Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Propeller Help  (Read 2520 times)

Dayo1050

• Full Mayhemer
  • Spot on
Propeller Help
« on: September 10, 2015, 12:54:51 am »

Can any one  help me I will be putting a Mabuchi 555 dc motor into my Clyde puffer and a 3 blade propeller
But I don't now  which propeller to get is it a left hand one or is it a right hand one

Paul.  :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Propeller Help
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 01:37:56 am »

Paul.....I thought this would be easily answered with a Google search on 'Clyde Puffers'  %) .....however the answer is a little more complicated  O0

When you search the hundreds of images you will see both 3 blade right hand and 4 blade left hand propellors {-) .... Derek

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Clyde+puffer&rls=com.microsoft:en-AU:IE-ContextMenu&rlz=1I7NOOH_enAU530&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CB0QsARqFQoTCNel4tOb68cCFQcmpgodf1IIag
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 12:05:45 pm »

Usually I connect the positive wire from ESC to the tab on the motor that has a red spot. And fit a r/h prop

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 08:25:42 pm »

Hello Paul

With any single screw model I fit a left handed prop. You can do your best with lock nuts but very occasionally they can work loose and with a left hand prop you are doing it up when going forward and it may save you a nice brass prop.

Having said that I managed to leave one in the pool the other week trying to free myself from some weed. Had to get the rowing boat out in the end.

John

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 08:37:38 pm »

In the UK we look at the rotation from behind the vessel and the direction of the topmost blade.  It goes right for forward, right handed.  The continentals look from inside the boat.  If buying a prop originating on the continent, remember the difference.
Whichever, it is vital to fix it to the shaft properly.  Have a serious read about lock nuts and how to apply them so that they work and are not just an ornament, and a dab of Locktite helps enormously as well.  Many a prop that in theory winds itself tighter in normal forward use has unwound itself very rapidly as soon as reverse was applied.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 09:55:10 pm »

Always have fitted r/h props when a single prop is used.

After I have aligned the motor / coupling /shaft in the model.

I tighten the nut on the shaft up snug to the washer then screw the prop on up to the nut. Ease the prop back slightly and tighten the nut against the prop till I have a little nice tap tap .This is backlash proves the shaft is not binding. A few tries  maybe needed to get it spot on.

Tighten nut up to prop... not prop tightened up to nut.  This way its the nut that has done the locking up. Never lost a prop yet even in the days of fast high revving I.C engines and all r/h

Dayo1050

• Full Mayhemer
  • Spot on
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 10:05:55 pm »

Thanks for that Seaspray will try that  :-))

Paul

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 04:36:54 pm »

Dayo if it helps, I've just started my Northlight http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,52373.0.html

Dayo1050

• Full Mayhemer
  • Spot on
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 10:32:26 pm »

Hi Graham D
Very nice you will have to keep sending me pictures so I can see how you are get on

Dayo  :-)) :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.