Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Severn Class in the Workshop - a 1/72nd Lifeboat build and R/C conversion  (Read 30587 times)

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
Re: Severn Class in the Workshop - a 1/72nd Lifeboat build and R/C conversion
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 05:53:16 pm »

Sorry folks, but like all of us, you suddenly get a period [for me the last 48 hours] when life just takes off and has to be dealt with - model boats then take a 'stern' seat!
He is the the hull with the deck supports, made from 1mm styrene card with triangular supports glued underneath to take any later small pressures in the downward movement! The two that come after the bow one were given a gentle tweak with the fingers to conform to the slight 'S' configuration.
I'll try and catch up the number of personal queries a few have raised either later tonight or tomorrow night - tomorrow is also a busy day!
Thanks for all your interest. The new ESC with reverse and a switched brake has arrived, so I'll weigh it and photograph it and it should be on soon.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2016, 11:53:54 pm »

Just picking up on a few comments and requests.
NetleyNed is correct on the geared motor set-up from Hobby King - 'Micro Power system with gearbox [GPS-6]. I agree that the rpm [unloaded] is quite high, But it's a starting point and can always be replaced with something better later [or before if I find it!]. They were only £3.38 each.
Those wanting details for the ESC - Hobby King again, but 'Forward Only' 3Amp single cell [3.7volts] for brushed micro motors - part number BR3A/11885 at £7.04. It only weighs 2 or 3 grams, right on the limit, so goes backwards and forwards between the weights - what's in a gram between friends, well a lot in this little set-up!!
Now, just turned up is the new ESC 20Amp with forward and reverse + a switchable brake [for brushed motors]. I got this on Ebay from TOMTOP Technology Ltd item number 171871525406 costing £6.88. I have attached a photo, unfortunately it weighs 12 grams! However, a lot of this can be reduced by shortening the length of some of the wires and taking the plugs off. Of course it would have been nice to have an ESC for each motor, possible with the forward only ESC with the wheelhouse interior removed.
I aim to drill and tap the 1.2mm threads for the deck screws next, but that will probably have to wait until Wednesday. I have been very busy during the last week on a number of other lifeboat related matters. After that I might well make up a test bed for the electrical system, outside of the boat. Big Ada mentioned my little talk at last week's MBA-Dover meeting. Something that I had overlooked was the voltage required for the Receiver [RX], brought to my attention by another club member. My system here is on a single cell LiPo of 3.7 volts - the Rx will require 4.8 volts. So I shall raid my little railway OO scale MAN lorry [to be converted into an RNLI supplies and parts delivery vehicle - what else!!] which works on this voltage, but requires a Spectrum 2.4Ghz system - there, more 'drinking voucher' money that I will have to charge up to 'house keeping'. I bought this as a kit at the Dortmund Modellbau last year, but I'm booked to be back this April with 17-09, so shall replace it then.
Well, have a good week and thanks for the interest.

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2016, 03:31:36 pm »

Canterbury Coxswain visiting another Airfix Severn build here today, put to good use holding the finished hull and deck, this one fitted out with the Deans micro R/C. (Single shaft version) should have cleaned it before photographing...
17-09

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 03:41:03 pm »

Just noticed, the lower photo on the previous post is only 1/2 inch shorter than the actual model! (when viewed on my laptop)
This demonstrates the small scale of a 1/72nd build and might help those who have commentated just how small it looks.
17-09

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 11:44:45 pm »

Found a little bit of time this afternoon [in a very busy lifeboat and modelling week - spent a few hours photographing 12-21 RNLB Margaret Jean out of the water at Ramsgate where she is on the quayside as a Relief boat - another 180 detailed photos] to drill and tap the 1.4mm screw holes to fix the deck to the hull. Used a 0.8mm drill prior to tapping with a 1.4mm tap. The bow plate first two did not work too well, so moved them back slightly and the next two worked! Will have to fill the holes now. The stainless steel screws came from Knupfer at the Dortmund Modellbau last April. Eight in all will fix the deck - when all in place they will not have to come off too often hopefully, but do allow full access, should it be needed. I will wipe a smear of Vaseline around the inner hull lip, prior to fixing for the last time before its first sea trials [in the bath!].

Macsmouldings

• Martin
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2016, 10:05:03 pm »

Canterbury Coxswain, one question, will the deck remain Grey....  :-))

Sorry Fella, couldn't resist

Seriously, really interesting build, keep it coming, really enjoying it.

