Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Albert the tug - Builders Blog  (Read 207787 times)

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Albert the tug - Builders Blog
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2015, 08:29:55 am »

G'day Rick,

I used a Raboesch 50mm x 4 blade prop, as that's about as big as you can fit, even though I would have liked a much bigger prop with fewer revs. If you could find a 52mm prop that would be the absolute biggest you could fit.

The tube is just floating at the moment and will probably need to be shortened from the 200mm current length. I'll try and get back to it tomorrow. I'm still struggling with Brushed or Brushless?

Ian.

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2015, 08:44:56 am »

In response to Phill's request for more info on the prop, it's as follows.

Raboesch part No. 174-10  4B1-50-L-M4  This was originally part No.174-09 which was a RH ( european, from the front ) rotation, but has now been changed to what we non Europeans have always understood!
I originally wanted RH Rotation, but they were out of stock, so I just accepted the LH.

Ian.

Ron Knepp

• Shipmate
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2015, 01:50:47 pm »

I am not sure if this a good deal or not but I just ordered this propeller on Ebay for $21.99 USD
with free shipping from China. This is the link to Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121420407896?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
Ron Knepp

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2015, 08:38:39 pm »

Looks like a good deal to me, as I bought mine locally and paid a lot more than that for it, plus postage!

Ian.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2015, 09:22:09 pm »

Interesting....the Trade name branded product is top class.......package says made in the Netherlands, however being shipped from Taiwan  {-)........however I am not necessarily suggesting that made in Asia these days has any quality associated issue

Marketing as we know can be funny at times........[Coles in Australia sell sustainably farmed, frozen beer battered white fish fillets as a product sourced from New Zealand waters, processed and packaged in China, then returned to OZ to eat O0......& they taste YUMMY]  Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2015, 04:21:53 am »

Had a friend years ago who I worked with for many years, then she left the company and went to Iceland to work in a fish processing plant while working her way around the world.

She told me that when the fish were processed for fish fingers, all the worms in the fish got processed as well.

Same thing happens with Tomato sauce! Grubs and all! As long as you don't see the eyes it's not so bad!

Haven't eaten fish fingers for many years and probably never will!

Ian.

Ron Knepp

• Shipmate
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2015, 12:41:29 am »

Hi Phill,
My kit arrived today in fantastic condition, it looks like it will be lots of fun.
I have done a lot of model railroading but have never mounted a motor in a model boat.
If anyone has ideas or photos please share.

Ron Knepp

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2015, 01:51:09 am »

That's excellent news Ron  :-))  I have some bits arriving for my Albert soon and will show how I put the motor in mine, anyone else more advanced might like to show theirs.

Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2015, 04:38:19 am »

Blowing a gale here today, so no outdoorsy stuff.

Got back on to Albert and shortened the stuffing box tube to 7 inches and fitted the skeg, and then epoxied the skeg bolts/nuts and the stuffing box in place. I have allowed around 3/8th/10mm of tube through the skeg, and this puts the prop in about the ideal position.
One thing to watch here is, that it's easy to set the front of the shaft angle a tad too high, and this then results in the plywood frame fouling the tube by a little. Easy to fix! Cut away the offending ply and replace with a bridge piece out of 5mm timber which I'll also epoxy the tube to, when I get some more Araldite! I filed a groove in this piece to snugly fit over the stuffing box, then I'll apply some epoxy which will also stiffen the front of the stuffing box. Another plus for this extra bridging piece is that it will help hold the 6V battery in place.
Not a fantastic image, but you can see where the new piece is sitting over the tube.

Another item here, and I'm not sure whether Phill mentioned it in his build, are the two side box top frames. If these are fitted before the whole body is fitted into the hull, it won't fit. Well it wouldn't on mine, so I took them off , cleaned all the glue off and put them aside until the final fit.

That's about it for today, as no epoxy, no progress!

Ian.

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2015, 04:41:15 am »

And before anybody comments on the wonky angle on the bridging piece, it's only held by gravity in the image, so when it finally gets glued, I would hope I get it right!

Ron Knepp

• Shipmate
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2015, 12:53:42 pm »

Thanks for the updates Ian, I am right behind you. What did you use to coat the assembly before
final installation in the hull??
Ron Knepp

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2015, 05:30:10 pm »

G'day Ron,

I had plenty of a clear furniture sealant called Estapol on hand, so rather than go out and buy something like Everdure which is a better sealant for the full sized boats, I just used up what I had. If the model was to be in the elements full time, then you would consider something like Everdure.

Ian.

