Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Severn Class in the Workshop - a 1/72nd Lifeboat build and R/C conversion  (Read 30593 times)

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
Re: Severn Class in the Workshop - a 1/72nd Lifeboat build and R/C conversion
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2016, 04:11:58 pm »

Yes Craig,
Stand 141 - Lifeboat Enthusiasts' Society [adjacent to the Southern Model Lifeboat Society]. We'll have some 18 model lifeboats and three vehicles, two will be DGzRS. Two DVD monitors with RNLI on one and DGzRS on the other. Some will venture onto the indoor pool and they are mostly 1/12th and 1/16th [1/14th vehicles] scales. there will be literature on all the boats and some actual RNLI artifacts I've purchased.
We set-up on Thursday and we are there for the three day duration - me and my Team of eight, maybe you can join us with your Severn next year [even if she's still in build - all mine are!!!!]. Seek me or 17-09 out.
Kim

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2016, 04:58:58 pm »

I think you will find that Deltang produce the bare boards which are usually sold on to firms like Micron who wire them up and configure them to individual requirements.

del7317

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2016, 05:05:04 pm »

Hi Kim
 would you be able to take me a copy of you dvd with the Severn class lifeboat on  to the brighton model show so I can collect it on Friday .
 Regards Derek     

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2016, 10:56:07 am »

Nice to meet you Kim and Alan on Saturday at the Brighton show and great to be inspired by the models on display and Alan's lovely little Y-boat build. Could have stayed longer talking really but will catch up again in the near future I'm sure.

I'll send you an email in a short while so you can send me details on joining the LBES.

Cheers

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2016, 01:57:11 am »

As Craig has said, we met at the Brighton Model World, where I and my colleagues and friends of the LBES put on a lifeboat stand display. I will attach few photographs of the Team and some of our display lifeboats, including the Award Winning RNLI Cup 'Y' Class 1/12th lifeboat by Alan Poole [17-09] from the Sandown Park Model Engineering Show 2014 that Craig mentions. You will also see our little Severns on display.
During the Brighton Show I spent each day on our stand converting and painting lifeboat men figures and also 17-09 'reverse' masked the bottom line of the 'boot topping' for my little Severn - he has a very good eye for that. I then covered the rest up for any over-spray not to ruin the blue coat. Photos were taken when I got back to the workshop. The next 'post' will show the result.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2016, 02:22:15 am »

Well, I sprayed the red oxide [anti-foul] coat on yesterday and then took off the masking tape and saw the finish. There are a few small areas for remedial work, the bow area cross-over points on the spray rails and the transom stern corners. These will be masked later in the week and then judiciously hand painted [touched up]. The process was not without its problems though.
  • an area around the port-side bow-thruster started to 'crazy pave' and wrinkle, so I quickly put on the workshop secondary heating [electrical convector heater] and slowly cooked the area, gently. Rightly or wrongly it worked!! That was a Halford's acrylic red oxide on a Vallejo white acrylic primmer coat - hmmm. It pulled back and then looked like a weld line around the pronounced streamlining, but it finally went.
  • another area, along the underside of the central stern trim plane, bubbled and would not 'pull back', so I use the straight edge of a 6" rule and pushed it flat and then gave another light coat of spray - it has seemed to work.
  • three other very small bubbles appeared under the long starboard spray rail, these would not go, so I have left them. None of the above has ever happened to me before when spraying - hey ho, but all in all I am very pleased, 17-09 made a very good job of the masking.
After the remedial work I will attempt the rubber fendering, spraying a Vallejo Nato black.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2016, 03:08:45 pm »

Hi Kim,
Is that a Graupner Harro Koebke in one of your photos? Looks fantastic - who built that one?

Charlie

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2016, 04:44:16 pm »

Hi Charlie,
Yes, it is. It belongs to Phil Locke, who is beside it. It comes all fully built and includes the motors, bow thruster and ESCs [I believe] - which you have to fit, then provide the Rx and batteries [ARTR]. It has a working water canon and LED lighting throughout; the three propellers are brass and not plastic. The central and Starboard side props rotate outwards and the Port side outwards - all when viewed from the stern. Phil ordered from a German company who were offering it at Euros 300 off the list price. After ordering it, it arrived some six days later strapped to a pallet and in a large cardboard box [very large!] - nothing wrong - and being in the EU no extra import duties to pay! Phil is going to do some minor / cosmetic upgrades from his research of the actual vessel. He seemed very pleased with it. I hope I have most of this correct.
Kim

