Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe Futaba F14 Navy 2.4Ghz Conversion  (Read 12323 times)

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
Robbe Futaba F14 Navy 2.4Ghz Conversion
« on: September 13, 2015, 07:37:03 pm »

After recently purchasing a Robbe F14 Navy from a friend of mine, I wanted to do a dual analog / digital conversion, as I sail both boats and a submarine. Along with the radio came a Corona DIY conversion kit, which my friend had intended to install, but never got around to, the following is how I carried out my conversion, for anyone who wishes to do the same in the future.
The first photo, "F14 Navy Digital Conversion - Insides" shows the right hand side of the circuit board, this is the analog radio section, it is connected to the left hand side with four wire links, the first of which is a negative connection, this is a silver wire, at the front edge of the board, just to the left of the two capacitors, there is an identical one at the very back of the board as well. For this install I connected the digital module ground, (Brown wire) to the negative of the unused trainer socket, this is the brown wire connected to the board, just to the right of the word, "Train".
The second wire link in from the front edge of the board, which has been replaced with two yellow wires in the photo, is the PPM signal line, information travels from the left side of the board, to the right side to be transmitted, so the left hand of the two yellow wires in the photo, goes to the centre terminal of the DPDT selector switch.
The third wire link in from the front edge of the board, which has been replaced by two red wires in the photos, is battery power feeding the radio circuit, disrupting this feed and the signal ensures that the analog side is completely isolated when you are in digital mode.
So, with the left hand pair of signal and battery power wires connected to the centre terminals of a sub miniature DPDT switch, a pair of yellow and red ran back to the analog board and another pair, from the opposite side of the switch, are connected to the Corona unit.
Now, with both analog and digital receivers setup on the bench, with power and a servo, switching on the TX will, all being well, will drive one RX only, flicking the change over switch will then give control of the other RX, with no response from the other.

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
Re: Robbe Futaba F14 Navy 2.4Ghz Conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 09:25:58 pm »

Hi IKB

Our club radio guru fitted the Corona system to my F14, works brilliantly, you will be pleased with the performance, also the price of the recievers

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 09:32:10 pm »

Hi Mark,

Yes, I tested it yesterday and was very pleased with the results and with an 8 channel receiver on Hobby King only £10.39, it's a no brainer really

Alex

PeachyPM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 10:31:22 am »

Great Job Alex, I'm glad she's got a new and useful life ahead of her :-)) :-)) :-))
"Bismarck must be sunk at all costs ... even if it ... means towing King George V"

petesubman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 07:07:36 pm »

Thanks  Tim, theres a robbe navy being sold as a  part of job lot on ebay

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 08:01:22 pm »

Got a link pete?

petesubman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 08:27:18 pm »

ebay radio control boat  collection,  tom

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 08:57:53 pm »

Hi Pete,
No problem ,

Also A model world list them on their website

I wish I still had mine {:-{

Tim

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 09:31:15 pm »

Might be getting rid of one of your intrested

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 10:51:48 pm »

Hi TomHugill

I'm just keeping an eye out if one comes up at the right price  , although they do seem to be in short supply an the add on's are even harder to find ...

spud

gaji

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 04:09:01 pm »

Hi. IKB
 About 2 years or less ago I purchased 2 off Robbe (Futaba) F14 Navy versions both fitted with the switch module top left a single 3 position top left. I have now 2 of the subs that they were bought for. I have 1 sub left to use 1 on and seeing your article would mean I could use it for the sub and my other bots.
The main questions are you say it work good but does it operate all the other switches when operating in the 2.4 mode.
You state that an 8 channel Rx can be purchased from HobbyKing but I could not see the Tx module on their site. is there anywhere else it can be purchased from?
Thanks George

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 06:05:34 pm »

Hi George,

This is the set that I used in the conversion: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9770__Corona_2_4Ghz_DIY_Module_RX_DSSS_.html

I have just been out to the shed and done a quick test with a decoder unit in digital mode and the answer appears to be yes, although my testing was far from thorough, it does appear to work.

Alex

gaji

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 10:25:22 am »

Hi. Alex
 Thank you for that information much appreciated. Is it possible that you can help me further? In the past I have only purchased from the UK site of Hobbyking but this item is only available from their global site. As they list about 8 postage rates does any one know (from experience know the best to use?).
Also do you get additional charges for V.A.T. and/or import charges?
Any help will be much appreciated as ordering from H.K. as this will be a new experience and just want it to go trouble free as much possible.
 Regards George

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 10:39:14 am »

Hi George,

Sorry, I have not ordered from Hobby King before, so can not be of much help, the Corona system I used came with the radio when I bought it off a mate of mine.

