Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Severn Class in the Workshop - a 1/72nd Lifeboat build and R/C conversion  (Read 30887 times)

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Severn Class in the Workshop - a 1/72nd Lifeboat build and R/C conversion
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2016, 12:49:44 pm »

Hello, Kim..

That was a while ago. It was not long after my friend Neil had shown me pictures of a model he had built of her for the owner of the actual lifeboat, which he had renamed Samuel J and the plans looked similar.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?

As reported a short while ago on my 1/12th Shannon 'thread' I have had a busy past two months and during that time 'upset' my right shoulder joint. So to keep modelling I decided to re-visit the Severn build and seeing as I had two sets of the Airfix water-slide transfers and had been disappointed that the first ones put on had allowed the paint to show through and not look 'bold' enough at this scale, I thought I might have a go at the stern 'red/yellow' corporate striping overlay with the second set.
I decided I would use my new Dr. Slick [from FishTec] small scissors to cut the transfer both out of the sheet and then trim as close to the colour as possible. I use these for my military modelling uses, but as they have a serrated edge on one blade decided to try. I also used my newly acquired stainless Swiss tweezers from Dumont et Fils - absolutely superb! These were also purchased recently for my military modelling projects.
The stern transfer went on well and I shall proceed with the others over the next couple of weeks.
During my recent trip to the Intermodellbau 2017 in Dortmund last week I finally tracked down the very small Rx which has three ESCs built in to control my two motors and will give both forward and reverse on each shaft [tank track style control] and still has control for four servos and two lighting switches!! All at just under 12mm x 14mm and weighing in at just 0.34 grams - how's that for a product. It came from the Sol-Expert Group on www.1zu87modellbau.de and is normally used for the 1/87th scale r/c lorries and trucks. Its code is Rx43d and cost me Euros 37. However, on the small instruction leaflet I noticed it is a unit produced by DelTang [www.deltang.co.uk] in this country at much the same price.
I also purchased a miniature speaker from Tams Elecktronic [13mmx8mm] - used in model railway trains - just in case I can get a friend to build me the sound unit to power it! It's a Mini 1208 [product number 70-03023-01] is just 2.5mm thick and comes with a sound box to fix it in, bringing the depth to 6mm. The power rating is 0.25Watts, impedance is 8 Ohm with a maximum sound level of 68 dB. Being German made the quality is just wonderful, both in construction and sound.
Canterbury Coxswain

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer

Its code is Rx43d and cost me Euros 37. However, on the small instruction leaflet I noticed it is a unit produced by DelTang [www.deltang.co.uk] in this country at much the same price.

Dare I mention our discussions about 14 months ago re this board ............!

Did you get the board set up to your requirements or is that still to be done?  If the latter you may find the downloads at the Micron site handy.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

Allnightin,
No, I had not forgotten your helpful information and I have got the downloads from the Micron site in the past and now for the product I got in Dortmund. Christian who owns and runs Sol-Expert I have got to know over the past four or five years at the Intermodellbau and he calls me 'the mad Englishman'. His English is very good and with some long discussions this unit appeared to be the right one for me and my requirements and low voltage input - time will tell! I had contacted Micron after your recommendation, but what I got was not very helpful at the time - maybe it was just me, as electrics are not my 'forte'.
Good to hear from you again.
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer

For those following and also doing the same conversion, or hoping to later, I forgot to mention that this series of little Rx [receivers] use DMS2 Protocol technology, so require a Spectrum DMS2 or OrangeRX Tx [transmitter] - I have just ordered the latter.
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2017, 03:30:12 pm »

Again, an apology for having had such a period away from the build of this lovely little kit, especially those who are building and converting them in the same way and at the same time. However, if you follow other lifeboat builds on MBM you will see that most of my 'model boat' time has gone into the 1/12th Shannon class build - and this is only a very small part of my life!
This last Wednesday my very good friends - the Arno family - who have come across from Germany again visited 17-21, the Newhaven lifeboat featured here, with me. Paul the Coxswain and Henry the Assistant Mechanic did us proud and we had a good morning and later a fine Italian lunch nearby.
That visit has now inspired me to finish my model in the 'new' colour scheme of the exposed metal fittings throughout [to save on maintenance costs]. I have attached a few photos from those I took, including a shot of one of the new German MTU engines. I know a lot of modellers will not like this paint scheme, but I have now got used to it and thought it would make a different version on show on my stand at Shows next year. It will also always remind me of the great day I had with Arno and his 'ladies'. The build will continue once I get back from the 'Warwick' Show in a couple of weeks time.
Lastly, I am including a detail shot of 17-09's 1/12th front wheelhouse screen shot alongside that of 17-21's taken on Wednesday - see if you can spot which is which! He has even included the small wiper tensioner springs! I believe Alan used 0.9mm stainless tube - you will also see the small detail differences on the fixtures and fittings of each lifeboat.
C.C.

Macsmouldings

• Martin
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2017, 09:21:33 pm »

SPEACHLESS......Alan, that is outstanding fella.
Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2017, 09:53:37 pm »

State of the art that is, indeed!!!
Our visit to the Newhaven lifeboat was a highlight during our recent holiday. The RNLI crew were so friendly and answered all the questions we asked. We felt very happy as the picture shows. Thank you very much Kim, and what a magnificent means this forum is. Without it we never would have made friends with each other.

Kind regards

Arno & family

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2018, 05:07:12 pm »

Any updates on this build?
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2018, 10:53:56 pm »

Boat Captain,
No, not recently as I have spent any spare time away from other hobbies on my Shannon build. However, I have small items now to solder - micro miniature and am just about to get a new micro tip soldering iron. Once that arrives I shall take a deep breath and attempt to wire up the electrics to the receiver. During the next couple of weeks I will attempt to start the exterior detail during a couple of half days. Sorry to keep folk in 'limbo', but so much to do!
Thanks for your interest.
Kim [C.C.]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.