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2016, 10:36:41 pm »

HI CC, you mention bubbles in your paint, could be you have water in the airline, try one of the moisture traps attached both to the compressor and to the airbrush / spraygun

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2016, 10:57:41 pm »

Thanks Mark,
I was not using my airbrushes for this [and they do have moisture traps in the line system], but a can of Halfords Red Oxide spray.  I've used these many, many times before and never got this result - crazed. The main thing was the 'heat treatment' seemed to 'pull' the paint back into shape. The other little bubbles might have been condensation formed in the can, but they were warmed to room temperature. Appreciate the response though.
Kim

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2016, 11:24:07 pm »

Hello Kim,

In the picture of you holding the boat in the air, what is the model behind you on the bench. It looks like a lifeboat hull but an unusual cabin.

Is it another model of an airfix kit or is it larger as it does seem a goodly size.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2016, 05:27:36 pm »

Hello Jim,
You are right, it is another lifeboat - the 2nd Arun Class prototype with the designation 52-02 and built in 1973. It was the first lifeboat to have the 'drop' in the sheer line forward of the stern steps. She was RNLB Sir William Arnold, stationed at St. Peter Port in the Channel Islands and named after a local dignitary. The original prototype was RNLB Arun, built in 1971, but she had a 'flat' deck and the designation 52-01, also stationed at St. Peter Port. She has had three owners since being sold out of service.
As for the model, I acquired her some eighteen months ago, in a slightly sorry state and requiring attention. She is at 1/20th scale and the original builder - I think - has cut down a Metcalf BP Forties hull and deck from a 54' version to a 52' version, modified the deck and built this 'one off' design wheelhouse in thin plywood. I have so far:
  • re-drawn the windows, which were all over the place, and then filed them out to the correct profiles, in places adding small pieces of wood to fill in the defects.
  • Fettled and fiddled [as we do] with the bottom edge of the wheelhouse to get it to sit correctly on the deck - it now does.
  • Used a slit saw to make a rectangular stern access cover, so that one can get to the rudder assembly a lot easier.
  • Filled a number of small holes over the hull
  • Sprayed the whole model primer grey - my preferred colour at this stage - I now await further comments!!
  • Removed an area of the top wheelhouse roof area and fitted a removable panel for 'engine removal and installation' as per the actual boat
  • On the small roof forward of this also removed a single small pane area for the window that goes here
  • Filled various deck holes and gaps.
  • Acquired a set of brass stanchions, two Buehler motors, a Forge Electronics small digital sound module with a Severn Class Caterpillar engine sound for start-up, run and close-down [which I recorded on the Newhaven lifeboat] and two ECS.
It will eventually be for the small indoor pools at Shows and also for my school classroom visits as an RNLI Education Presenter - a lot easier to carry!
Thanks for your interest. Just back from another superb [but bitterly cold] day at Dungeness with some good lifeboat modelling friends, looking at all things Shannon.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Amongst other things, I have been doing the small corrections to the 'boot topping' - having bought an OptiVisor, I can now see EVERY little speck that needs correcting. Almost there and then mask for the 'rubber' fender to be painted, followed by the hull decals. That will be next week, as this week is a very busy one with three rehearsals and a large choral Concert which I will be singing in at the Cathedral this Saturday.
So today went to Kearsney Abbey, for a relaxing day in the sun with 17-09; he tried out his 1/72nd Severn [could not not post these photos to help inspire and encourage you with what can be done with a 9" Airfix model - courtesy of 17-09 and his 'single shaft' version of 17-21, what detail - remember its size! - look at his use of tissue and PVA glue on the 'Y' class RIB cover] and my latest acquisition of a secondhand Graupner 9 meter Klasse DGzRS 'Gillis Gunnbransson' 1/20th scale lifeboat. A superb tonic - all went very well.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Well, almost a month has gone by and the 'remedial' work spoken of in my last main posting has only just been completed - after some five or so visits into the workshop, each time thinking 'if only I did.....'. Well, that is it now! I've attached a few photos to show the 'progress' made - when this close to such a small model you can still see little things wrong, but I'm hoping that the final varnish coat will 'cover' some of the 'ledges' created by the masking tape! All of that said, I'm pleased, so have started this afternoon masking the fixed rubber side fendering, ready to paint tomorrow or Wednesday.
Had a great time last Thursday going down to RNLS Dungeness and finishing the main photography [another 231 photos] for my Shannon DVD of static photos for modellers. Also measured all the rails' diameters, likewise the nuts, bolts and washers to produce an 'information sheet' for modellers too. Spoke at length to their Engineer, Trevor Bunney, who gave me lots of good information on the SuperCat, trailer and Shannon for talks that I am going to give in the West Midlands in May. A really good day and time well spent.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface

