Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Late Victorian Navy models  (Read 9728 times)

victorian

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Late Victorian Navy models
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2016, 11:35:42 am »

There is what may be an original builder's model of Captain in the NMM reserve collection. This model may now be at Chatham but I don't know. Chatham models can be photographed by making an appointment. Note those massive tripod masts!

These models are often criticised as being 'what should have been', rather than 'what was', and this model appears to show rather more freeboard than we have been led to believe! However, my experience is that the models are generally more reliable than third party renditions such as those in Janes or indeed some popular books. This model is built in exactly the same style as the 1884 model of Esmeralda as a guide to authenticity but obviously may not actually date from 1869.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2016, 11:54:45 am »

For a vessel having to sail in all weathers, you can see straight away her stability problem, same problem as barges, soon as the deck edge goes under the GZ righting lever rapidly disappears, that is why the old wooden walls had such a large tumblehome.. But thanks for the picture it is very interesting.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2016, 12:40:09 pm »

That was probably the planned freeboard. But they didn't keep a proper check on the weights going into the ship when building and she actually floated quite a bit lower in the water than intended which was disastrous for her stability. As Dodes says, once the deck edge goes under the ship rapidly becomes unstable.

Colin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2016, 01:36:37 pm »

Hi Victorian

Nice to hear from you, thanks for pictures, I've only ever seen the model from the side on the NMM website so it's nice to see some better photos.
In model form I think she works out at approximately 40 inches long in 1/96 scale, the size of a WW2 destroyer!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2016, 02:50:38 pm »

Does the candy cane style edge a'top the bulwarks represent the Hammock stowage do you think, or is it a quick way to make the model look pretty for the admiralty?

What a tempting build especially if the model was made to sail as well as run with electric power.
Pond weed is your enemy

victorian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2016, 09:47:07 am »

Yes, I believe the Candy Cane does represent the Hammock storage. Here's the original builder's model of Esmeralda, the first Elswick Cruiser, built 1884: (Photo courtesy of Roberto Paredes). It would be interesting to know why kit was stored like this - protection from small arms fire, less fire risk below decks etc., and was it routine or only when ready for action? I'm someone on here will know!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2016, 10:09:08 am »

Yes, hammocks were stowed on the bulwarks as additional protection from small arms fire etc. It was a carry over from the days of sail. I think it was also for hygiene reasons to air them. On HMS Warrior at Portsmouth hammock stowage is simulated on the bulwarks and there is a continuous canvas cover over them to keep out the elements.

Hammocks also came in handy for plugging hull leaks!

Colin

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2016, 12:33:48 pm »

Always thought what a downer it would be
having been stood down from action stations,
Going to collect your Mick and finding it shredded
by enemy fire. <*< <:(
BTW the stowage was called hammock netting.
Ned

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2016, 03:02:17 pm »

That is quite a neat way of representing hammock stowage and stronger than a mixture of bits and complex framing especially if represented with the cover over the top.

Pond weed is your enemy

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2016, 04:19:26 pm »

Another use I was reading the other day for hammocks, was when a square rigger was knocked down, due to wind or sea. The drill was to have a large spar handy on each side of the vessel, where upon the hammocks were attached, then a heavy line attached to each end of the spar and it was then cast into the sea off a quarter. This would act as a sea anchor causeing the vessel to drift stern to wind and allow the vessel to recover. Apparently when the vessel is going down there is nothing the crew can do to remedy the situation, as the shear weight off the wind or sea on the canvas alone will knock her down and keep the sails flat in the sea. Apparently a lot of square riggers met their end this way and the other common way was to be pooped in a heavy sea then the bow dipped under and the vessel would then drive down under head first taking all with her.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2016, 05:08:15 pm »

That is interesting as I had heard of the term but never knew the meaning.
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2016, 01:26:47 pm »

I also think Captain would make an interesting model to build and in model form would be easy enough to make stable. Mind you unless you want to build a huge model to get her to sail under sail may be problematical!

I have an old 1/96 scale model (40 years old) of HMS Nelson from the 1850's - Google her - she was designed with a full ships masts and central battery. Built from very limited plans so not accurate but with two funnels and three masts she does look unusual.

Most "cruiser" type ships of this period retained their masts and spars not because they were backwards in design but because coaling stations were non-existent so for long distance cruising sail was the only way to go with steam used for action only.

Geoff

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.