Alex

PeachyPM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 07:20:06 pm »

Hi. Alex
 Thank you for that information much appreciated. Is it possible that you can help me further? In the past I have only purchased from the UK site of Hobbyking but this item is only available from their global site. As they list about 8 postage rates does any one know (from experience know the best to use?).
Also do you get additional charges for V.A.T. and/or import charges?
Any help will be much appreciated as ordering from H.K. as this will be a new experience and just want it to go trouble free as much possible.
 Regards George
Hi gaji, I bought the Corona system before selling it on to Alex & yes it came from HK's global warehouse (Hong Kong) I cant remember the postage costs but it was delivered with no fuss & no extra charges. Sorry for the very late reply...I've been busy building...
"Bismarck must be sunk at all costs ... even if it ... means towing King George V"

gaji

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 07:41:26 pm »

Hi thanks for the information I have ordered and received one which I had it installed by an electronic engineer to make sure it was installed correctly, unfortunately I did not work the lights on the small unit did not light up.                                                                                                                               At the present the only thing I think it is suitable for is to fill an empty void in the dustbin. If any one can suggest any way this may made to work it would be much appreciated.
George

PeachyPM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 07:44:35 pm »

Hang on in there George, when Alex sees this reply I'm sure he'll have some ideas...he's very clever at this sort of stuff even if he cant be bothered to paint the hull of his beautiful Smit!

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 09:41:25 pm »

Hi George,

Try taking the brown and red cable from the Corona unit and connecting them to a power supply, (red to positive) the unit will work on anything between 8-13v DC, if no lights illuminate at all, then you have a dead unit.

Good luck,

Alex

gaji

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 11:17:42 am »

Hi. Alex  Thanks for that information tried it and the unit shone a nice bright red. When I connected it back into the
             Tx once again no light after checking all the connection, all ok I removed the different wires one by one and
             the wire to the trainer socket seemed to be the problem, measured the voltage to the socket & tha voltage was only
             8.6v. Next I connect that brown wire to the small link at the front of the board ant hey presto a red light shone brightly.
             The problem with my set was the lower voltage to the trainer socket.
             Once again many THANKS for the help.
             now to try the rest of it.
Regards George

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 12:54:19 pm »

Hi George,

Glad to be of service, best of luck with the rest of the install

Alex

PeachyPM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 01:07:52 pm »

:-)) ah ha! new Alex would have an idea! :-))

gaji

• Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2015, 06:47:40 pm »

Hi. Alex   Thanks for the past help I have now completed the set as per instructions, with a 6 volt battery pack installed in channel 8 I installed a servo in channels 1 to 6 and all worked correctly but when I tried the servo in channel 7 all that happened the servo twitched I then tried several servo’s in this channel with the same results. Have you any idea why this happens and is there any cure for it?Also the instruction it states to set the fail safe channel? Has the F14 got this facility? If so how is it set?
 Again many thanks for all the help George

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2015, 07:37:58 pm »

Hi George,

Glad to hear you are making progress with your conversion, the Corona module, like most things RC, was originally intended for aircraft use, the failsafe is to set a servo into a predefined safe situation upon loss of communication with the transmitter, for example, throttle to idle, link below:

https://youtu.be/rYAxb0wEmFA

As for the channel 7 issue, it all depends on what you have connected inside your F14, the attached photo of my board shows you what I mean, I have the eight channel version, (they also did a seven channel) I have the first four channels with the usual two sticks, then two sliders in five & six, channel seven then carries the data stream for the multiswitch unit.
The Corona module can handle upto eight channels, but they won't do anything at the RX end if there is no signal being sent by the TX.

Hope this helps,

Alex

gaji

• Shipmate
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2015, 08:34:54 pm »

Hi. Alex I thing you have hit the nail on the head, as I also have 1 of the multi switches fitted in the socket next to the trainer socket. Your possible solution regarding channel 7 now makes sense. As for the failsafe all my other Tx are Spektrum which has the failsafe built in. If the case that the failsafe is not built in I will get an independent unit installed. That just leaves the rang test, now I know it works that task can wait till the weather warms up.

Yet again many thanks for the help
 George
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.