Looking good Kim, coming along nicely.
I might just get a copy of the Shannon DVD from you when you are all done. Not building one yet but you never know....  ;)
I had a quick glance at the Ilfracombe boat when I was there last week. The boat house wasn't really open to visitors but the roller door was slightly open and someone was working in the back. I sneaked some photos under the door but didn't really have the time to wait and say hello, Sure they would have let me in if I had off. I'll be back there sometime for another look though.

I'll update my build thread this week with progress as I now have the motors in place and running.

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Thanks Craig,
But just one word of warning - don't get an Opt-visor! If you aren't a rivet counter, you will become one and if you are already one you will become a mega rivet counter. I have a 2.5 lens front, which gives a working distance of 8" - superb! Watch out if buying one though, search the internet, I got mine for £32 [genuine article], they can easily cost twice as much. Give good 'focus' on accuracy of build and painting. You can actually see what you are doing!!
I'll add you to the list for the Shannon DVD - should be finished at the weekend.
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Well, had a great day!
Firstly, masked up the fixed rubber fendering area around the hull. Used Tamiya 6mm masking tape [what else!] cut into 2 and 3mm strips. Also used a new Swann and Morton scalpel blade, just one even pressure across the excess tape areas and remove with tweezers, easy.
Then hand painted with Revell enamel 'anthracite' [NATO black really] paint. After which I gently dried off with my small craft hot air blower [like a hair dryer - normally used for my heat shrinking on electrical wiring - got it from London Rubber Stamp Company for around £12]. This removes the tackiness from the paint surface and allowed a quick removal of the masking tape.
There were a few areas where I had 'strayed' over the masking tape, so removed these small lines with Rustin's burnishing cream [go steady as it soon takes the paint off] on a cotton bud. Then buffed and polished cream off - done!!
The next couple of days will hopefully see the application of the decals, using MicroSol - now that takes me back more than 18 years!

Captain fizz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

That looks superb, an excellent standard!

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Kim
Looking very smart :-))

Del

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Captain Fizz and Derek [Del], thanks for your encouragement.
Not such a good day today [after pruning right back a large buddleia davidii in the garden- it's that time of year!], as I attempted to start the decal fixing and fortunately had a spare set salvaged from 17-21's workshop rubbish bin a couple of years ago. The stern arching 150th Anniversary stripes decal decided to crack, even when using MicroSet [blue bottle - more of that below]. So used the spare set, having now trimmed both ends exactly to their edges. I did not attempt, at this point, to trim the carrying medium back top and bottom as the actual boats do not have this trim applied directly underneath the rubber fendering - now show me a model lifeboat that gets that right, can't remember one, it should be around 1" below. However, as can be seen from my photo below, even mine is too low [should be half that distance], but the carrying medium would not allow me to butt it any higher. To overlap it against the rubber fender and trim off later I did not want to do as I had just spotted that this new decal had 'patches' on the printing! These can be seen above the word 'Newhaven' and towards the starboard stern corner. Also the decal was starting to develope white patches - all in all a moment I could have done without. So I lifted the decal with the tip of a scalpel blade and fed some more MicroSet underneath and reset it in place. Then I over-painted with MicroSol [red bottle] and waited. It's not perfect or anywhere near as good as I wanted, but that is life! I then went ahead and applied the boat's Station name 'Newhaven Lifeboat' one that my family and I have supported for more than fifty years.
Now for a couple of corrections to my previous post. Firstly, when speaking of MicroSet I called it MicroSol. 'Set' is used to get a better adhesion for your decal and 'Sol' is used after 'Set' when you want the decal to soften even more and conform to rivet heads or sink into engraved lines. There are a number of YouTube videos covering the process. Secondly, when I said it took me back 18 years, I meant to have said '48 years'! Lastly, when commenting on the previous Post to that one, I mentioned 'optiVISOR' and spelt it wrongly, not something I like doing, so here it is correctly spelt and in the same upper and lower case lettering as used by the company.
Well, tomorrow I will spend a day relaxing with 17-09 on the cliffs above Dover, looking at new acquisitions modelling wise and also comparing my new Models by Design 1/12th Shannon hull, deck and wheelhouse against the RNLI plans. Back to decals again on 'Good Friday' - for me, I hope it will be.[/color][/color]