Mac
Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2016, 10:41:26 am »

Yes, 'Mac', it will remain grey, but another shade of the fifty to hand!!
Kindest regards and a Happy New Year,
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2016, 02:25:32 pm »

As you will know by now, I'm always on the lookout to find a way to reduce weight anywhere on this project, firstly to make sure that I get the model to sit on the correct waterline and beyond that, wouldn't it be great if we could get an ESC on each motor, even at 'forward only'. So when 17-09 and myself visited the London Model Engineering Show at Alexander Palace yesterday [and saw so many Mayhemers!!] I bought this little LiPo off the 'minicam' stand of Cam-Shop-Online.com; it measures 30x20mm [the original one is 30x50mm] and weighs just 6 grams [the other is 14 grams] and delivers 600mAh, whereas the other one is slightly more at 730mAh. That said, I will only be using it for short on-water displays and I overheard the lady on the stand say that when used on quadcopters at full burst it gives 5+ minutes duration, whereas in its use for the microcam it will last for up to eight hours. It cost me £7.
I have now made the little stand up on a base plate [idea nicked off 17-09!] which has made life easier. Photo to follow on next post, when I hope to have moved on a little on the build side.

Robin smith

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2016, 02:45:44 pm »

doing a real good job watching this with interest

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2016, 08:11:58 pm »

I have mentioned this in other threads but if light weight combined 2.4 GHz Rx and ESC is your area of interest, I can highly recommend Micron RC and the service they offer.   My most recent kit conversion, the Airfix Vosper MTB, performs very well indeed on a Deltang Rx 60 board powered by a 250mAh single cell LiPo as configured by Micron to my specifications for a total cost of about £30 + postage.  Micron also do suitable geared motors.  Have a look at http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/rx_dt_land_r6.html

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2016, 02:19:06 am »

ANI,
Many thanks for this - I had come across them before, but had forgotten them, so a timely reminder. Do you have the Rx60-6? I shall look at one of their servos too.
Kim

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2016, 03:48:44 pm »

It was invoiced as a Rx60-3-W but if you e-mail Micron the specific requirements they will sort out which version to configure to.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2016, 04:29:16 pm »

Sorry, been missing for three weeks - like us all, other priorities take over modelling life - a set of rehearsals for a Choral Concert, 12 DVDs of lifeboat photos for modellers off Mayhem to burn off [great - thanks - have raised another £67 for the RNLI], a week sick with a horrible sickness virus and helping a couple of friends with their boat builds and also a couple of big articles for Marine Modelling International magazine!
Enough, on with this build. In the last post I promised to put a photo of the little 'converted' stand idea I 'nicked' off 17-09, simple, but effective.
Then, on this build, I am trying out a few new products recently purchased for my 'other life' in military modelling [modern jets, armoured vehicles and figures / busts] - no idle moments this end!! One being the series of Mr. Hobby 'surfacers' [grey liquid styrene -500 used here, but finer ones too being 1000 and 1200] that fill gaps and join lines. You will see evidence in the photos around the propeller shaft exits on the hulls and I also decided to see what it looked like to paint on the inside of the hull to 'tidy-up' the styrene deck supports, the shaft support boxes and the join line around the three hull sections.
This afternoon I have started to sand this back [not easy in such confined spaces], but then there were still gaps, so I have then tried the Deluxe Materials product - Perfect Plastic liquid putty. I also applied this across the transom area join, as there were very fine scratches here that could be seen in different light conditions. I have now come in to leave this to dry. Hopefully, when this is done I will later sand to a fine finish, which will allow me to start the hull paint job, proper. That will be tomorrow at one of 17-09s three workshops! Only time will tell.

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2016, 06:36:10 pm »

A bit of a back handed compliment calling Alan simple but effective.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2016, 07:59:13 pm »

One thing I did forget on the last post was that 'Allnightin' had mentioned MicronRC, with whom I have been in touch. I was after having a channel for each of the motors, as well as reverse, but they cannot achieve that for me. However, I am hoping to get this week a Rx that will give me forward/reverse on both motors using a 'Y' lead and the battery leads fixed, plus the servo output for the rudders.
I have used a number various methods to get the shaft exits smoothed off and likewise the transom area hairline scratches. The latter did not work using the 'Perfect Plastic' putty, so I chose to take it back with a sponge backed 200 grit, glued to a trimmed down coffee stirrer and then polish the area with scratch remover paste. I will finish off with a fibre glass scratch pen before priming. The shaft exits look smooth and reasonable, but we all know what things look like when we put a light coat of primer on - areas to continue filling and smoothing <:( !!
Let's see what tomorrow brings.
Food now and then the live American Football [NFL] Super Bowl until 0330hrs!!!
Finally, it looks as if MBA-Dover will be looking for a new 'Scale Secretary' soon - eh Big Ada?

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2016, 01:35:47 pm »

Hi Kim
Looking good and this has to be the quickest build you have ever done  {-) {-) {-)

Derek

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2016, 04:14:41 pm »

I was after having a channel for each of the motors, as well as reverse, but they cannot achieve that for me.

