The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Working Vessels

Vic Smeed Bustler Tug

(1/20) > >>

Willit:
Many years ago my father, uncle and grandfather commenced construction of a Bustler tug, however for somewhat obscure reasons it was never finished, we don't even know what became of the hull.  Sadly my grandfather recently died and knowing we had the plans I thought it would be nice to build a new one.  Apart from the use of modern glues and tools I am also trying to build it as close to Vic Smeed's instructions as possible. Unfortunately the plans were very moth eaten so I invested in a brand new sheet.

Here is where I am to date.  The hull is basically together, but it needs its stern tube and final filling and sandsealing.  The hull for those unfamiliar with Bustler is bread and butter construction on a keel.  The plans recommended 1/8 ply for the keel but the sheet I had was quite badly warped so I splashed out on some 1/8 spruce to ensure a reasonable chance of success  :-))  The deck is 1/8 ply and I was thankful for my electric fretsaw, cutting the deck out was no challenge at all.  Some filling is required around the deck edges where I failed to sand the top of the hull sides to quite the correct profile (doh).

Next bit of thought after the hulls tidied up will go to the bulwarks.

roycv:
Hi Willlit, Bustler was my second scrath built model, mine was built when the plans first came put and I was about 16 / 17.  I remember enjoying the build especially the tumble home bulwarks  my boat was all balsa so I was almost holding them together as the balsa cement hardened.  It was pre RC so was was just free sailing.
It went a few years later (I was in the RAF) with my sister who emigrated to Tasmania, quite touching really.

Look forward to seeing pictures of your build.

kind regards Roy

Willit:

--- Quote from: roycv on September 03, 2015, 09:32:05 pm ---Hi Willlit, Bustler was my second scrath built model, mine was built when the plans first came put and I was about 16 / 17.  I remember enjoying the build especially the tumble home bulwarks  my boat was all balsa so I was almost holding them together as the balsa cement hardened.  It was pre RC so was was just free sailing.
It went a few years later (I was in the RAF) with my sister who emigrated to Tasmania, quite touching really.

Look forward to seeing pictures of your build.

kind regards Roy

--- End quote ---

thanks Roy I am enjoying making it.  Do you remember how you did the bulwark around the stern?

roycv:
Hi Willlit, rather vaguely but I think I cut some wood to the vertical height of the bulwarks, placed it on the deck and cut lengths of 1/4 balsa to longer lengths a bit tapered and leaned them on the vertical height wood.

Thinking about it now I would use 1/4 wide wood. a  bit of trial and error taper the lengths towards the top and champhre the edges. to give a smoothe outer finish 

I would cut a piece of wood to a shape following the inner curve and top line of the bulwarks pin or clamp this to the stern deck.  Then use  1/4 inch wide slightly tapered lengths to lean on the jig you have clamped to the deck.  Start at the middle and work outwards to join the vertical side bulwarks. Use electricians sticky tape to hold the lot in place.  Do not worry about uneven lengths as you can sand down to the jig height when all is dry.  Then gently sand the outer part to a smooth  finish.  Fill where necessary.

Then remove the clamped on deck jig.

File the inner edges carefully to the same thickness when looking down on it and the fit a capping top with a slight over hang to the outside. 
Or if the top edge is satisfactory use a length of 1/16th. hard wood soak it and or steam it and bend it gently around the curve, any where will do and when dry glue and clamp it to the top outer edge and smoothe to shape,

I think that will work as the shape you have made is inherrently very strong.

Good luck,
Roy

Willit:
thanks Roy I'll give it a go, sounds like a fairly straightforward method  :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version