloy tags coming out of the cells and they tend to corrode with damp air in side of a submarine plus if fresh water comes in to contact with a split jacket on a cell in a lipo pack it will go up like a flair but if you was to put a split cell in to salt water it would neutralise it. I use NI-MH cells plus you can get them low down and use them as keel weight but that is just my thought on using liop's i know people do use them in subs but i would not like to take the chance.
                 All the best John

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2016, 05:34:30 pm »

HI Tim
          Thought the under water video came out really well with the lights on your Neptune thanks for posting video up will give you a ring later
            All the best John

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2016, 05:51:28 pm »

You can get lithium batteries in cell format, tougher than the sack type cells which are more popular owing to their lighter weight . The LiFE batteries I mentioned are more stable than Lipo.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2016, 09:11:08 am »

That old Gato looks pretty good, JR...very realistic under way.

How's Pauline, by the way...better now, I hope? Give her my best wishes..
Rich

abreese

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2016, 09:07:47 pm »

hello john.
will go with the ni-mh batts component shop do 9000mAh or5000mAh at 7.2v these should do the trick,just make up the weight diff when I finish ballast,its the static depth controller that got damaged not the tmax but I can live with that for now,took my darnell t-class to the lake to-day for some r and r.
cheers alan b :-))

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2016, 09:30:04 pm »

HI Rich
    Took it out on Sunday to Derby i am very pleased with the way it works the sub has been a testing ground for a lot of electronics, it's been out about 6 times now and all i do is just wash it down and put it on charge. Pauline said it has got to be the best sub you have made up to now it is so controlable it is unreal. Rob Fowler and a friend of his that was with him said they have never seen a sub work so well which was really nice of them to say, hopefully will take it to bournville sub dive in next time.

thanks for asking about Pauline she was ill for about 5 weeks but seems to be OK now thanks Pauline sends her best wishes to you
          All the best John

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2016, 09:49:13 pm »

HI Alan
     I use 4 packs of 7.2v ni-mh they are wired in parallel each pack is 4800mah it works out at 19amps have run the sub for 2.5 hours and the battries are only half empty so i can live with that and with the charger i have got i can charge them if need be in 1.5 hours but of course i don't need to do it but it is always nice to have the charger to do it with . And the idea of using that square lead acid battery its the wrong shape to put into a model sub with these threaded rods that get in the way like you have found out i don't mean it in a funny way that's why i got rid of that   idea in mine and don't like the idea of off set tanks to make the rods miss the battery but this is just my own thoughts

If it is your depth sensor i might be-able to fix it if you won't me to
                  All the best John

abreese

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2016, 11:26:29 pm »

hello john.
the sensor is in three parts,they have been pulled of the p.c.b do you think its a basket case ?
alan b

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2016, 07:23:29 pm »

HI Alan

There is a good chance i would probably be able to repair it, if you won't to send it to me let me know and i will send you a PM with name and address
      All the best John

abreese

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2016, 08:13:28 pm »

:-)) thank you will scrape up bits and pack it.
cheers ab
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.