Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: XRAD'S 40 inch open steam launch  (Read 25777 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: XRAD'S 40 inch open steam launch
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2017, 09:03:16 pm »

Like this?

Yay that looks good, like it
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2017, 02:01:03 am »

yeah, that look nice.  I like the red. I was considering painting a bit of the stack and the engine, but can't decide on color...grey, green, red....  I will wait until hull is painted and decide.  Engine is easy to remove, and so is stack, to paint down the road if wanted.

Finished the condenser and wood mount, and ran exhaust pipe into stack. Hopefully, it is tall enough that most liquid not condensed in can runs back down into can, and not too much down into boiler. The exhaust pipe extends a few inches up inside the stack.

PS: 'Baldric' = Tony Robinson?  :-))  I'm a Black Adder fan, especially the early episodes.....and Hugh Laurie in BA and Jeeves and Wooster.. Great and funny actors...

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2017, 10:58:24 pm »

Some paint applied.  Not so happy with the Rustoleum green gloss.  You have to be very careful when applying so as not to create drips.  Seems to be an exponential application curve...all looks fine with several light coats, then all of a sudden, it pools and runs. I suspect the solvent releases the underlying paint even though instruction say you can apply several light coats within first hour.  Had to redo a few areas. Also, even with a good sanding of hull, primer, and alcohol wipe, several pinhole areas developed likely due to retained mould release agent in the fiberglass.  these were all fixed.  I also added five coats of 2X rustoleum gloss which went on great.  It did not affect the green and coated very well.  Have to do a bit of touch up along the lower rub rail as some paint came off with the tape.   Spent some time chasing dust hairs in the paint as I was painting in the garage.  Everything shows up on dark surface.

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2017, 02:23:07 pm »

starting to all come together....the complex deck curves really show nicely.  main steam line to engine, gas line and one servo/radio battery install to go.....and almost forgot, have to make the wheel...and finish cockpit caprail...

hard to show the true hull color...will have to get some outside pics when done.

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2017, 10:36:10 pm »

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2017, 01:41:14 pm »

That looks great , lovely looking launch. At very much a guess an all up weight of 6Kg and with that PM 8 engine it will scare the hell out of the ducks on the pond if you let it rip.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2017, 02:39:28 am »

Thx Baldrick!

Had to replace the plastic universal joint due to binding. Made my own universal.  Standard dog bone joint made from bronze rod and hardened steel pin /ball (removed from kyosho RC car axle). Easy to make. 3/8th bore on both ends and oversized pocket for pin ball. Pin ball is pressed onto shaft and lightly peened in place. It's tight enough and not going to come loose. If it does, I will silver solder it. Grooves for pin slightly oversized. This allows about 1mm or so of play so that the prop shaft and motor output shaft don't have to be perfectly aligned axially.  3mm grub screws. Plus, now the propshaft does not put any axial pressure on the motor driveshaft .

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2017, 02:02:58 pm »

Nice. What exactly was the problem with the universal joint?

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2017, 02:09:01 pm »

the motor drive shaft and the prop shaft did not line up exactly as the motor mount settled a bit during glue-in (so that the 'projected' shafts did not meet exactly in the middle of the universal joint no matter how the universal was positioned) .  I tried re-positioning the motor, but that did not work. Motor shaft and prop shaft are true. Additionally, I had to bore the universal brass ends to 3/8th. the plastic squirmed a bit in the lathe so the holes were off just a tad.  The combination of these two issues caused binding and prop shaft wobble. The new dog-bone has enough play that shaft alignment is not an issue and prop shaft and motor shaft run smoothly.

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2017, 11:28:05 pm »

Cap rail cut, steam bent, and stained. This cap sits on top of mahogany laminated ply frame w/one layer on inside of cockpit, and two layers on outside(image post 79). Will get PU coat tomorrow.  Cap rail has a splash lip that overhangs outside cockpit combing just a bit. Gives the rail a nice shadow and makes for a more substantial appearance. Dust all over deck.  Nearly feels like a full size launch!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2017, 01:05:22 am »

Yes that shadow does give a nice illusion  %) of the repeated deck level cap-lip ...I had to go back to image .1461 to confirm that it wasn't there before.........

Yes as you say 'dust on the deck'......this just shows that the camera has better eyes than we have  O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
    • http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2017, 06:03:10 pm »

Hello!
Very nice boat to look at! :-))
Cheers.

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2017, 11:40:38 pm »

I have used these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5mm-to-8mm-CNC-Motor-Shaft-Flexible-Coupling-Coupler-for-3D-Printer-5mmx8mm for years and never had a problem ( and please Derek no academic comments regarding torque strength and durability after all these are models.
Cheers
John

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2017, 01:59:27 am »

Well dam you guys over there make some good 'Dogs & Bones'..I reckon this set in your steam drive line could handle a few thousand scale kW  and a few degrees of offset or misalignment  {-)

So sitting here in the middle of South Australia this morning...not much more to do than read Text Books...but we needn't bother southsteyene2 with anything from the datasheets..... %) ...afterall, these are only models

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2017, 12:56:05 pm »

Kyosho 'swing' shaft. hexagonal rod with slip on pin balls at each end. 5$ at hobby store. I pulled off pin ball and pressed on to bronze universal.   Looks better than the plastic universal!

