Mess Deck: General Section > Tugs and Towing

Scale Matters

(1/7) > >>

Tug Chief:
I would hopefully like to initiate a thought provoking conversation on scale and why people prefer to model in certain scales.  Firstly, I think it would be good to have a little watch of this great harbour scene; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7tZHljQh2Q&index=1&list=PLV-RDeC79CD2IE735ZhGr7T5NF0ECAD5G

The above video is all at 1:50 scale which is my preferred scale for marine modeling, there are a number of reasons for this, but mainly size of craft.  Other factors of course are the level of detail and intricacy of the models and the availability of kits, fixtures and fittings at this scale.

With the ever growing size of vessels 1:50 still seems a sensible scale to work too giving both realistic performance possibilities of models and also realities of scale when looking especially at tug towing competitions.  The average size for a sea going cargo ship or tanker is now over 180m in length and at 1:50 this gives a model length of 3.6m which is a manageable size of tow for most clubs.  With more and more ULCC & ULCV in the world, vessel lengths of 400m are becoming quite a normal occurrence.  Indeed the largest vessel ever, the ULCC Seawise Giant had a length of 458.45m, which even at 1:50 would give a model length of 9.17m or over 30 feet!  If you look at a 2m model barge for example this in true terms is giving you a 100m barge which is a reasonable size.

I agree, when you look at a little Damen 1606 tug for example you start to get down to 0.33m or 13 inches things start to get a little fiddly, but I have 4 tugs of this size and under all perfectly capable and all able to tow!  Given an average ship handling tug in a major port is now between 28-40m LOA this @ 1:50 gives a model size of 56cm – 80cm (<22”-31 ½”) which I think gives a little something for everyone.

By keeping to a reasonable scale it limits the size of propellers and nozzles which can be fitted and thus the power you can get into the water.  I have been involved in tugs all of my life and have never seen a tug tow a ship at scale speeds of over 25 knots!  This suggestion would I feel open the tug towing competitions to a far broader base of modelers and allow every boat from a little Garnock right up to an Aziz have a tow on a relatively balanced playing filed and hopefully entice greater participation.

Please do not get me wrong, I have models in 1:12, 1:16, 1:32, 1:48/50 & 1:108 and love them all and they all have their place in the events which I do, for example for a scale steering event scale is not an issue it is more the overall size of the vessel so I often use 1:24 or 1:32, in the bath it is a different matter and I can only use my Lucky XI at 1:108! 

George Boyd builds some absolutely stunning models in 1:24, and 1:32 as well as other scales and they look out of this world on the water especially when towing the big 14’ SD14 cargo ship, but it of course not every day that you can get these massive tows in the water for pure logistic reasons.  My dear friend Ray Malone builds some exquisite models of Canadian tugs which are small and powerful in reality, but he has models of 24” tug so powerful it would easily tow a 50’ canal barge!

These are just my thoughts on how a national competition could ever be rebuilt in a sensible manner which would allow more clubs and participants to be involved.  It is not meant to offend anyone and comments will be most welcome.

Klunk:
Well I for one have to be able to get the model in my car......A Toyota aygo......or the rollerskate. I cannot fit my robbe Atlantis on it now ( previously had a zafira!) So most boats have to be a maximum of 45" length. Hence the reason I have now sold a lot of 48" plus boats! But I will never sell the Atlantis, I borrow a car when I take that boat out!

Tug Fanatic:
A few points to add to your thoughts if you want to get participants.

1. Is it scale that matters or model size? Any tug you like but no more than say 500mm(?????) length or length + beam less than say 800mm(??????????????)

2. Which came first the larger models or the courses that could accommodate them?

3. How are you going to deal with the a) hot rod builder with the very overpowered model v b) the "mine only draws one amp & won't pull the skin off a rice pudding" builder.

When you do this sort of analysis you can see how the Springer model with its restricted hull spec arose.

I agree that many of the models used in national tug competitions are well over scale for the tows but the guys doing it are enjoying themselves and are often very skilful. It is their hobby & I would not wish to criticize them. Most of the club towing competition that I have seen are small very light tows which hold no interest for me.

irons01:
For me it's model size that is the driving factor, having a Cladercraft Northlight, and Deans Marine HMS Cossack in build they are ideal sizes for putting the car and carrying to the lake, the obvious exception is my 1/72 HMS Dreadnought, but then that I have wanted to build that ship in that scale since I was 11 years old.... However I now wish that I'd bought the Deans kit in 1/96...... That would have been much easier to transport!

Ian

Edit: having seen that this is in Tugs and Towing, none of my models fit the topic!

Brian60:
Interesting discussion.

I personally prefer 1/72. It allows reasonable size models of larger tugs (anchor handlers) and their detailing without being too large to move and handle easily. Trouble is tugs and their offspring in the modern world are now usually in excess of 100mtrs and the latest offerings to come out of yards like Ulstein are close to 150mtrs. That's 10ft in your chosen scale, even at 1/72 its near enough 7ft. No way is your average modeller going to build or even be able to accommodate models of this size.

So you will see that its not a simple case of one size fits all.

Returning to the video, while the ships look good I think the handlers need a little tuition in scale driving! Some of those tugs were practically planing like a hydrofoil. I can't understand why they build such good looking models, then put them on the water and drive them like a 5 year old with a new toy. You build a realistic looking craft, at least make them look realistic on the water.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version