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Just going back into the workshop to 'touch up' the two corner upright 'rubber' fenders, as the MicroSet started to take the 'Nato black' enamel paint off - something that has not happened to me before. Meant to mention this in the last Post, but in looking at it on MBM here I could see the blue showing through! I have to keep reminding myself, it's only a hobby - not the end of the world! Well, we sometimes think it is................ and I'm not the only one, eh?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer

As Kim says............... "it's only a hobby - not the end of the world! Well, we sometimes think it is..and I'm not the only one, eh?"

Well sometimes the builder is his/her own most critical critic O0............you are completing a very detailed build......we love to see the images as you progress :-)) ............. Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Derek, you are right. So with that in mind, and on a dry and sunny Good Friday here in the Garden of England [Kent - South East England], I gave the gardening a miss and spent three hours this afternoon in the workshop!
Now, before I went any further with the decal application, I suddenly remembered another little detail [chuckle, chuckle oh rivet counters!] that I wanted to add on my little 1/72nd scale model, that I have never ever seen on a 1/12th scale lifeboat, the fixed rubber fendering joint coverings. So out with the reference photos on the computer, marking them onto the Airfix build instructions and then mask, paint and remove masking. I enjoyed myself and in that three hours I only managed to complete the port side of the boat. However, I did also fill the forward holes in the deck and then sand back to make the deck flat again. Then I went to spray the deck grey, and horror of horrors - I had run out of Halfords grey primer! Never been known before. A job for tomorrow.
I have added a photo below of a few home made tools and one purchased item I would not be without. I give these, just in case some of those folk reading this build are new to the hobby and wonder how we do things. Firstly, a BBQ wooden skewer, flattened off across the pointed end [not easily visible - I'll try again tomorrow with another photo], this I use to 'push home' the Tamiya masking tape into the small corners. This worked OK until I came to the stern quarter and this did not work so well; I have left the results so that you can see what I mean. That said, some will be hidden by the decal, at a later stage, and the other I will wait and see what it looks like, as on the real boats they are far from perfect - tut, tut! Secondly, there is a wooden coffee stirrer where I have shaped one end, added glue and stuck on some fine 'wet and dry' paper to use as a file type instrument. Here I used it to remove the bulk of the filler on the forward deck and then finished off with the 'flexifile', also shown, which I would not be without. These come in various grades right down to 12,000 grade - yes that is correct and not a typing error! They come as flexible nail file shapes [my one here I have just cut back the ragged edge sections to give new edges], square foam pads and even cloth types. A lot cheaper option is from a Chemist and the items used mainly by ladies to keep their nails neat. You can polish the plastic right back to its original smooth look.
During all of this process this afternoon I kept looking at the white 'boot topping' line on the spray rail towards the bow and finally succumbed to rubbing this back as it had a ridge on it! The keen eyed might have spotted this; it will get re-painted in the next couple of days. There is a word for people like me! :((

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Forgot to mention in the last Post that I have added a small styrene 'bar' across the deck hatch opening [shown here white], so that should there be a small ingress of water, coming off the forward deck, there might be a chance that most gets deflected. Hope that explains the last photo.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2016, 12:30:02 pm »

BFSMP [Jim],
Where has this last eight months gone?!!
You asked a question on 24th february this year about the 'other' lifeboat in the bckground - the Arun [2nd] protoype 52-02. I was at the LBES Chatham Historic Dockyard meeting yesterday and another member brought me the original plans to have a look at, superb, so I might be starting ANOTHER build thread up on that one, once I get back from the 'Warwick' IMBS next month. At the moment I am 'all hands to the deck' [literally] on my Shannon build for the IMBS.
Regarding this Severn build, I am awaiting a very, very small RX and ESC unit from Germany that will give me 'forward' and 'reverse' and allow individual control of each shaft, so when I get that [and after the IMBS] I will start this build again too, as the winter months will give me time for a multitude of boat builds, but still with the emphasis of getting the Shannon on the water.
Kim - C.C.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.