Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Matchbox 1/72nd H.M.S. Bluebell  (Read 40469 times)

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Matchbox 1/72nd H.M.S. Bluebell
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2015, 06:20:22 pm »

Nice work so far!

A suggestion - Because the rudder tube has to be cut down to fit under the deck, I normally put a bulkhead just in front of the rudder post to limit where any water ingress can get to.

That's a good idea  :-)) 

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2015, 02:43:56 pm »

I have just got the platinum edition, not started it yet so it will be interesting to see how yours turns out .

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 04:14:10 pm »

Managed to get a little done today, I was supposed to go for a trip on the old Waverley paddle steamer, but it got cancelled due to the high winds & couldn't load  :((  so I did some rubbing down etc. Filled all the edges where the hull sections fit, & given it all a good coat of primer, pretty pleased with the results ( If I do say so myself !! )  Also got the rudder fitting nicely, & trimmed the shaft to fit under the stern deck, but in the process noticed that the hull join is really visible, so a bit more sanding & filler work needed there  :((  Had to order a servo too, thought I had one but can't find it , so I'll have to wait before I can get the deck on  %%  I think I'll paint the hull first anyway, then fit the port hole glass  :-))
Anyway a little progress is better than none !!

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 05:59:50 am »

Will you be getting any upgrade kits? Or are you building straight from the box.  Going well so far .

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 09:46:24 am »

Hi I'm looking into getting some Stanchions in etched brass, as I don't fancy cutting all the little lengths of plastic, I remember getting a sheet for a boat I built along time ago, but I can't remember where I got them from  {:-{

Question If anyone knows a good place to get said stanchions I'd be grateful for a nod in the right direction  O0

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2015, 11:55:47 am »

Well, I supply 1/72 stanchions but I'm thinking the kit requires more than the standard stanchion which I supply in some places

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2015, 05:45:54 pm »

Cheers for that  :-))  I've decided to go for the individual brass one's. They look pretty good & will fit in the holes already in the decks  :embarrassed:  many Thanks though Dan.

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 06:17:53 am »

Dan have you worked out how you are going to do the deck yet so as to get access to the r/c, I have started mine, had the same  issues you had,  but my hull is warped out near the mid section so will have to glue the deck to the hull, but I need access.?  Decided to fit a smoke generator.
Chris

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 09:43:56 am »

Do the research on the boat. If memory serves I believe the English and US boats had steel decks not wood. Canadians had wooden decks. I stand to be corrected on this. Been a few years since i researched it!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2015, 07:18:46 pm »

Another one on eBay at the moment...   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Matchbox-Flower-Class-Corvette-P-M-R-c-Electric-Powered-Boat-With-Motor-/381422110810?hash=item58ce87885a )

No bids so far,If anyone wants to go for it, I can always scan the instructions for them from mine  :-))

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2015, 07:24:17 pm »

Dan have you worked out how you are going to do the deck yet so as to get access to the r/c, I have started mine, had the same  issues you had,  but my hull is warped out near the mid section so will have to glue the deck to the hull, but I need access.?  Decided to fit a smoke generator.
Chris

Hi Chris, I was going to fix the rear deck in position, & leave the mid deck loose with maybe a lip on the front to slide under the fore deck to help hold it in place. See the review link in an earlier post their method looks good. I have a 6v Graupner smoke generator also so I thought I'd fit it too.
Sprayed the red anti fouling yesterday, & major set back  >:-o  totally reacted with primer, both acrylic paint, so don't know what went wrong there  >>:-( oh hum, plenty of rubbing down on Sunday  {-)  Got next week off, so hoping to make a bit of progress on her !!

