Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Albert the tug - Builders Blog  (Read 207805 times)

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Albert the tug - Builders Blog
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2015, 01:03:22 pm »

This spot here will not quite touch and will need to be pulled into place before gluing, as before I would run a bead of glue right around the underside of the deck.

Once this is thoroughly set you can trim off the pegs and their tab's then sand them flush.

just to give you an idea of how strongly it all locks together all the photo's you see of this prototype so far are before I have applied any glue at all!

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 01:11:54 pm »

Next step, the coaming for the wheelhouse to locate onto.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 01:15:50 pm »

The front of the coaming has slots that locate onto the front edge, the curve of the deck can make this a little tricky and a bit tight so angle it slightly as you slide it into place.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2015, 01:21:26 pm »

The side pieces can now be slotted into the front piece, because of the angle of the front piece it will be a tight fit, it will be under a bit of tension so just temporarily slide it down to the first tab just to hold it in place (see pencil)

Now slide the rear piece into place and bring the side pieces up and into their slots.

You can now run a bead of glue around the base of the coaming where it meets the deck and up the inside corners.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2015, 01:34:54 pm »

The plywood structure get's sat aside for the moment while we move onto the hull so now would be a great time to seal all the plywood parts you have assembled so far, once the hull has been prepared (next step) and the plywood structure gets dropped into place the underside of the base plate and other parts cannot be accessed again so seal them well now!

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2015, 12:10:32 pm »

It has just occured to me that I have glossed over what to do with the tops of the rear storage compartments, due to the fact that fibreglass hulls can vary a bit in wall thickness these are best left off until the base structure if fitted into the hull (they may or may not need a little trim) even though they are pictured earlier in construction they are only temporarily in place.

This is actually a good time to glue the engraved seat tops onto the cutout that locates back into the opening (that doesn't make alot of sense when you read it but the pictures should help.

So here I am holding the cut out part back in it's frame ready to glue the seat top (engraved panel pictured to the right)

So it looks like this :)

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2015, 12:14:27 pm »

Same with the rear compartment, this will sit in place by itself thanks to the two supports underneath.

Glue the larger seat top on and it should look like this.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2015, 12:31:51 pm »

Now it all gets exciting, we move onto the hull, as with most glass hulls it will need a wash to get rid of any traces of release agent that will stop your glue and your paint from sticking (followed by a thorough drying).
You need to be a little careful when driling out the holes as the white gel coating will want to chip especially where the rudder post exits, I find the best way to avoid chipping is to drill a pilot hole first with a 1.5mm hole  and work up to the desired size with increasingly larger bits (must be super sharp).
Albert does not come with a propeller shaft so measure the diameter of yours and drill out to suit, also drill out the 5.5m hole for the rudder tube and the 4mm holes for the keel bolts.

You can just see I got a little excited when I drilled the hole on the right for the keelbolt and chipped the gel coat, this is not a problem here as it gets covered by the skeg.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2015, 12:38:20 pm »

Now is a good time to test fit your skeg, just to make sure the bolt holes line up and that it locates nicely onto the keel.
It should be a firm fit onto the keel, I find the best way is to slide it on from the stern, the hull pictured had a small build up of gel coat that needed to be ground away with my Dremel I have highlighted  this area with black marker pen (once again you may not need to o this)

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2015, 12:44:03 pm »

Ok, locate the rudder tube.

and test the fit, when finished it will slide in flush with the outside of the hull but just check the fit for now, it needs to slide in nicely with no slop, once your happy with the fit drop it back out again.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2015, 12:54:58 pm »

Next step is to drop the plywood insert into the hull, you may need to pull the sides of the hull apart a tad but I find firmly sliding the structure in from the bow works well.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2015, 01:52:46 pm »

It should drop in something like this.

Clicking on the picture should take you to a video...........hopefully
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2BXe_XzQVc&feature=youtu.be

notice how the hole in the servo mount needs to locate directly over the hole in the hull, in the video the servo mount is not glued together yet but by now yours should be, once in place the rudder tube slides up from under the hull and through both the hole in the base-plate and the hole in the servo mount.

