Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Everard started  (Read 4722 times)

billwill

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Will Everard started
« on: October 01, 2015, 09:53:54 pm »

Well, it seems like a while since I last posted but there was nothing to post and been busy trying to prepare for winter driving so had a difficult time sourcing snow tyres for my car. However, today I received my new A2 cutting mat from Amazon so tonight with the little spare time I had I managed to make a start on my Will Everard Billing kit. Have to say all I got done was to cut out one side of the hull and the frames ready to glue together, however I forgot to take my square in to the house and I need to drill a hole for a porthole so called it a night. Roll on tomorrow evening and weekend so I can make a start in earnest. Makes a change to being stuck in the chair watching TV and on the net.   :}

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Will Everard started
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 10:08:59 pm »

.... do you get snow in Scotland then?!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

billwill

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 10:15:32 pm »

Probably the usual 1/2" for 1 day but if not prepared you can guarantee it will come a blizzard. After buying a set of alloys and just ordered 4 winter tyres I am just at the start of my daily snow dance regime which will continue till March 30 next year. Will have to take time out to get on with the boat though. Hopefully I can get to a level where I can decide if I can justify the Smit Rotterdam before they become unavailable.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 10:15:49 pm »

Hi billwill, enjoy the build, I scratch built my Will Everard 2 years ago a nice boat to build and sail.

John

billwill

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 10:29:31 pm »

Hi John, I'm going to take my time building it as it's my first build. Not going to sail it though, my intention is to make a case to put it in (providing it looks acceptable after I'm finished!  :embarrassed:)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 10:39:19 pm »

Hi Bill

Which one are you building? This Billing Boats one?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

billwill

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 10:43:23 pm »

Hi, yes it is the Billing one. Looking forward to having to apply some thought to the build and striving for perfection.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 10:46:16 pm »

Hi, yes it is the Billing one. Looking forward to having to apply some thought to the build and striving for perfection.

Its a good little kit.... spend the time making sure that the hull halves are built nice and square and you'll be fine :)

billwill

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 11:10:16 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I am pondering the best way to make sure the frames are at perfect right angles and stay that way to the hull. Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

billwill

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 07:02:10 am »

Apologies to everyone, I should say it is the keel I am meaning when I asked about getting the frames square to the hull. After thinking about it I realised it may be confusing. Going to try and get a small square today or something that I can be sure has a perfect right angle.

Greengage

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 02:27:25 pm »

Hi new to the world of forums so I hope I'm doing this ok. I've just ordered the Billings Will Everad which will be the first model I've made in about 30 years.  What tools do you recommend buying and what's the best way to cut out the individual pieces. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 03:01:14 pm »

I would get myself a good stanley type knife and a couple of small xacto type modelling knives. Follow that with a razor saw- you will need this for a wood kit. Then clamps, lots of clamps in all shapes and sizes, from the standard sliding clamp down to clothes pegs and bulldog clips- even strong elastic bands! No matter how many clamps you have you will com across a situation where you don't have one that will do the job! Drawing pins and dressmaking pins also. That should get you started.

Greengage

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 06:17:07 pm »

Thanks for the advice, I may need your help again later on!!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 08:49:11 pm »

Don't forget a good steel straight edge or ruler for cutting against, your knives will tend to stick in the edge of a plastic one.

Greengage

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 09:33:06 am »

I'm thinking ahead slightly to when I start doing the planking, is it worth buying a plank bender, or did you steam the planks, or not bother with either?  Also at the moment I'm not clear on where to position the highest planking strip and how that works with part 18 (the smaller planking strip), or will it all make sense when I get there.
Thinking a long way in advance, I live near to where some of these boats are moored and they all have dark red/brown sails, is there anything you can do to the material supplied to make it look more authentic?

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 05:07:59 pm »

When it comes to getting the frames square, your/sons/grandsons Lego box is a godsend

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 06:12:09 pm »

Sails, I'm not sure what sort of material is in the box, but a natural fibre material can be dyed. Use a commercial dye from a haberdashers that is the same colour. Or if you want to be brave, boil some oak bark for a couple of hours. It is the tannin in oak bark that gives the sails the colour. It wasn't done to colour the sails, that's just a pleasant outcome, the tannin acts as a preservative against the effects of saltwater spray and winds.

Check the sails on my Humber trawler from reply 254 onwards on this link.... http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,46369.250.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.