Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Albert the tug - Builders Blog  (Read 207777 times)

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Albert the tug - Builders Blog
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2015, 03:54:07 pm »

Ian,

Greetings.

Where did You get those nifty 3-D "1/8th scale Landrover Defender Rear Door" hinges??

Thank You.
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2015, 04:36:22 pm »

I've also have a Albert on its way to Southern California ,  :-)

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2015, 10:56:30 pm »

G'day Ron,

I'll try and get an image of the door done later today, but I simply traced the existing planked door on to a piece of 3mm ply, then picked a size that looked about right for the window and cut it out.
Like I said, I didn't like the plank effect or the porthole, so decided to change it.

I'm sure the box will survive the trip with no problems, but I guess that under the right circumstances it could get crushed like a brown paper bag!!! That's why we pay insurance!

Tug Hercules fireman,

I make the hinges as part of my product range for the 1/8 Landrover Defender bodies which I don't make. A mate of mine did the patternwork, as he built two Defenders, and the hinges that come with the body are garbage and nothing like the real thing. For the Landy they come as a set of two short hinges and one long hinge, but if Albert groupies want them, I can set them up as a set of 5 short hinges to do both the door ( either type ) and the forward hatch. If there's enough interest I could be open to supplying them.
I also do the bonnet hinges for the landy as well, but haven't yet tried it for the forward hatch. Will look at that and get back to you.

Mark W,

You far away guys won't be disappointed in the contents of the boxes when they arrive. This is a neat bit of kit!

Ian.

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2015, 08:28:59 am »

Hopefully, images of my new door, and the new Hatch hinge, along with the door hinge used on the hatch.
Both types work, but the Door hinge is not paired left and right, so if used on the hatch. they will be two of a kind. Hope this makes sense!

Ian.

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2015, 09:36:13 am »

Forgot to mention in my previous post, that if the Land Rover hinges are used like I am doing with my new door, that 3mm packer blocks need to be fitted under the hinge where it is to contact the body wall. As used on the Land Rover, the door is flush with the body of the vehicle, so the hinge plates are on the same plane.
If you were using these hinges on the as supplied planked door, they fit flush with no mods required, as the door frame is scribed as part of the door.

Ian.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2015, 03:40:18 pm »

Looks great Ian
The hatch hinges would not look
right if they were not paired , but
not a problem on a door.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

DaveB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2015, 07:47:09 am »

Can anyone tell me where to get a kit and how much please.
Dave B

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2015, 08:44:00 am »

G'day Dave,

Get in touch with Phill ( Mermod ) on his PM and he'll sort one for you.

Current price is AU$450.00 plus freight, and although that might seem a bit expensive to some, it leaves a lot of the better known kits for dead in quality and simplicity in building.

The main part of mine ( in-hull structure ) took less than an hour to assemble, then a bit longer to run glue around all joints.

I've been a bit distracted with work and other issues the last week or thereabouts, so haven't been able to put much time in, but did get the window frames glued on.

My thought's on the window frames, which I have passed on to Phill, is that I think they would look better in 1.5mm rather than the thicker, as supplied 3mm. I'll try and get an image up tomorrow.

Also, for those interested in the hinges for the door and hatch, they are just about ready to go under rubber, so if you are interested, drop me a PM and I'll give you more info.

Ian.

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2015, 08:32:49 pm »

Dave B I have sent you a PM  ;)

Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2015, 06:51:28 am »

Hello all, I will finish this build log shortly, I'm not big on excuses but my mother in-law has been having a nasty cancer removed and some skin grafting done so my spare time has been spent travelling to and from hospital and sorting out family but I will be back at Albert soon, anyone waiting on kits, they are all packed and will be going out tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience

Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

Ron Knepp

• Shipmate
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2015, 11:56:00 am »

Hi Phill
I am sorry to read about your family problems. Getting old comes with lots of problems, I should know.
Will you be providing tracking numbers with the kits?  Ten thousand miles provide a lot of places to get lost.
Ron Knepp

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2015, 02:38:20 pm »

Hi Phill
I am sorry to read about your family problems. Getting old comes with lots of problems, I should know.
Will you be providing tracking numbers with the kits?  Ten thousand miles provide a lot of places to get lost.
Ron Knepp

Ron,

I received an Albert kit from Phil; Got here (California) in perfect condition, very well packed. Phil sent me a tracking number as soon as he posted it with the shipping company. It was delivered in about 8 days  :-) .