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2015, 06:26:08 am »

Finally made the decision to go Brushless and fitted the motor today after a bit of fiddling to get the motor mount at the right angle.
Decided to go with a rigid coupling which I turned up and drilled and tapped for the two grub screws. If I got this bit right it should run nice and quietly with little or no vibration.

I used a Turnigy D2836/11 750kv outrunner from Hobbyking Aust, which should give heaps of power with not too many revs. That should give a maximum of 4500 rpm at 6V or 5400 rpm at 7.2v.
These motors are just so small compared to the old style we have used for years

Just have to sort the wiring, fit the steering servo, program the speed control which I'm not looking forward to, and then get a coat of paint started.

Ian.

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2015, 09:10:51 am »

G'day all who are interested.
A bit more progress with the front  Filled inside the bulwarks using car filler which actually went way better than expected. It's pretty easy to sand the filler back as it's easily accessible.

Then I fitted the Cap Rail. This bit is a bit more challenging, as the fibreglass hull varies a little in thickness and is not totally symetrical. Well mine's not! Anyway, managed to get it done after finding the starboard side cap rail was a bit too close to the wheelhouse, so carefully cut it partially away with a Stanley Knife, and re-aligned it with the Wheelhouse in place, and was able to get it exactly the same distance both sides. 

Also have the rudder servo in and working, so all is almost good! Still having issues with the Brushless motor! Full throttle forward is 100%, but can only get about 10% astern. Have tried re-programming the esc many times , but always the same result. Might have to get a Programming Card, but never had these problems with the old brushed motors!
And this motor is a screamer! Wish now that I had gone with brushed which are nice and quiet if you use the right one.

Just a note here on the choice of servo for this build. I used a JR NES 505 which is a big tall servo, and only because I have a bunch of them in stock, but they are a bit big for Albert and a bit of a fiddle to fit! A smaller Futaba or similar will be an easier fit. It's not like you need a lot of power for this job.

So, today I got the hull primed and ready for paint. Can of Black auto enamel had gone off with age, so off to the local smash repairer tomorrow to try and borrow a can of black. Black is not a colour I normally use, and don't want to use rattle cans, so will try and get a sample rather than buy a large quantity that won't get used ( much ).

Just an aside here for anybody just starting their build.
When you put your back wall on the wheelhouse, make sure you have the round porthole on the starboard side, coz that's where your door has to go!

Ian.

Ron Knepp

• Shipmate
« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2015, 01:37:45 pm »

Thanks for the update Ian. I am nearly finished with the wooden part of the kit. It is the best engineered
kit I have built. I took a couple days off after ODing on super glues fumes. I should have known better since
I had done this a coupled days ago. I am going to try to put the motor under the foredeck since I would like
to detail the inside of the cabin. My son says I should have Popeye as the captain. I am waiting for  propeller
before starting on the fiberglass.

Keep the updates coming.
Ron Knepp

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2015, 06:02:05 am »

Just in case you thought I had gone for good, I'm back!

I had been waiting for some parts to allow me to get on with the build, but as they hadn't turned up as expected, I got on and made my own bits, as he had been sitting idle for too long.

Almost complete except for some paint and the glazing needs fitting as well, but not too far off now.

Ian.

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2015, 06:23:50 am »

While I was waiting for Albert to arrive way back in the beginning, I was keen to get on with doing something to fill some spare time I had, so I cut up some packing case material, some old plywood I had lying about and got started on Derrick!

This little boat is not a Springer, but a Dredge Tender built from a plan I downloaded off the web. It's only 20 inches by 8 1/4 inches, so 2 inches longer than a Springer.
It runs a 50mm prop ( same as Albert ) powered by a brushed car aerial motor. Hasn't been wet yet, but if the motor is a bit slow, I'll change it for a 540 type motor out of a RC Car. A mate re-powered a bunch of  his cars, so I ended up with 4 motors that he didn't want. These are the same body diameter as the aerial motor, so it'll be a simple change-over should it be necessary.
This model is at about the same stage as Albert, just needing some handrails fitted, mast and nav light boxes, along with the window glazing.
The 5 single bollards are cast urethane off a master I made, and the towing bit is 1/2 inch copper pipe with a 1/4 inch brass bar between.
It's amazing how much time a simple model like this can consume, but its been fun!

Ian.

