Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vic Smeed Bustler Tug  (Read 16192 times)

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Vic Smeed Bustler Tug
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2018, 10:31:19 AM »

the motor is in, and didn't put up too much of a fight. I'm a firm believer in making models easily maintainable, and I'm not a fan of screwing motors to wood as the wood can split or the threads go over time. So this motor is bolted to a bit of 3mm steel, drilled and tapped 6BA, so removing the motor is an easily repeatable exercise, not that I expect I will have to for a while yet! The plate is Devcon'd to the hull bottom on two wooden wedges. As well as supporting the motor it also acts as "working ballast" as it has brought the bow down a bit. And yes I did try it in the bath,
there is a little bit of vibration but I was running it on 9v off a PP3 so that might be why. I might clock the prop shaft with a dial gauge in a collet to see if its running true.

RST

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2018, 11:33:37 PM »

Absolutely superb work though I don't like the olive green colour!  Re screws in wood, I've had them in motor mounts for 20 years or more and  they've never shifted / failed from the occasional unscrew then back-in again.

Fantastic work anyway, very jealous.

Rich

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2018, 11:52:41 PM »

Absolutely superb work though I don't like the olive green colour!  Re screws in wood, I've had them in motor mounts for 20 years or more and  they've never shifted / failed from the occasional unscrew then back-in again.

Fantastic work anyway, very jealous.

Rich

aw shucks thanks Rich, I'm not that good, and it could definitely be better but I appreciate the kind words.  Yeeaaaah the brown (its actually brown in real life but the pictures don't recreate it well), I was a bit unhappy with it to start with but its grown on me. 

Its the steam loco mechanic in me I'm afraid  {-)

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2018, 07:35:44 PM »

Steering is in. The micro servo is mounted on a commercial bracket, mounted to a block of wood, Devcon'd to the hull. A bit of piano wire provides the push.  The tiller will be covered by a capstan and the wire by a coiled tow rope.

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2018, 10:02:05 PM »

I have fitted out the running gear, usual sort of thing, Mtroniks controller, my preferred Graupner HOTT RC system and a 7.2v pack velcro'd to the hull, some self adhesive steel weights counter balancing it.  The receiver has 6 channels so I shall fit a sound system like Joffre's and a switcher for the lights (watch this space!).

and yes it has had a go round the pond but the chop got up and my nerves couldn't hack it!  It does sail quite nicely though, and sits perfectly on the waterline with just a little weight needed in the bow.  I've allowed some leeway for when I fit the white-metal lifeboats.  I need to fix that switch in place, it doesn't normally foul the servo arm!

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2018, 05:14:23 PM »

well after the last ten minute test sailing (where it got far too rough for a small model) Shelley and I went to Tilgate lake in Crawley and gave Magrat 45 minutes of sailing time.  Aside from a slight rattle that seems to have developed (probably wants more lubrication) it sails very nicely though I am going to try to get a tighter turning circle as it is currently a little wider than I would like, its perfectly acceptable but not exactly steering competition winning!  Shelley had a go and declared it good.

I am going to try and get to the Mayhem weekend with it (hopefully a little more finished), and if I can manage it my Vic Smeed Guardsman.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2018, 05:26:14 PM »

Nice. I made a Bustler back in my teens, and I fitted a steering kort nozzle. Was up there with the best steering regatta boats.

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2018, 10:57:59 AM »

Nice. I made a Bustler back in my teens, and I fitted a steering kort nozzle. Was up there with the best steering regatta boats.

I remember reading a post where you mentioned that, was that the one that got sunk?  I did consider putting a kort on!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2018, 08:34:07 PM »

Yes that was it. Got pushed under by a bigger boat.

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2018, 07:14:34 AM »

Yes that was it. Got pushed under by a bigger boat.
aw that's a shame

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up