I'm a bit puzzled about that as Micron supplied me with a Rx 43 series with two bidirectional ESC.  It worked fine when I tested it on receipt but haven't put it into a mdel yet.  Quoting Andy Rutter at Micron in October 2014:

"The Rx43d-2 has 2 x bi-directional ESC that can supply up to 400mA. ... the current rating can be increased to 800mA or 3A with an add-on amplifier."  See http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/rx_dt_actuator.html#dt_rx43d .

Did you only discuss Rx 60s by any chance?

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2016, 05:32:35 pm »

Allnightin,
Thanks for this. Yes, I did put the RX60 onto my enquiry as it seemed OK and the right weight. I will have a look at the RX43 later and its specifications and get back to them. It would be good if I could have this idea working in this little chap above - still dreamin'!!
I'll keep you all up to date.
Regards, Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2016, 11:58:10 pm »

Well, nearly got blown off the cliffs of Dover today, on my way to 17-09s workshop. When I arrived he said 'which one of my five workshops?' - yes I got it wrong and had left two off! It went downhill from there. In trying to get used to my new Badger Patriot Arrow double action airbrush my 'teacher' was heard to utter words like 'impetuous', 'must listen' and '....try a little harder......', I await my report to arrive in the post - 5/10 - if lucky!! >>:-( It's a long time since I did any 'non-rattle can' spraying.
You will see my efforts below, I have sprayed the white on for the 'reverse masking' technique to apply the waterline. Then later in the week mask to apply the blue [above] and then the red oxide 'anti-foul' coat [below].
You can see the handle 'teacher' made to put through the inside shaft apertures, after filing the ends so as not to damage the bearings. This allowed a good hold and the easy positioning to be able to spray from all sides. I was pleased with the finish. The screwed up paper towel stopped the over-spray from entering inside the hull. That is 'teacher's' hand, by the way.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2016, 08:31:40 am »

Looking good kim.

I went to the top of Beachy head on Saturday which was somewhat breezy too! Very thankful of the big pub up there for the shelter and a huge meal! Popped down to the Eastbourne lifeboat museum as well, good little display and lots in the shop to buy.  :}

What paints are you airbrushing here?

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2016, 11:11:59 am »

Good morning Craig and thanks,
My parents lived up in the 'village' at Eastbourne [brother still lives down in the town] opposite the Hydro Hotel - yes it can get a 'bit blustery'!!
The paints are Vallejo [Spanish company] and this was the white primer which I [suggested by 'teacher] thinned 10 drops from a pippet of thinner to 5ml of paint. When the other two colours are on the hull, plus the Nato Black for the rubber fenders, I'll give it a coat of Vallejo Satin varnish.
Are you going to the Brighton Model World? If so look me [and teacher] out on the LBES stand - this little chap won't be finished!!
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2016, 11:04:48 pm »

Remember this little 'fella' is only some 9" [230mm] long and 3" [75mm] wide.
Visited 17-09 [teacher] in his 'inner' and 'mid' workshops today. Having masked and painted his two of these little 1/72nd scale Severns, I thought I would ask him to mask mine up for the blue acrylic coat [Halford's Ford Balliol Blue 'rattle can']. After more than an hour later he finished and I was allowed to spray away! Tamiya 6mm masking tape was used first and then a next boundary layer of 10mm and after that some genuine Duck tape, where the fine edge was not required - in my book [and 17-09s] you can't beat Tamiya! I took the masking tape off after an hour or so of spraying, pulling the tape away and back over the painted area [carefully] - therefore not pulling the paint 'downwards'.
After a couple more days of drying I will hope to return and we'll then do the anti-foul coat [Halford's Red Plastic Primer also referred to as Red Oxide]. Meantime I hope to finish off the filled in holes at the bow of the deck and spray that grey. This is how mine will appear at the Brighton Model World next week [19th-21st February], alongside 17-09s superbly painted and detailed Dover and Newhaven models - ahead of mine, but not finished. Come and see them in their various states and have a chat. One of 17-09s has a minute blue flashing 'emergency' light, it looks so good.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2016, 02:30:16 am »

As a side note look at this site
www.deltang.Co.UK
Some useful micro escs/rx combined
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2016, 03:44:57 pm »

Klunk,
Thanks for this. Again, like Allnightin recommended with MicronRC, I've been there before and forgotten them, but this looks more like the site I used before - I remember the name Deltang. There's certainly a good choice here. I'll go through them thoroughly and order something when I return from the Brighton Model World. I will do an update here when I get what I want. Thanks again though, this is where the Forum comes in handy and is 'reciprocal'.
Kim

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2016, 03:52:06 pm »

Hi Kim

Little boat looking great. I haven't yet decided on the Brighton model show but will this weekend. I'll have a chat with my dad and see if he fancies a trip down there with me. Only 40 minutes or so from me so not far to go and the previous years it's been good so should make the effort.

I'll let you know what I decide and come and seek you out during the day if I'm there. Are you there all three days?

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.