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2015, 07:26:46 pm »

Found this nice colour picture on the inter web the other day  :-))  HMCS job

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2015, 07:32:03 pm »

A piccy of my Dis-ar-ster  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2015, 07:34:14 pm »

Oh Chris, I brought this book, got loads of interesting info & pictures of models & real ships

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flower-Class-Corvettes-Shipcraft-Special-Lambert-Brown-Seaforth-P-9781848320642-/151690809767?hash=item23517a11a7

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2015, 07:36:27 pm »

Crikey, what happened there? I would expect that if spraying acrylic over enamel, but not like on top of like. I assume they are from the same manufacturer?
Pond weed is your enemy

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2015, 07:45:59 pm »

No different makers, but both said Acrylic on the tin, so went for it  <:(  oh well at least it didn't melt it, I'll get some wet n dry & flat it off  :-))  I'll stick with Humbrol next time  %%

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2015, 05:01:16 am »

Hi Dan. Acrylic paint is not always the same, it looks to me the red has split not reacted,  I may be wrong but as the primer is mixed to a different formula it may have needed to vent a lot longer, even though it was dry it was still gasing,  the red held the gas in and then split. The answer is if you are useing spray cans use the same maker for both , if you can smell fumes from the primer leave it until it stops. I have the tea shirt on that.
As for the deck I will do the same with some magnets to hold it down. I have found some on this site. www.magneticdisplays.co.uk.                      Thanks for the pic. Regards  Chris

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2015, 04:58:51 pm »

Hi Dan. Acrylic paint is not always the same, it looks to me the red has split not reacted,  I may be wrong but as the primer is mixed to a different formula it may have needed to vent a lot longer, even though it was dry it was still gasing,  the red held the gas in and then split. The answer is if you are useing spray cans use the same maker for both , if you can smell fumes from the primer leave it until it stops. I have the tea shirt on that.
As for the deck I will do the same with some magnets to hold it down. I have found some on this site. www.magneticdisplays.co.uk.                      Thanks for the pic. Regards  Chris

Hi Chris, yes i'm sure you're right, I might have been a little hasty putting on the coats  :embarrassed:  not good being an ex car sprayer by trade  {-)  I'm gonna rub it down tomorrow, it's nice n dry now  :}  Very good idea on the Magnets, plenty on ebay  :-))

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2015, 10:46:18 am »

Hi the magnets sounds interesting do they interfere with the radio gear Bill......

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2015, 11:16:09 am »

Hi the magnets sounds interesting do they interfere with the radio gear Bill......

Good point  :-))   I guess we'll find out soon enough  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Anyway, after lots of rubbing down, which was a pain due to the plates, I've given her a coat of primer again, & all seems well. I'm gonna let this coat dry hard & give it a quick nib off tomorrow & apply a couple more coats & see how we go from there. Anymore cock ups like this & I'll  <*<

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2015, 03:10:24 pm »

I have seen other sites and u-tube where others have used them on r/c subs and boats and they haven't had any problems. I think you use the magnetic tape which is like the type they have on fridge magnets and just use a small piece in two or three areas. What I have found on e-bay is self adhesive magnetic strip which can be cut with scissors ,it's in a roll . You get two types of magnetic tape ,one of each A&B which attract  each other.

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2015, 03:43:58 pm »

Hi Dan that looks better , what red paint will you use this time ? Personally I wouldn't put to much primer on, and then just thin coats of red drying each one. Anyway  you should know as a car sprayer. I used to work in a body shop as well. I have noticed that some corvettes were black underneath ?
Chris

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2015, 06:02:48 pm »

Hi guys using magnets to hold down cabin section on the plastic Elco boat see post in warships and military. Sailed the model on sea trails with no problems. I am using magnets used by the aero modelers

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2015, 06:22:27 pm »

Hi Dan that looks better , what red paint will you use this time ? Personally I wouldn't put to much primer on, and then just thin coats of red drying each one. Anyway  you should know as a car sprayer. I used to work in a body shop as well. I have noticed that some corvettes were black underneath ?
Chris

I'll see if I can get some red primer the same make as the grey, Simonez I think it is. I'll put another couple of grey coats on as you can see where I rubbed it through in places, this coat was only a very light dust coat to seal it really.
Yes I see some had black bottoms  :embarrassed:  too ,but according to the colour charts Bluebell had red, so I'll stick with that.
On the Magnet side I'm going to order this as it looks pretty good I think

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Matching-Pair-1-metre-of-1-2-wide-flexible-self-adhesive-magnetic-strip-craft-/181860998162?hash=item2a57c29c12

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.