Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maquettes Tangorao Sport Fisher  (Read 1312 times)

mattyn

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Maquettes Tangorao Sport Fisher
« on: November 14, 2015, 10:03:55 pm »

Hi all,

Am a complete newcomer to model boating, so please excuse my ignorance...

I have always wanted a display model of a Big Game Fishing boat due to being a keen fisherman and with no pre made models available, I decided to take the plunge and try to make my own from a kit.

After much trolling through the internet, I found the New Maquettes Tangaroa Sport Fisher, which looked like the sort of thing that I was after. Well after nearly 2 months of working on it on and off, I'm finally getting somewhere and have got the bug for building model boats, but am in need of some advice please.

I was originally intending this to be a static display model, but now feel the need to get it on the water once finished.

I have been googling like mad to try and find answers to my questions, but seem to make myself even more confused by doing this, so am asking for some help please:

Question 1 :
Once the planking and hull is finished, I need to fill in the gaps / holes, so would general purpose wood filler be suitable for this or do I need something more hard wearing such as P38?

Question 2:
Once everything has been filled and sanded down, what is the next step? I have read about fibreglass cloths / varnishing / exopy resins / polyester resins...please help as this is quite confusing. All I'm looking for is the most effective way to get the hull sealed and ready for painting. Plus make it completely waterproof.

Question 3:
Once sealed and sanded again and ready for painting, what is the best way to go about painting? I'm assuming a few coats of Primer (please feel free to suggest suitable primers) before undercoat and top coat (again please feel free to suggest suitable undercoats and top coats in white).

Many thanks for your help at this stage, I'm sure there will be plenty more questions before the build is finished.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.