G'day Albert Fans.
I've been a bit distracted over the last week or so, and therefore Albert has not been receiving the attention he deserves.
I have deviated away from the build by Phill, and have all the woodwork for the in hull structure done, and then decided to get on with the wheelhouse.
Everything slots together beautifully, and this applies to the main structure as well.
Biggest drama with the wheelhouse is that there are no 90 degree joints, and therefore every external joint needs bogging, along with all the slots and tabs.
The visor is a bit of a fiddle as mentioned in Phill's blog, but with a few rubber bands and small and large clamps it is achievable. I am using Aliphatic Resin adhesive and it doesn't have a quick grab and set, so the joints on the visor needed reinforcing with bog, and left overnight to harden off fully.
I have also decided to replace the planked door with a new one cut from 3mm ply ( for a steel effect finish ) and as I didn't like the porthole I am using a rectangular window, and will ask Phill nicely, to see if he can do me a nice laser cut frame to finish it off. This would be in keeping with the other frames supplied.
I'm also using some external hinges that I do in my business for 1/8th scale Landrover Defender rear doors, and this gives a 3D effect rather than the flat laser scribed Tee hinges on the supplied door.
One other little bitch is that I'm not a balsa lover, and the piece ( two pieces ) that is supplied for the funnel and needs to be shaped is not a big deal, but it's so soft and it dents so easily, and it's a pig to paint! Next time around I would be looking at a piece of PVC pipe or conduit at 38mm ( 1 1/2" ) OD that would be a better job and so much easier to paint. Half the pipe is not exactly what you need, but it would require a straight piece of roughly 5 - 6 mm down each side to finish the required section. This is not a criticsism of the kit, but just an observation by a modeller who dislikes Balsa!
I have also chopped the exhaust stack and raked it back to keep the rain out.
The lady who I'm doing this for prefers the new door treatment and the improved stack, so I'm heading in the right direction!
There's a lot more rubbing back and filling to do yet, but it's getting there.
Next step is the fitting out of the hull with the running gear. Still not totally convinced to go Brushless though. I know everybody raves about the Brushless motors, so I'll probably end up going that way, but the old stuff is what I'm familiar with!
More as it happens.