Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kit Advice  (Read 7797 times)

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
Kit Advice
« on: November 26, 2015, 08:25:14 pm »

Following on from some feedback I am trying to decide on which model kit to so I would be grateful for some feedback / views on these kits and manufacturers.

One big consideration is that I am getting back into model making after a long break and whatever model I choose has to be a confidence builder.

Mobile Marine Models – Stan Tug 1906 (Stan Tug 1906)
Mobile Marine Models – Stan Tug 1605 (Stan Tug 1905)
Model Slipway (Link) Al Khubar Harbour Tug
Model Slipway (Link) Maggie M

If anyone could point me to an “unboxing” or review of the kits it would be appreciated.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Kit Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 09:04:22 pm »

I think that such a choice is your own personal decision.

I feel that there are so many reasons for choosing a certain model to build.

Passion, historical value, Nostalgia and not forgetting gut feeling, and that is why I am finding this hobby so fascinating and interesting.

I think that the ultimate decision must be your own, or that which is chosen by your peers might always be second best to your own choice.

I have come to believe that different to all other forms of modelling and model making in other mediums, that I have come across, be it model trains, aircraft or even dolls houses that I partook in for a short period of time, there has never been seen such passion as that which I have seen in the model ships on here.

As such I feel that there will be many different choices given to you, but there is only one choice that matters in the end.

And that choice is and must always be yours and from the heart.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 03:04:28 am »

Model Slipway if you want a confidence builder. I have built a couple of MMM tugs a Tid and a Norton cross nice hulls and running gear but no real build instructions. Model slipway include a very comprehensive build manual and in my opinion (gleaned from other modellers) the quality of the fittings is vastly superior. Al Kuhbar is a nice tug. Hope this helps.
     Cheers,
          Faz. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

inertia

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 09:40:56 am »

Al Khubar build log here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815009
and here http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=ce1ea371999a30942fd3a340e258f200&topic=5074.30

Maggie M here http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=38892.0
and here http://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t84-model-slipway-s-maggie-m-build

Model Slipway's website gives details of the model magazine kit review dates.

Al Khubar is the easiest of Model Slipway's tugs to build, even though it's a twin motor model. There's no head-scratching areas as there are with Aziz, Dutch Courage and Envoy. I built the blue-hulled model featured on the website (Al Khubar 2) and drew the plans and instructions for the kit, albeit before I discovered CAD. I've no experience at all of MMM's kits although I know they're popular.
Like Jim says, choosing kits is a personal thing but I don't think you'd have big problems with any of these. After all, there's enough people on this forum who've built them!
DM

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 11:27:07 pm »

Personal opinion. Al Khubar. It builds well and is a joy to sail . I think you'll enjoy it, and that will build your confidence to tackle whatever you like. Even when it's working you can keep adding features.
 Chas

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 10:55:27 am »

My choice would be Model Slipway quality kits/parts and an excellent backup service, But as JIM said the ultimate choice is always going to be yours. %%

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 11:51:31 am »

Let me throw a spanner in the works. . . . Tugs seem to be the interest here, so may I add the Mountfleet model of the Cruiser.
Beautiful model, lots of building. The instructions may be a bit vague in places, but many on here are a mine of useful information and I'm sure will help.
The confidence built up over the challenge of the build will be far greater than an easier build. There is a build blog on here for the model to help. . . . And in my humble opinion it's a really good looking tug.
Just my thoughts.
in my own little world

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 11:58:49 am »

Re Spanner,
        Having built a Mountfleet Lowgarth (I am a Carpenter by trade!) and the grief that ensued from shall we say "trim to fit" as in the build book I would stick with Model Slipway as a starter. The challenges in building such a detailed tug as the Cruiser I think would put you off building model boats, nice tug but not for the faint hearted.
       Cheers,

andyram

• Full Mayhemer
  • Derby M.B.C. Celebrating 40 years afloat 1976-2016
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 07:23:43 pm »

If Carling made boat kits..............They would probably be........
MODELSLIPWAY.COM

As you can tell I am a big fan and recommend to anyone.Great kits,great quality, great back up a real pleasure to build.