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2017, 01:27:29 am »

final coat of cockpit semi-gloss poly U.   Waiting on a few RB07540 handrail shorty stanchions from Cornwall. At ~.50$ each, cheaper to buy than to make.... Another few coats of gloss poly on the deck and throttle servo install and ready for the lake..

and have to name her.....

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2017, 03:02:43 pm »

A bit more progress.  Came up with a name. Had some .5" x 2" brass plates engraved at

http://www.engravecon.com

Very fast shipper. Picked the thicker 'softer' brass plate and 'Victoria' script.  Order all at same time if you want them to all look the same. I ordered 2 for bow, but decided later to add the stern plate which was just a bit different in size. No one would notice unless you are picky.  Plates come with adhesive back, which is great for centering first, then drill/set mounting screws. I had to drill the screw holes in the plates. Drill plates first before mounting.

Next was the grab rails and stanchions. I used .1" diameter bronze welding rods.  I think they cost about $ each or so.  It's the length that is hard to get from standard model suppliers at reasonable price. So this is a great option.  Brass stanchions from Cornwall Model Boats  RB07540. I like Cornwall site very much because they take the time to describe the fittings better than others.  I needed a certain height off the wood rail and theses were perfect.  2.5mm hole diameter fits .1" rod just right.  Remember, if you put a stanchion every 5" for 25", you need 6 stanchions. 

Installing stanchions: Mark holes, drill holes, drop of CA in holes, insert and twist in the stanchion. Keep turning until stanchion base flush to deck. I used a short length of rod as a tool to insert stanchion and as a guide to tell how well hole lines up with wood rail.  Curve the rod and slide it in before final trimming and rounding of ends.  Sometimes as form or function, the rods pass through the end stanchions, and sometimes, the rods are fit into a part drilled end stanchion leaving a 'ball' end. I chose to pass the rod through the end stanchions. Like the look better.  To keep rods from wandering, a drop of CA was added to only one stanchion hole on each side. Easy enough to break free if needed.

Also brazed up an flag pole mount. Waiting on a 5" 48 star cotton flag, antique off ebay.  Have to be period correct!

All fun to do, and the look is just right. Stanchions offset the bronze rod enough for me to tie on Lipton tea stained bumpers, which was the whole point. 

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2017, 12:33:48 am »

Flag pole:  received my 48 star vintage US flag yesterday. Spent a few hours making the pole.  On the lathe, SLOWLY removed excess from some very dense hardwood I had left over from floor sample. It began as a 3/8th or so square stick.  First pic is of the end hole for live center. Never cracked! You can see the very tight dark grain. Fine sanded and one coat of gloss poly applied. Today, machined ball end and made some attachments for rope. It came out just right in size and vintage look for Marcava.

One nice thing about doing the pole on the lathe is that the flex in the pole was greater at the live center end which gave the pole a nice taper. 

just a few more things to finish......

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2017, 01:32:11 am »

Looks great, where did you get it from, I would like to find an old Canadian Red ensign.
Regards,
Gerald..
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2017, 12:31:32 pm »

Thx Gerald. Ebay...search vintage, old, flag, stick flag, antique, small, etc...

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2017, 05:47:16 pm »

Servo box and mount: Machined from aluminum with bottom, side, and top 3-48 mounting holes.  Mini servo.

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2017, 12:51:43 am »

Finished wheel. Brass and bronze silver soldered and mounted to a post. 72 degrees drilled holes on rear face and for spokes. Rear face holes for silver solder.  Wheel turns, but non functional. Hemp wrapped handles.

I am using a Spektrum 6 radio because it has several throttle set-ups , including 'no' spring return and easy adjustable ratchet or friction position hold...and a whole bunch of extra channels. And it has a really easy to use timer...flick one of the levers to start timer countdown to buzzer. Good for me as I can run for 20 min max before having to bring her in for boiler and gas fill( this is the dependent way of running, more risk, more fun for me)   Also made a universal joint cover.

See vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWXKqWnk1NE

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2017, 01:22:36 am »

That smart looking Chap %)  at the helm has a little of an Australian look with his hat brim split etc......

What scale is he?,.... was he pre dressed with his linen jacket & blue denims?,..... & what was the source?

Wheels like this usually have a significant King Pin.....  being the wheel position/setting for straight ahead O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2017, 02:11:39 pm »

The chap is the only 10" figure I could find dressed for the part. Perfect fit.  This skipper knows when his boat is running true.  Maybe I will tie a white wrap on the dead center spoke to help him out a bit between slugs of rum!

PS: I think he is modeled after an Australian! :}

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2017, 06:37:08 pm »

That is suppose to be Jed Clampett  from the show "Beverly Hillbillies'. Did you check to see what its value was before you opened the package?
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.