Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P38 Filler - thinning ?  (Read 5331 times)

CliveJ

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
P38 Filler - thinning ?
« on: January 05, 2016, 08:59:56 pm »

Hi all

Is it possible to thin P38 filler and still retain its properties ?

I would like to get it to flow into a void - in its mixed state it is a bit too thick !

Thanks in anticipation

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: P38 Filler - thinning ?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 09:23:37 pm »

I'm not sure about thinning it but you could put some into a syringe and force it in! Failing that maybe fill the void almost full with resin and then fill the final bit with P38 for easy sanding and smoothing.

If the void has a hole then temporarily block the hole with plastercine before filling with resin or injecting P38. Oh or Araldite.

Oh Welcome to the forum by the way :} .  U2

It'll look better when it's finished!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 09:26:05 pm »

I think you can thin with acetone (nail varnish remover) or GRP resin. See this topic link.

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5422

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/55418-anyone-ever-thin-body-filler/

The Acetone may be for smoothing more than thinning.

My advice is to try a little bit on something non essential and see what you get.
Pond weed is your enemy

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 10:36:09 pm »

My Advise as a professional Body and paint man is DONT do it,you will alter the cure time and then there will be a post on here oh HELP it wont cure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 07:00:36 am »

Ah ha, there you have it, Our Stavros is a pro so maybe if you ask him nicely he might just offer you an alternative  ok2 .........
It'll look better when it's finished!

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 08:43:18 am »

I've done it with liquid resin

I used the same make, Isopon I think it is and they share the same hardener so cure together just fine. Mix the filler and resin together first to get the consistency you want then add the hardener and mix.

I suggest you mix some up first though, try the mixing ratios, see if you are happy and just let it cure making sure it goes fully hard before applying to the model just in case your mix doesn't set properly.

Another thing you can do is add a filler material to liquid resin. You can buy very fine powders from fibreglass suppliers and you add a small amount to the resin to thicken it up.

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

inertia

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 09:58:42 am »

Another thing you can do is add a filler material to liquid resin. You can buy very fine powders from fibreglass suppliers and you add a small amount to the resin to thicken it up.
I use this stuff mixed in with Z-Poxy Finishing resin, but any liquid resin will do. Less balloons = thinner filler paste, but it still goes off properly and sands very easily if required.
Works for me.
DM
https://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/en/rc-modelling/72-microballoons-5060243900593.html

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 10:30:56 am »

if you mix normal resin in with filler, it will be harder and the shrinkage will increase.

I have two main polyester based fillers I use, both by Upol (Isopon are the same company, just different brand name).

I use Upol Fantastic and Dolphin glaze. Fantastic is very similar to Easy lite, which is a bit easier to find in stores (e.g. halfords) however you can get Fantastic in a bag/tube instead of a tin, so it stays fresh for longer. Both of these are better than P38 which tends to dry very hard, and therefore is bit of a 'bug-r' to sand.

Dolphin glaze is a stopper, so very thin and runny, however I mix it with a bit of fantastic if I want a filler with a finer consistency.

CliveJ

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 06:39:15 am »

Thanks all
Stavros has the definitive - I won't even try  :-))

Cheers Clive
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.