The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Working Vessels

Coastal range ex-Smit-tug

(1/106) > >>

Hande:
This is the header post of my build.

Based on Billing Boats BB528 (Smit Nederlands), I have started a modified vessel - sister ship of Smit Nederland - ex-Smit Finland, ex-Finland, now UREKA XIV (St Vincent and Grenadines, Malabo, Morocco), IMO 7800473.

I have started by following the instructions of Billing Boats. Turns out there are different versions of the instructions and the part list. So I have hardly begun, when I have had to interpret, and adopt. That's a lot of fun, however.

I have assembled the Becker rudders out of 29 parts each. I am practicing air brush painting with them (Model Color brass).
The props nozzles are installed into the hull with glue (I am really hoping I chose the correct glue!).
The rudder supports (assembled out of 7 parts each) are installed to the prop nozzles (again, did I choose the correct glue?).
The prop shaft pipe supports are installed into the hull in the right positions (I am most surprised about being able to get them right in one shot!).
The anchor chain pipes are tentatively in position (wondering, where I should cut them...).
I have cut and filed the main deck to fit the hull. Gluing ABS to the plywood of the main deck is my main nightmare right now! I'm feeling, if I mess up with that joint, the whole project in in jeopardy. Today, I found a PU glue that says it's especially good for my purpose.

So, this the status, today.

I have conducted research on glues, paints and other. It seems that in almost every step, I have finally ended up with a sub-optimal solution. I suddenly realise it's good to make notes - why not in this forum, to be sure - so as not to repeate mistakes, or at least avoid some of the extra work that I have already spent, in my next project... Heureka! In following posts, you will find my notes. I am eager to see some feedback!

Ok - next I will study how to post some pictures, here. Hold on a minute...

Hande:
NOTE-Rudders.

This particular version comes with a 29-part solution for each rudder. Being as laborious as it is, there is good reason to deliver them in one piece.

Remarks:
- the pieces are acrylic. I used CA to the best of my ability, but still several seams had to be glued again after them breaking. Now, I'm afraid they will break some time later.
- I managed to fit everything so as to allow the rudder to work properly - with some sweat, to be sure.
- To make the Becker-function work, a small brass thread had to be fitted into the tiny upmost bit, which required drilling with high precision. turned out that my dremel is so fast that the speed of the drill _melted_ the plastic! I spent just too much time drilling the on the other rudder and the whole thing was almost lost. The other one went ok. With pathcing and adjusting the rudder seems to work, but it is not pretty. After the paint work and some bending of the thread, the functionality was retained and it doesn't look too bad. The melted portion being hidden under the hull, I decided that I will live with it. May be, allowing time, even forget..?

Hande:
NOTE-Bottom of the hull inside

The instructions say a strip has to be glued in the bottom. Then a sole plate is to be attached.
Since I have no idea about the best method of attaching the sole plate, I leave is loose as long as I can. I don't have the plan ready for the electricals, so I don't know, what kind of room I'm going to need for the assembly of the engine room.

Note my clever three-legged spider that presses the strip down for glueing. There is a block of lead to provide the pressure.
Here, I used Loctite's hybrid glue, and after it having cured, sanitary silicone to keep inevitable water from getting to the strip.

Remarks (or questions that I ask myself, rather):
- Should I have made the bottom strip waterproof before glueing it into the hull?
- Is silicone good in this case?
- Is the hybrid glue the right choice? (this question is because I used that glue in an other place with unsatisfactory results - see a later post)
- How SHOULD the sole plate be attached? Simply glue (I'm thinking waterproof Gorilla wood glue)?
- Why does Billing Boats not suggest provisions to support the main deck?

Brian60:
The Beckers look nice, but I think I would have used the correct acrylic bonding agent rather than superglue.

Hande:
Thanks Brian60.
The thing is - after days of research, I concluded that cyanoacrylate IS the correct one. Sigh...

Now that I searched "acrylic bonding agent" I came to the right place. May be this was a terminology issue? I was just looking for "glue" and "acrylic". Billing didn't use your term in the instructions...

I will append the information into my note.
And everytime a rudder snaps, I will use the correct stuff. I wonder if I'm going to do that 52 times.

btw.
I have learned that not all chemicals are equally available in different countries.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version