Ron Knepp

• Shipmate
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2015, 01:32:56 pm »

Thanks for the update Ian.
I have been stalled waiting for the driveshaft that is in a distrbution center a couple hundred miles north.
A couple years ago our postal system was improved and has been screwed up since. I ordered a special photo order from a producer about 75 miles east that was shipped to a distribution center 50 miles west and lost. The Post Office would not look for it for 30 days.
The one part of the kit that I did not like was the exhaust stack casing. I used a piece of  1 1/4 plastic pipe that I milled  to fit. The balsa strip supplied did not suit me.
I am not pleased with the hinges yet either. I did not find any brass hinges that suited me. I drilled out the screw indents and replace then with screw heads but don't like the effect.
Ron Knepp

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2016, 08:01:55 am »

Thought it about time to give an update on where Albert is current at!
Basically he's finished and waiting to be wet, except for sourcing a suitable rope type bow fender, as I don't think tyres would look the part on this boat.
He was to be trialled this morning, but after charging the Tx batteries last night and re-fitting them this morning, Tx was dead! Didn't have the time to find the problem, as I was on my way out, so when I got back, checked each individual battery on the multimeter which showed they were all good, put them back in the Tx and it worked perfectly! Looks like he'll be getting his first dunking in the frogpond here tomorrow!

Fitting the glazing, I found that after painting, the window openings had shrunk, so a bit of individual fitting was needed for each window panel. Tedious but necessary! I used the sanding disc on my linisher which takes the excess off in quick time! I then used an Acrylic Contact Adhesive, which dries clear, and actually applied this to the back edges of the glazing after putting them in place, and allowed it to run into the frame. I removed the front protective film before fitting the panels, but left the rear film on to minimise the glue getting on the window face. A very small amount of glue did run through and become visible of the window face ( on the outside ), but was not enough to be a problem. I weighted each panel with lead blocks to hold it in place while the glue went off, so the whole job was a bit slow, as you can only do one side at a time. Note here, that you don't need to flood the joint with glue, but just each corner should be enough. If you need it waterproof you will need to seal them all round, but it doesn't rain much where I live so it won't be a problem!

I'm still undecided on the Brushless motor, but will give it a run and see how it goes. With the wheelhouse in place it's not as noisy as when it's open. Hopefully the water will help absorb some of the noise as well.

Anyway, that's about it for now, except for the Fender, so for now I'll get back to Derrick!

Ian.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2016, 10:44:41 am »

Lovely job Ian!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

inertia

« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2016, 11:00:24 am »

Just have to sort the wiring, fit the steering servo, program the speed control which I'm not looking forward to, and then get a coat of paint started.
Ian.
Ian
I use very similar Turnigy motors and ESCs and I bought a program card after reading about trying to set them up without one. Best fiver I ever spent.
Dave M

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2016, 11:20:24 am »

Thanks for the positive comment Martin, but it's not my best paint job. Used a rattle can for the mustard colour and you don't get the best control like you can with an airbrush. I only went rattle can because that was the easiest way to get the colour I wanted.

Dave M,
Thanks for the info on the programming, and I have a friend up here who has the required card, so when he's back from hols I'll get him to tweak it.
It's going OK, but reverse still only gives me about 20% of what I get in forward. It's a car controller, so that may have some bearing on the problem. I have re-programmed by the button method a number of times, but still get the same result. It still functions OK for general running, but I'd like more power in reverse for serious stopping if required.

Ian.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2016, 09:56:50 pm »

Lovely job Ian.

The model is a very attractive design and you have done it justice. I would not worry abothe finish too much as it represents a working boat which may not be completly re-painted again during its life but touched up as and when needed to keep things fit for duty.
Pond weed is your enemy

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2016, 11:12:14 pm »

G'day ballastanksian.

Thanks for your positive comments, as this is for my lady who thought he was so cute when Phill first put up his post.

Normally on a scale model I would finish it in a matt or semi gloss, but on this one I think the gloss looks OK. My lady is happy with it, so that's all that really matters!

I use Quick Dry Industrial Enamels for most of my work, whether it be models, tractors or trucks, as I find it gives a good finish straight off the gun or airbrush.

I leave the two pack for the professionals, and as the original two pack was highly dangerous unless applied in an approved booth with an airwash mask and independent air supply, you really are dicing with an early end to your hobby. Same goes for the two pack polyurethane resins that are being used quite widely now in model making. If it has Isocyanates it's extremely dangerous, as there is no cartridge type respirator that will filter these nasties out of what you breathe. If you are curious as to how I know this, I'm a professional model manufacturer and use polyurethane, and have been through the drama of having to install fume extraction systems in my work area to make it safe!

Ian.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2016, 11:25:42 pm »

I am glad I do not use PU regularly Ian.

I am pleased to see there are a growing collection of wives and 'Uvver arves' taking an interest in the hobby. You and Norman both now have suitably equipped spouses :-))

TTFN, from Ian:O)
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.