Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS VICTORIA  (Read 2700 times)

jtbyte

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
HMS VICTORIA
« on: October 18, 2015, 12:09:35 pm »

HMS Victiria was 340' x 70' x 37.5' and built by Armstrong Mitchell & co. in 1887.  The original image of the engraving is much better than the reduced image created for this post but never the less a lot of detail can be seen.  I think she is an interesting example of turn of the century steam warships.

Ian K

• Full Mayhemer
  • In the workshop, going daft but happy!!
Re: HMS VICTORIA
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 12:46:58 pm »

HMS Victoria,

As she is now, standing 90 degrees to the sea bed off Tripoli on the Libyan coast.
A sad and massively miss judged navigational error in British naval history.

Read Admirals in collision for the full account....I am researching her for a model.

Ian

D108

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
    • My models
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 02:56:35 pm »

I bought a plan for her several years ago, she's on the build list. Mind you so any plans are on the build list I never seem to get around to building much on that list. Are you familiar with the book "modeling late Victorian Battleships " by Brian King ?
It has some very good pictures of Victoria and articles on building various parts of the model.
What scale are you thinking of ?
Paul

Ian K

• Full Mayhemer
  • In the workshop, going daft but happy!!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 04:08:59 pm »

Hi Paul,

Yes I have that book, by Brian King.

I will be building two models of her, at two different scales, one at 1/96th and another at 1/72nd.

Ian

Engineman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Full Steam Ahead!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 12:15:19 pm »

The original image of the engraving is much better than the reduced image created for this post but never the less a lot of detail can be seen.
Oh yes, that's a well-known engraving which was reproduced from the photo of the builder's model which was totally made of silver - as a gift to the Royal person after whom this battleship was named after :) And it's quite interesting to know - whether this model has managed to survive upto present days or did vanish without a trace in a swirl of times...
I assume it is also necessary to point out that the model on the engraving use to represent the appearance of HMS VICTORIA as she was designed, not as-built. Indeed, the prototype is a very savory specimen of a steam warship of the era which was especially designed  for action in the narrows of Bosphorus and Dardanelle straits.

D108

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
    • My models
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 02:51:59 pm »

Hi Paul,

Yes I have that book, by Brian King.

I will be building two models of her, at two different scales, one at 1/96th and another at 1/72nd.

Ian
Blimey two models , not sure what scale to build when/if I ever get around to building her. I've been building US cruisers for  the last few years so a break from grey would be a welcome change.
Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.