Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: ARDUINO any one?  (Read 61231 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: ARDUINO any one?
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2016, 03:46:15 pm »

Hello Brian,

The funny thing about this is that most of the code I am using is not mine and is copied/patched together from the internet as most things with Arduino you copy and amend rather than start from scratch.

I am watching your progress with your dynamic positioning project - if you think the telemetry would be of use as you get further into your project ( so you can see on shore what is happening with sensor/gps data) then very happy to share code. (this doesn't sound quite right as it's not really my code in the first place!) - cost for the Telemetry transceivers (2x£8)

Like most things if you get a glance under the bonnet you will see that it's actually very simple and logical - easy for me to say now having wasted about 10 hours watching a blank telemetry less screen as I plugged away trying to get if to fire...

The application running on the shore based PC is written in VB.net using a free version of Microsoft Visual Studio. Whilst I can program in this with some effort 95% of the code was pasted from the internet. This could equally be an LCD screen attached directly to an Arduino. The reason I have gone for a pc based app is I want to do live Google mapping and like the idea of an animated compass and may even add a Radar section as well.

Regards
Jonathan

I'm hoping that by the time I'm actually at the stage of needing to get the electronics up and running that all the problems have been solved and I can poach around and patch up code to see me through %) :} :}

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2016, 09:01:50 pm »

Tim,
I am aware of Frysky and OpenLRSng but know nothing about them. The little transceivers I am using are 100mw. Amazed that the Orange TX has frequency range of 400~460MHz.

Hope no one operates it anywhere near me as I can (not personally) have and ERP of 1KW at some of the frequencies it covers.

Totally agree about viewing the screen when you needs to be looing at the model. Part of the telemetry bit for me was so I could understand what the sensors where reading when the boat was out on the water - plus it's a bit of fun.

Just got a Google map to appear in my app before it rudely told me that my browser was out of date - so 6-8gb of Visual Studio 2015 now downloading.

Regards
Jonathan

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: May 11, 2016, 10:40:43 pm »

Jonathon,

actually, i would love to see if your radio and an OpenLRSng system could co-habitate... the GUID based protocol that OpenLRSng uses should ignore any "interference" caused by an emitter nearby not using the GUID based protocol.  It would be interesting to see if their statements about robustness are true or not.

as to your browser being out of date....   isn't the map view "browser" just the "real" browser being used as an "object" embedded in your GUI?  i would hope that VB.net would have no bearing on that.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #153 on: May 11, 2016, 11:35:52 pm »

...poach around and patch up code to see me through %) :} :}

:-))  It's the only way!

IF I get a chance over the next few days - real life is hectic - I'm going to try and 'IMU' what I've got - not least because I think it can work, but also because it's a damn-fine workout for the neurons. Stuff the cryptic crossword!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2016, 07:43:36 am »

Andy,

Will be very interested in your endeavour with your IMU. Whilst Googling around I found these images -  quite useful for my simple mind. I would have as a priority to maintain heading first as adjustments after that are only in 2 axis (forward/backward and side to side). I am sure there is more to it than my simplistic view so will look forward to learning more about how this actually works.

Tim
as to your browser being out of date....   isn't the map view "browser" just the "real" browser being used as an "object" embedded in your GUI?  i would hope that VB.net would have no bearing on that
re browser I think it's an active X control - anyway it doesn't want to work in VS VB.net 2012 - now moved to 2015 and all working fine so I guess I will never know the answer.

Re
radio and an OpenLRSng system could co-habitate
- I would think that it would be a simple case of the strongest signal wins.

Regards Jonathan

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2016, 02:57:05 pm »

Thats a damn fine illustration there Jonathon. It exactly explains all the inherant problems of setting up a dynamic positioning system using something as simple as an arduino.

When you think we are trying to emulate systems that cost in the tens of thousands of pounds yet we are using hardware that costs a couple of quid :o :D :D

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2016, 04:53:01 pm »

That's 'cos they can charge tens of thousands!  ;)

%%

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ARDUINO any one? - Ramp Mover modification
« Reply #157 on: May 29, 2016, 06:30:34 pm »

In July my club will be exhibiting at a local fun day, where we have only a river on which to sail our models. This is not suitable for the Ferry, but I would like to show off the moving ramp. Rather than keep the transmitter and receiver on all day, I have made a modified version of my mover circuit which operates the ramp through its cycle of movements every two minutes. I may wear out the servo, but at least there should be no other damage. %)

Barrie

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2016, 08:27:27 pm »

Want to know more about Arduino and how it can be used in radio control models

Have a look here for some ideas, inspiration, information - http://rchub.co.uk/

A collection of articles, web links, tutorials, concepts......

Regards
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2016, 09:39:44 pm »

cheers for the link C-3PO, just about to order one for play and my next build.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: October 12, 2016, 04:42:10 pm »

Now thats a good link 3po, I'll spend the evening going through it. :embarrassed:

rcboater1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Webmaster, Marine Modelers Club of New England
    • Marine Modelers Club of New England
« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2020, 12:28:54 pm »

Want to know more about Arduino and how it can be used in radio control models

Have a look here for some ideas, inspiration, information - http://rchub.co.uk/

A collection of articles, web links, tutorials, concepts......

Regards
C-3PO

I know this is an old thread, but that link doesn’t work.  Is there an updated one?
Webmaster and Newsletter Editor
Marine Modelers Club of New England

Dainesh

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #162 on: August 06, 2021, 09:08:08 am »

Hello guys,

The Arduino is ok, but I much more like Teensy products from PJRC.com.
The reason is their products are much robust and faster.
The best thing is you are able to program them by the official arduino IDE.

Denes

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2021, 09:49:09 am »

Hi Denes,

100% agree Teensy is a great product(s).

The vast range or boards available to the hobbyist from different stables is astonishing.

I still spend most of my time developing using the humble Arduino Uno or Nano and even then my code has events triggered on timers to "slow things down" as the loop is running to fast...

Not sure what you mean by Teensy being more robust - I have never had an issue with an Arduino that wasn't user error releasing the magic blue smoke.

Right now my favourite is definitley esp32 and want to get my hands on an esp32 s4 but they still don't seem to be released....

What type of RC model boat related projects are you creating?

Regards
C-3PO

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Dainesh

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2021, 04:16:01 pm »

Hi C-3PO,

Esp32 is nice 😊
I still have no any chance to play with it.

Oh I see you need slower things.
I use teensy at my workplace many different projects plus SPI and I2C busses, displays, stepper motors etc...

I start to use pics now.
I designed an Automatic Boiler Controller for my friends steam boat.
The other project is an ESC for RC boats.

Denes

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2021, 01:15:23 am »

i have had some trouble with some of the extremely cheap chinese (under $2 a piece) arduino clones.  they seem to run fine for 30 minutes or so, then lock up.  not good for anything i want near a sub.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.