Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just curiosity  (Read 2621 times)

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
  • Too young to know, too impatient to wait.
Just curiosity
« on: September 10, 2015, 04:07:22 am »

Howdy folks, whilst planning the Sanson Moran to be powered by electric power. I've recently been keen to build a boiler.....no idea why just want to. So my loose plan is a 4-5" long with a 3.5" diameter boiler made of copper and held together with silver solder since that seems to be a good bonding method on model boilers. Two fuels seems to give the longest run time, gas and coal, coal seems to rely on what type which will determine run time. I'm not willing to mess with an engine as of yet, a boiler seems to be like a fun side project while I add to my fleet. Ideas, criticism or just using this as a frustration outlet are welcome  :-))  Maybe coal will give a realistic black smoke?

Tex
Built-Carol Moran 1/72 (still tweaking)

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Just curiosity
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 06:46:29 pm »

From what I've read about miniature locomotives, I suspect that coal won't work. You can't build a model with a long enough funnel to give sufficient draft, so some sort of blower is needed. Another problem is that, from what I've read, a coal fire needs attention to the amount and shape of the fire - hard to do in an R/C boat.
Gas, OTOH, is an ideal fuel. No draft considerations - other than making sure the fire has a fresh air supply, and it's a 'fire and forget' sort of system. You're good to go once pressure is up, until the water or gas runs low.
I'm sure that some of our fellow Mayhemers can provide more in-depth advice.
Tom

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 07:28:31 pm »

Black smoke means poor combustion. Poor combustion means dirty tubes. Dirty tubes means inefficient boiler. Stick to gas; it's controllable, easy to store and clean burning.

BM

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
  • Too young to know, too impatient to wait.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 07:46:33 pm »

Great advice guys, looks like parts are readily available from UK sites, yall seem to cater to this hobby better than U.S. Companies! I'll upload a "blueprint" sometime tonight, since I'm not sure if I can roll copper to act as end caps to the boiler, does anyone kno if this whole process would be easier with a mill/lathe?

Tex
Built-Carol Moran 1/72 (still tweaking)

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 08:56:35 pm »

Hi Tex ,
Get yourself a copy of K.N. Harris's book MODEL BOILERS & BOILERMAKING , there is a wealth of information for the amateur boiler maker with designs for various boilers.
There is another of his books MODEL STATIONARY AND MARINE STEAM ENGINES which is a must for all steam enthusiests.
These books come up on e-bay very regularly so keep a check on the site.

Keep asking questions there are a lot of guys on this forum with a lot of experience.

George.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 10:11:51 pm »

You can - or could - find both the Harris books online for downloading at the bargain price of FREE! If you can't, let me know and I'll send you a copy of mine.

End caps can be made over hard wood formers with a lot of annealing and repeated light hammering.

Regards,
BM

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 08:24:53 pm »

Tex: Coal will work with a small 3in diam boiler if designed correctly.  It will not be easy to get the coals burning, and the steam won't last long. But it will be grimy and dirty and smell like a KC BBQ.  You may have to look at some RR design boiler especially like LBSC's for best heat capture. 

As far as making a copper boiler, you are right. It is FUN!  You get to use skills like metal working, brazing, and engineering/design.   

Here is a link to the most recent boiler I built. Runs great on gas and was easy to build. 3" diameter.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,44748.50.html

The boiler design starts on page 3, but the rest is good, too. I also have a few coal fired boilers. Never got them to fire just right, but fun trying.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.