Isaac Asimov

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2015, 10:02:57 am »

Smooth installation.
Pond weed is your enemy

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2015, 12:29:45 pm »

Glad you liked it  :-))

Phill
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2015, 09:20:02 am »

Next step is to glue around the base of the rudder tube from the inside but before that you need to bolt the skeg into place with the rudder in, that way it simply has to line up as the length of the skeg dictates the position of the base of the rudder.

Even though the shaft is shown in place I only had it sitting there temporarily as you need to access the bolts for the skeg before fitting the shaft, when the shaft finally gets fitted it slides into place from inside.

Once the skeg, rudder and it's tube are in place you pour in some epoxy around the tube from the inside, I have left slots around this part to run the epoxy into.

You can just see the white epoxy poured through the slots.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2015, 09:24:19 am »

While the epoxy is drying just check to make sure these tabs are touching the bottom of the hull, I gave them a dab of CA glue to hold them onto the bottom of the hull.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2015, 09:31:14 am »

Once the epoxy around the ruddder shaft dries you can fit your propellor tube, please remember that Albert does not come with a prop shaft, the one I used has a tube length of 200mm and I ran it past the outside of the hull by 10mm, notice how once you poke it out through the hole the inside end lifts up to and just touches the baseplate to give the correct angle, you can now pour epoxy around the inside of the shaft to fix it in.
Isaac Asimov

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2015, 10:29:10 am »

I wondered why you had designed the rudder post support surrounded by those cutouts and now it makes elegant sense, intergral support/access holes for pouring resin! Bloomin genius that is :-))

Pond weed is your enemy

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2015, 11:31:33 am »

So it's all making sense then, that's good to know  :-))

Phill
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2015, 12:39:13 pm »

Now that's all done it's time to seal the front deck, I'm sure everyone has their preferred methods of doing this but I will explain the way I like to do it, as it's wood to fibreglass once again I use epoxy but I mix it with talcum powder until it's like peanut butter.

Then push it nicely into the gap, I get it roughly into place then smooth it out with a wet finger, smooth it now because once it set's it's a pain to sand.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2015, 12:46:25 pm »

If you haven't already you can now drop in the top frames for the aft compartments, these don't necessarily need to be sealed to he hull, it's personal choice however I had some spare epoxy left over so decided to do mine.

Frames dropped into place and glued.

I made a bit of a mess of sealing to the hull but once the seat tops are on no one will see.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2015, 01:08:21 pm »

It's a little late in the process for this photo of the shaft I used but I'm sure we all read all of the instructions before starting, the rod is way over length and will be shortened when I decide on a motor.

and no, you don't get one of those little disc thingies with the prop size written on it, that was just for working out what would fit nicely.

And while I'm at it here's the rudder tube (included)
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2015, 01:25:54 pm »

It's about now that I would fill any gaps in the  fore deck and generally get it ready for painting as it makes it just that bit harder once the cap rail is on.

The next logical step is the cap rail.

I personally glue this on with CA as it is a flat surface to another flat surface, it pays to give the flat on the hull a light sand with some 240 grit and a sanding block taking care not to turn the flat into a curve.

Once this is done you need to find the centre at the stern, to do this take your favourite straight edge or ruler and put one end at the point where the steering wheel locates (right in the centre) mark the centre of the rear coaming and line the two up with your ruler.

Then mark a line where the ruler falls.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2015, 01:35:16 pm »

The caprail is a little tricky but I have cut it over length so you have a little bit of play, I started by running a bead of CA from the stern to the centre of the hull or middle bulkhead (where my thumb is) line up the centre of the caprail join on the stern, it should be half over the back and half over the front.

Then run it around halfway around the hull (where my thumb is) but here it must be flush with the inside of the hull.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2015, 01:41:04 pm »

I then continued with the bead of glue up to the bow, the caprail does tend to pull out to the side of the hull as it curves up and you do need to apply some pressure to bring it back in, keep in mind that is should be flush with the inside of the hull all the way up to the bow.
The photo shows one perfectly in place and the other pulling away from the hull ready to be glued and pulled back into place.
Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.