Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tissues  (Read 9888 times)

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Tissues
« on: December 09, 2015, 11:42:40 am »

Hello the guys

With all your experience which recommend you as fabrics (tissues) to make the skirts of the Hovercraft?

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tissues
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 12:23:51 pm »

Hi Gazou, some decades ago I made one of these machines and made my own skirts [ no-no-I'm NOT a cross-dresser! ] using a rather open weave fabric heavily impregnated with latex layed up between two sheets of heavy glass to produce a nice flat and flexible air-proof sheet . My first attempt was a bit too flimsy, so I just choose some heavier cloth, cotton I think, and the latex used was Copydex which being a natural latex eventually disintegrated because of the diesel engine fuel, though an electric model would not cause this. Silicone or polyurethane rubber might be better .

Trevor

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 12:27:12 pm »

Rip stop nylon is what people seem to use

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 04:17:11 pm »

Rip-stop nylon was what I used many years ago when I built a 'full-sized' one-manned hovercraft for fun.

It was no fun cutting out all the individual skirt pockets and having to sew the beggars up!!!!!!

Quite fancy building an r/c version of a stretched SRN4.......  %)

Tim_M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 08:44:56 pm »

As an apprentice at BHC, one of my jobs was to sit in a dinghy to rescue the stretched SRN4 research model if the engine cut. It was about 12 feet long, had one or two chainsaw engines (can't remember exactly). Full radio control, including real variable pitch propellers. Not 100% sure what scientific data they actually got from chasing the local sailing school round the Solent but it sure was fun!
It's knowing what I don't know that makes me cleverer than I am :-)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 07:23:39 pm »

Tim - Am I right in thinking that the Hovercraft Museum has original drawings for the SRN4 in it's archives?

If so, I think a membership application may well be on it's way in the New Year along with a donation should they allow me to scan them to produce a kit.

I can easily see that a proportion of the  proceeds from kit sales being donated to assist with the costs of the museum being a possibility too!

Tim_M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 08:50:57 pm »

Afraid I don't know much about the Hovercraft Museum; it's many years since I visited. My association with hovercraft these days is getting on one every day to go to work! I would not be surprised if they have the drawings though; you might even find my dirty paw prints on some of them. There is a chap called Mark Porter who has built many splendid scale hovercraft, including the N4. He has his own web site and might be able to point you at the plans.

My next big project is the SRN2, the original without skirt. I have started the CAD model (based on an original drawing) but the build is a long way off yet. It's a huge challenge and will probably involve some glass fibre. Yeuk!

Good luck with the plan search.
It's knowing what I don't know that makes me cleverer than I am :-)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 05:38:51 am »

http://www.model-hovercraft.com/
with details for several hovercraft including srn4
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 11:14:20 am »

Gazou.
Go to Palaform ltd website...you can purchase various thicknesses ( weight ) of skirt material from Jag.
It is a type of nylon fabric which also has a thin layer of rubber type impregnation built into the cloth...i use his material for my scale models ( see them under hovercraft on this forum...lcac. Mamilossa Zubr etc ).
info@modelhovercraft.co.uk

Sub.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 10:15:14 pm »

Gazou.
Go to Palaform ltd website...you can purchase various thicknesses ( weight ) of skirt material from Jag.
It is a type of nylon fabric which also has a thin layer of rubber type impregnation built into the cloth...i use his material for my scale models ( see them under hovercraft on this forum...lcac. Mamilossa Zubr etc ).
info@modelhovercraft.co.uk

Sub.

Hey Sub, do you know if that material needs to have holes put on the inner part of the skirt to give the slight positive pressure under the hovercraft, or is it sufficiently leaky to do this by its self?

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 10:38:57 pm »

Hi Tom.
Depends what type of skirt you are making and the way you get air into the plenum chamber to be honest.
The material will not allow air to pass through it ( thats why its so good fo making hov skirts from.)
If its for your SRN then i think its an enclosed centrufugal fan lift type with no air bleed under the craft from the fan then you will need some holes on the  inner wall of the skirt where it meets the hull base ( if you put them lower they will fill with water when used on a water medium)
but you will need to make sure you dont have too many so you dont loose pressure in the skirt.
If you use a lift prop in a through duct with air bleed off ducts for the skirt then no hoes are needed in a bag skirt as the air will pass through under the craft into the plenum chamber when the air gets stalled with a full skirt under pressure.
Hope that makes sense.
Regards
sub

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 08:27:47 pm »

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 10:11:30 pm »

What an incredible model!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beautiful workmanship Gazou - N500 next? ok2

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 05:56:13 pm »

Like this one  ok2

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.