I have built a few Maggie M,Tsekoa,Loyal Class,Al Khubar,Dutch Courage,Our Lass,a few club 500's and on the slips now another Our Lass. So I speak with a bit of experience.Already planning my spring build.What should it be?
Coaster,Sentinel or another Tsekoa.

Will. 

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 08:17:07 pm »

I built the Al Khubar as my first motorised model nearly 10 years ago, after a couple of decades of static plank on frame work. An ideal first choice. I have moved on to Mountfleet and have a very nice Highlander and Ben Ain but these are not beginners models. My Al Khubar was not perfect, far from it in fact if I am to be honest!, but I enjoyed it. I am just starting Lowgarth so will see how it compares with Faz's comments. I know what he means as I think that some of the instructions on the earlier boats were written by the Ancient Mariner.

John

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 07:49:21 am »

Hi John,
         Re the Lowgarth the final straw for me was the fibreglass superstructure falling through the "die cut" by the makers aperture in the deck so I scratch built a model of the Foylegarth from photos, she is on Balne moors site somewhere but now lives in a new berth on the Wirral.
       Cheers,

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 08:42:57 pm »

Hello Faz,

Thanks for the heads up. I have just put the superstructure moulding on the ply sheet and it is not an ideal match. I am thinking about reversing the construction procedure - start by making the coaming to fit the moulding - remove cut out from deck and fit the coaming - sort out deck around coaming if required - fit deck supports and deck. Should work, and thanks again for identifying a problem area before I reached it.

John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 09:17:43 pm »

Faz is right, you have no option but to make the hole in the deck to match the superstructure. This isn't the only kit that suffers from this fault. I'm not familiar with the details but although you will need to position the superstructure centrally across the beam of the boat you may need to be careful about the fore and aft placement. I had the same issue with another manufacturer and only just realised in time that the positioning of the superstructure moulding was critical to the placement of other fittings around it. So before you do anything permanent, do check that everything nearby will fit OK!

Another tip is that as long as the superstructure fits over the hole, the hole doesn't have to be exactly the same shape as the superstructure footprint. Once you have fitted the coaming you can simply add a bit of wood padding on the outside to ensure a snug fit.

Colin

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 09:21:16 pm »

Just to make it perfectly clear guys the superstructure outside size was approx. 3mm narrower and 2mm shorter than the precut, not by my hand, hole in the ply deck.
      Cheers,

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 07:51:41 pm »

Hello Colin
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my comments to Faz. Please do not get too carried away, we are only talking about 2-3 mm, if that. I checked my kit closely this afternoon and the moulding would probably not go through the partly laser cut hole. It is a big, and in places quite thick, moulding however with some thick rounded off corners on the inside. The limitation is the size and shape of coaming that can be fitted inside the moulding.

My local Pond at Poole can get quite choppy in a westerly breeze and I need a decent height coaming. Overall it is not a problem but I am just grateful to Faz for highlighting a possible problem area before I went ahead and cut the marked out hole out. If necessary I can do that and then rebuild the deck as required. I'm happy to call it a day now!! :}  :D %%

John

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 05:23:33 pm »

Many thanks for the feedback on the kits - it has proved most helpful

It does look like I am opting for the Model Slipway Al Khubar Tug, (However the Maggie M still looks appealing and might be the next model.)

Aim to start around february with the aim to have the model wet by mid summer (however I am not saying which year ;) - but 2016 is the current goal)

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 07:37:35 pm »

SJG001,
as most have said you,ll not be sorry if you make it a model slipway model even back up  from Jackie is great,
 by the way am up your neck of the woods for new year staying at the Best western over looking the river and free bar to boot all three days will sober up on way back  as not me driving.
         Regards Howard.

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 10:29:16 pm »

Howard,

Hope you enjoy Inverness (Just FYI Johnny Foxes is just over the bridge... ok2

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 22 queries.