Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MV Gorgon plans and reference suggestions  (Read 2880 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
MV Gorgon plans and reference suggestions
« on: November 19, 2015, 09:39:03 pm »

Hello all.

A friend of mine from Warminster club wishes to build a model of this cargo ship to honour his father (now in his eighties).

Here is the quote with the details: -

I am after some help or advice please. Long story short, back in WW2 my father was rescued from Singapore in February 1942 on one of the last days before the Japanese invaded. He sailed on a ship called the MV Gorgon, the story is well documented. As my father is now well into his 80s his short term memory is not that great but his long term memory is great and he remembers this well. As a tribute I would like to build a RC model of this ship for the family. There was a plan issued of this ship with Model Shipwright magazine number 140 back in 2007, I have bought several of these and the plan has been missing each time. The plan was drawn by a Jim Pottinger however I have corresponded with him and he is older than my father and not quite with it. So do any of you have a copy of this please? Or know of any source for this please? Or can anyone advise how to or help me draw up a plan from photographs I have of the ship please?

If anyone has a plan from that issue they would be happy to copy let me know and I will pass on the details. I will reccomend that he join Mayhem as well.
Pond weed is your enemy

jtbyte

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: MV Gorgon plans and reference suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 04:45:38 pm »

Check this link:   http://www.abebooks.de/buch-suchen/isbn/9781844860579/

Check Item 6

Check Item 10

You may already have the attached list of those evacuated - Evacuees from Singapore - World War 2 - but just in case its here anyway.

Hope this helps.   JT

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 11:31:24 pm »

Thanks JT, I will pass on the information to Andy.
Pond weed is your enemy

andymart

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 02:14:44 pm »

Hi Ian and JT

Ian apologies have just found this post please ignore my message.

My father, aunt and grandmother are all listed on the list you have sent, which fortunately I already have a copy. However thanks. My Grandfather did'nt get on the ship and was interred by the Japanese in Changi gaol. He did survive the war and repatriated to UK but was a broken man. My great Grandmother was not so lucky and was also interred, and died just 3 days before the camps were liberated. However that is another story.

In regards to the ABEBOOKs link you sent, the plan is supposed to be in the Model Shipwright magazines, I have now bought 5 copies of this from various sellers and not one has had the plan in, despite my requests to them. However thanks for the link

I have been in touch J Pottinger about the plan and hopefully something will come of it. Of course if anyone else can help that would be great

All the best Andy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 09:05:00 pm »

I am glad that, despite my cryptic description of what and where this topic was, you found it!

Fingers crossed that the plans arrive over the weekend so you can get whittling.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.