Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Repairing Damaged RIPMAX CARLSON Tug ABS Hull  (Read 4201 times)

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
Repairing Damaged RIPMAX CARLSON Tug ABS Hull
« on: September 28, 2015, 09:39:31 am »

My grand Daughter wanted a small radio controlled boat like her brother & sister. We found a Ripmax Carlson on the internet. It was damaged but only £20 so we bought it. When it arrived there was a star shaped crack near the bow, apart from that it all worked fine. I decided to try a repair using only stuff I had laying around the workshop, much of it years old. The first 2 pictures show the tug before & after repair. Over the next few days I will explain how we got from A-B
                                         Propslip

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Repairing Damaged RIPMAX CARLSON Tug ABS Hull
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 09:51:06 am »

Intriguing - a bit like "how it's made" on TV. :D

...keep it coming Propslip.  :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 09:57:07 am »

The first job was a rub down inside & out to roughen the surface to give a good key for the repair. Access inside the hall was awkward. A small hole was drilled to show the center of the crack from inside. A scrap piece of 30thou plasticard was cut. This was secured using UHU Hart balsa cement. This was evenly spread over the piece of card. Not to much, mind, as this is a welding job. Pressure was applied inside as it dried to make sure it stuck to the compound shape of the bow. The same was then done on the outside, this time using 20thou plasticard. This was then left overnight to dry out.

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 10:04:00 am »

Next a good rub down of the patch again to roughen it up. Now we move onto filler. I used Elastic Plastic Padding. This was left to harden overnight & then given a good rub down. The hull is very thin skinned so take care. I used old very used sandpaper followed by old used wet & dry.

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 10:09:25 am »

Now I filled again, this time using Squadron Green putty. Once again this was left overnight to cure. Then another rub down. I decided to re-spray the entire bottom or the hull so  it was washed & the rubbed down all over.

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 10:17:02 am »

After another careful rub over the complete lower hull we move onto painting. First a couple of coats of Halford Red Primer. This is lovely stuff, easy to use, fills well & quick drying. This is acrylic based. Again it was left overnight to dry thoroughly.

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 10:22:34 am »

Now the top coat. This was another can that had been laying around for years. Plastkote Projekt Paint from B&Q. The first cost immediately showed up the repaired area that was not apparent after the primer. Another rub down, the next day & another coat it looked a lot smarter. Another coat the following day & its job done.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 10:29:24 am »

Clean and neat repair job - you could start another build log to show what becomes of it.... %) :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 10:39:43 am »

Well its job done. The final pictures show the tug as it is now, I cant turn it over as its still wet. Also a photo of the materials used. If you are intending to do a similar repair, take your time, this was spread over a week. This repair cost me nothing, as all of the materials were laid around, some for years. I cant bare to throw stuff away, even used sandpaper, it may come in handy one day!!! Now I must get on & finish that Bismarck!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.