Mark

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2015, 02:54:36 pm »

Likewise for my deliver to Western Canada; Phillip provided the tracking number and it arrived in about ten days.

The quality of the kit is excellent; the hull is excellent; the quality of the wood and the lazer cuts is superb.

I have dry-assembled it and am very impressed.

Can't wait to get the drive train in and painted.

Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2015, 05:16:42 am »

Sorry guys, I have been away from the computer for a few days, Ron I have now sent you a PM with your tracking details, I hope your Albert arrives safely :)

Phill
Isaac Asimov

Tim B.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2015, 12:46:23 pm »

:-))...................

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2015, 08:53:20 pm »

Just a quick note to say that Albert made the short trip across the Tasman Sea and arrived safely.  :-)) :-)) Unfortunately the wife was home when it arrived  >>:-( >>:-( so some quick thinking was required.   %)
"Water is best tasted chilled and flavoured with hops"
KiwiCachers

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2015, 08:58:35 pm »

Just a quick note to say that Albert made the short trip across the Tasman Sea and arrived safely.  :-)) :-)) Unfortunately the wife was home when it arrived  >>:-( >>:-( so some quick thinking was required.   %)

My favorite line is "It's not mine, I'm building it for someone"  O0 .

Mark

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2015, 10:27:56 pm »

Just a quick note to say that Albert made the short trip across the Tasman Sea and arrived safely.  :-)) :-))

Unfortunately the wife was home when it arrived  >>:-( >>:-( so some quick thinking was required.   %)

Oh dear, any idea when will you be allowed back in the house?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2015, 10:50:10 am »

Well, I'm a bit P'd off, as I finally get around to trying to post some progress on Albert, and the site crashes in the middle of it!
It was quite a lengthy update with images, but all gone!

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.
Ian.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2015, 08:58:24 pm »

Oh pooh. That is a bloomin nuisance. I hope your second attempt goes better.
Pond weed is your enemy

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2015, 09:09:14 pm »

Well, I'm a bit P'd off, as I finally get around to trying to post some progress on Albert, and the site crashes in the middle of it!
It was quite a lengthy update with images, but all gone!

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.
Ian.

These things do happen when technology is involved. The best thing to do is contact Martin (I used Facebook) and he will normally respond pretty quickly. Took 9 min from when I posted for the forums to be back up and running. Can't ask for better service than that in my view.
KiwiCachers

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2015, 11:11:17 pm »

Oh dear, any idea when will you be allowed back in the house?

I may have to buy some shoes.
KiwiCachers

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2015, 04:24:35 am »

Well here we go again! Hope it works better than yesterday, but doing this from another puter, so don't know whether I'll be able to attach the images that I've sent to myself.

Finally cleared my order pile and was able to get back to Albert.

I found that when I fitted the urethane skeg to the fibreglass moulded skeg, it was far too tight, and having worked with urethane for an awful lot of years, chose to make it a slide fit.
If the urethane cast skeg had been a heavy interference fit, there would be a chance of it splitting in time, particularly in winter when everything has a habit of shrinking and turning brittle!
Anyway, spent a lot of time filing away lots of gelcoat until I had a nice light interference fit, then i found that the hole in the skeg for the rudder was too far back, so I ground about 1mm off the front edge on the linisher and now the rudder lines up perfectly. This also meant that by sliding the skeg forward, I had to remove more gelcoat from the back of the fibreglass skeg, as the pocket in the urethane skeg wasn't long enough after the removal of the mm or thereabouts. After talking to Phill about this thickening of the gelcoat, he suspects that the fibreglass moulder was not tightening the mould enough, allowing it to thicken in that area.
Another minor problem was that the round flange on the skeg where the rudder post hole is, needed to have a bit removed and thinned down a tad, as when it was all fitted up, the rudder was jamming and not swinging freely. I also deepened the hole in the skeg a little as well, and this helped to free things up. It now lines up perfectly and after the rudder is finally installed and the shaft greased, there should be little or no load on the servo.
In the interim since my failed attempt at this post yesterday, I have since applied two coats of sealer to the in hull structure, so now it starts to get serious!
Once this bit is in the hull and bogged in, there is no going back, so we have to make sure we get it right first time around!

More as it happens.

Ian.

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2015, 06:50:03 am »

Ian,

Greetings.

Looking good.

What size prop did You use?

Could you post an overhead photo looking into the hull, so I can see where your shaft and stuffing tube ended up?

Thank You.

Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2015, 07:57:02 am »

Looking good Ian, would you like to post the brand and part number of the prop you used for future reference?

Phill
Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.