Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Classic Steam Boat in Need of Help  (Read 2678 times)

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Classic Steam Boat in Need of Help
« on: February 02, 2016, 12:22:52 am »

All,

For those who love the 1:1 size models, the inspiration for my current build project has had disappointing news in her refurbishment -- she needs a new boiler.

Link below tells the story.

http://www.mysticseaport.org/news/2016/sabino-will-steam-again/

(Marvin, understood if I've put this in the wrong spot and you move it).   :}

Ken/Landlocked

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Classic Steam Boat in Need of Help
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 09:03:12 pm »

Ken........

Found another Sabino WEB for the new boiler and structural refit........brilliant images and reading :-)).......... Derek

https://www.mysticseaport.org/shipyard/2017/03/remember-the-boiler/
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 02:31:32 am »

Derek,

Thanks for the link.  I'm a member of Mystic Seaport but hadn't found this blog update.

The 1:16 SABINO is making slow progress.  Forward ladders are just about done.  A little clunky but after 6 winters, I want it done!

This spring will include a sea trials.  I'm concerned the forward cabin wall is too close to the burner and will melt.  I've already moved the wall forward once.  If it starts melting, I think I'm looking at switching to electrics.  <*< <:(

Thanks again,
Ken

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 11:36:27 am »

This spring will include a sea trials.  I'm concerned the forward cabin wall is too close to the burner and will melt.  I've already moved the wall forward once.  If it starts melting, I think I'm looking at switching to electrics.  <*< <:(

Thanks again,
Ken

It would be a shame to remove the steam plant because of this. You could try a method used by model jet flyers to protect wood and plastics against heat.
BVM Heat Shield is a water based ceramic paint used to protect fibreglass, plastic or wood surfaces from a heat source. (jet exhaust pipe)  I have tested this by painting a piece of balsa with it and tested it with a small blow torch flame without the wood burning.
http://shopbvmjets.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=29
Some flyers use an insulating mat e.g.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-plumber-s-soldering-mat/54910?kpid=54910&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%2520Listing%2520Ads-_-Sales%2520Tracking-_-sales%2520tracking%2520url&gclid=CMzo8rP639ICFdRAGwodLVsNFQ or
http://www.advantage-motorsport.co.uk/thermo-tec-heat-barrier-12-x-12-adhesive-backed-13500.html?gclid=CPOVvLj639ICFYeVGwodDuEOZQ

You should be able to source the equivalent materials in the US.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 02:02:55 pm »

Ken.....this is getting away from your Sabino build thread however ask is this the area as shown below where you have temperature concerns?........

If so, have you established the actual running temperatures of the gas jet carrier tube and burner cap that installs over the burner mouth?....I believe you may be surprised at the [low] level of the actual temperatures

The other simple point is that the burner complete could be rotated 90 degrees when looking in the burner end ....so that the gas jet carrier was orientated in the horizontal plane

If you do not have one, an el-cheapo [$20.00] digital pyrometer could make an invaluable understanding of the actual system temperatures involved before such a monumental decision to remove the steam plant was made.....

Derek 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 06:47:01 pm »

Ken ,
It would be a shame to make the boat electric powered after such a great job you have made of the build.
You could consider if you are worried to get some Ceramic wool blanket which is 1/16" thk, the kind that the loco guys clad their boilers with and glue it on to the cabin wall.

If you wish to send me a P.M. with your address which I have lost I will post some to you.

George.

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 02:10:57 am »

JimG, Derek, George,

Thanks for all the input and encouragement. 

Yes, that's the concern point (and the styrene wall above it).

Ceramic paint and pyrometer are on order.

JimG,  Boy those jet engines are some expensive toys. 

Derek,  I think I'm getting the same model you have.

I have some ceramic wool already.  We'll make this work. 

Ken,

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 04:29:36 am »

Discovered another classic steam boat in need of help.  The SS Columbia has been saved and is being rebuilt.

The Columbia and sister ship Ste Clair were excursion boats on the Detroit river and provided transportation down river to the Detroit version of Coney Island.

They have huge triple expansion engines that had viewing galleries.  I spend more time mesmerized with their up and down action that running around excited that we were going to the amusement park.  More details on the restoration at this link.

[size=78%]https://sscolumbia.org/[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Ken/Landlocked[/size]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.