Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello to all at a very entertaining site.  (Read 3252 times)

bilgerat

• Shipmate
  • It wasnt me officer, some big boys broke it!!
Hello to all at a very entertaining site.
« on: October 02, 2015, 01:29:31 pm »

Just joined the forum after watching it for weeks, it seemed the right thing to do!
Was at sea for over 15 years as an engineer and have dabbled in the past with model boats etc but the midlife crisis has hit hard and the bullet was bit, so got into it deeper.
Started with a rtr Southampton model and decided that though it was a nice model in it's detail, it could do better handling. So out came the toolbox and a few hours later it is in bits...oooer!!!  <:(  Have left the stock motors in for now but installed new 8 ch radio gear, fitted 2 x esc and a mixer. Further work in hand is to install working winch, better lighting, fenders and a repaint. Will be experimenting with a rc car crawler winch to see what can be cobbled up to make the working winch, will let you know how I get on as it seems to be a subject that interests people of the tug ilk. Also just started a dumb barge kit obtained from MMM in Lincoln, don't quite know where I am going with it yet but a flush deck design is looking good at the moment with floodlighting and a crane of some sort on the drawing board.

already looking ahead to the next tug and there is a can of worms in itself, have narrowed it down to about half a million options so far but basic spec is 30-36 ins long and fitted with working winch, lights, smoke, sound and fire monitor, going to be a challenge to get that lot in to a hull that size so is going to require careful choosing. will probably end up with kit hull and deck but freelance the end design to something different and un-usual.

I also have a small ready to run speedboat, only about 12 ins long but goes like stink and is more fun than it should be, keeps my hand in on the lake whilst ongoing projects are in the model drydock! :-))

So that it me and my mad ideas, it will be an interesting road to get there and I look forward to he challenge.
Thanks for reading and I am sorry for rambling on. I have no doubt I will be constantly brain picking on the forum so please bear with me and have patience with a slightly eccentric wannabe model boater.
Cheers y'all

trev.
Officer of the watch to helmsman - who is the idiot on the end of this voicepipe. Reply from helsman - "which end sir?"

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
Re: Hello to all at a very entertaining site.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 01:42:00 pm »

:-)) Welcome Trev. and thank you for an interesting post,any questions you have just fire away they are a pretty brainy lot here on Mayhem ( sadly not me I am just an average boat modeler though I do try),there a lot tug guys on here who between them must have build every know tug to man so you are not alone.....Ray :-)) 
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

bilgerat

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 01:58:33 pm »

Thanks for the welcome Ray, they do seem to be a good knowledgeable bunch on here. Is there any such thing as an average boat modeller, from what I have come across so far, a boat modeller can be anything from a build / scale / detail fanatic, to someone who likes to play with electrics and gadgets, to someone who just simply likes to sail boats. Me thinks you do yourself an injustice sir, anyone who does boats is a cool dude in my book.
Cheers again Ray
trev.

PS, love he way you have to do a quiz to get your post up, keep getting a lot wrong though, I had an accident with weedkiller and my grass is brown, opposite of right is port...........must be me :}
Officer of the watch to helmsman - who is the idiot on the end of this voicepipe. Reply from helsman - "which end sir?"

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 02:06:21 pm »

Hello Trev and welcome to Mayhem.

Judging by your initial post, you will already be aware of how this modelling lark can get a grip of you.

It will be interesting to see your build logs when you get underway.  O0

....and don't forget the photos - we love 'em on 'ere.  :-))

Regards,

Ray.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 02:20:51 pm »

:-)) Hi,Trev,the quiz thing before you can post is just prove that you are not a robot or something,after you posted about ten times this will disappear and you won't have go through all that bother each time,the trouble when you get hooked on model boats you can't stop and after 50 years on and off I am truely addicted I got boats  all over the house,in the loft and in the shed,my poor suffering wife has learned to live with them,so be careful you might end up like us...Ray :-))   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

bilgerat

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 12:45:09 am »

Hello Trev and welcome to Mayhem.

Judging by your initial post, you will already be aware of how this modelling lark can get a grip of you.

It will be interesting to see your build logs when you get underway.  O0

....and don't forget the photos - we love 'em on 'ere.  :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Thanks Ray, got a bit confused then, a reply from two Rays!!
Will see what I can do re the build logs etc.
cheers
Trev.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 08:59:21 am »

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing some build photos...... Mmm that reminds me I must update my Lena thread........ Ray...... :}    Not really, it's  U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

Murph

• Full Mayhemer
  • Sláinté
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 01:30:46 pm »

Welcome Trev  :-))
Beagán a rá agus é a rá go maith

bilgerat

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 06:11:31 pm »

Thanks Murph........ :-)

bilgerat

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 06:13:12 pm »

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing some build photos...... Mmm that reminds me I must update my Lena thread........ Ray...... :}    Not really, it's  U2

Thanks U2  aka Ray4...... :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.