Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model fishing boat  (Read 1964 times)

cowieloon

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Model fishing boat
« on: October 29, 2015, 09:20:48 pm »

Hi all
I am new to model making so I needs lots of advice. I have just bought a grp hull of a seine netter fishing boat.I am hoping to build a replica of my father in laws seine netter which he fished from in the sixties.The model is 34" long, what I would like to know is what size electric motor would I need,what size rudder tube and shaft i.e. how much clearance between shaft and tube and can anyone recommend online shop where to buy fittings etc.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Cowieloon

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model fishing boat
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 10:03:04 pm »

Fit like Loon ?   Get in touch with the Tarlair  club, not too far away.  They have many members who build traditional Scottish fishing boats. www.jmchattie.supanet.com
..well can you land on this?

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 09:01:46 am »

Have a look at Scoonies at Kirkcaldy ,that's the nearest shop I've found to me.
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

inertia

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 09:48:28 am »

I would suggest a Mabuchi 555 motor running on 12v http://www.componentshop.co.uk/mabuchi-555-dc-motor-mounting-bracket.html
Component Shop can also supply ACTion electronic speed controllers; a P79 would be just the ticket with this motor.
Model Boat Bits can supply suitable prop shafts and tubes, couplings, propellers, rudders and tillers http://www.modelboatbits.com/
There should be some guidance on the plan (assuming you got one with the hull) as to what size prop and rudder you require. If not then a 40mm 3-blade plastic prop would be a good place to start.; you don't want the thing to plane across the pond!
I think that Scoonies have quite a range of fittings of their own make but a quick Google will reveal others. Beware of ordering any Graupner or Robbe fittings, however. The former are now unobtainable and the latter are being slowly taken over by Krick and may be on long delivery dates. There are some UK mail order suppliers who will cheerfully take your order and your money for goods which they don't have in stock. None of the suppliers I've mentioned have ever given me anything less than excellent and honest service.
Dave M

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 02:58:41 pm »

http://www.localstore.co.uk/store/372249/peterhead-puffers/peterhead/
Think there's still a model shop in the Blue Toon ( Peterhead ) just a pity no one took over Johnnie Hutcheson's model shop when he retired
Davie Tait,
Scotland
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.